cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this and need help interpreting SCRA!!!

tag
gbsil

New to this and need help interpreting SCRA!!!

Does anyone know what types of protection are covered under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act? My only bad marks are from a First Premier credit card that got all the way to 90 days late because I was deployed and left responsibility to pay with my former spouse, which didnt happen. I am desperately seeking any assistance or ideas from anyone!!!!

Starting Score 09/2011: EQ 532, EX 544, TU 536
Current Score: 12/12 EQ 641, EX 679, TU 674
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: New to this and need help interpreting SCRA!!!

Only protection under SCRA is deferring legal action until your deployment is ended. That means you cannot be sued, having house being forclosed, etc while you are deployed. Once your deployment is ended you have one additional year before such protection is also ended.

Message 2 of 4
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I would get copies of your deployment paperwork and send them to creditor via GW letter.  You could also try calling them.  When you call them you may want to setup autodrafts for min payments.  That way when you are deployed at least you will not be late.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@gbsil wrote:

Does anyone know what types of protection are covered under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act? My only bad marks are from a First Premier credit card that got all the way to 90 days late because I was deployed and left responsibility to pay with my former spouse, which didnt happen. I am desperately seeking any assistance or ideas from anyone!!!!

if you are still active duty,  please apply for membership with navy federal credit union.

I would do as another poster has suggested, pay off the account, and send Goodwill letters asking for them to remove the late...

Unfortunately a lot of military guys come home to this sort of situation. 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.