Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this- app spree

tag
Mommy_d
New Visitor

New to this- app spree

Hello! I've been reading thru this site for a few weeks and i decided its time to jump in.

Heres my story:

I haven't used/had any credit cards or debt for 7 years. The reason for that is I just didn't want to get caught up in a bad situation because my husbands job situation was never really stable. I had 2 charge offs and tons of late payments prior to that. So we avoided credit altogether. Last May we bought a new car and when they ran our credit I was told I didn't have a credit score. I was okay with that because I didn't think it mattered. (Btw, We have never defaulted on the car loan.)
Fast froward to about 2 weeks ago.i was out clothes shopping and they gave me the usual hook lime of "get an extra discount if you apply..." And I thought sure what will I lose. I was shocked that i was approved for $1000! So I decided to keep going. Here's what I ended up with:

Torrid $1000
Chase Freedom $500
Discover It $6000
Amex Blue (still waiting on credit limit info)
Marriott Premier Visa $5000
Barclay (Apple) $3500
Best Buy $3000
76 gas card $1500

I don't know my scores other than the Discover card came back with TU score of 749.

I'm obviously stopping there to "garden" as you say. But this all got me thinking, maybe I want to buy a house in a few years. How long do these inquiries take to not affect my credit? How heavily weighted are they when I'm applying for a loan?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: New to this- app spree

@Mommy_d wrote:
Hello! I've been reading thru this site for a few weeks and i decided its time to jump in.

Heres my story:

I haven't used/had any credit cards or debt for 7 years. The reason for that is I just didn't want to get caught up in a bad situation because my husbands job situation was never really stable. I had 2 charge offs and tons of late payments prior to that. So we avoided credit altogether. Last May we bought a new car and when they ran our credit I was told I didn't have a credit score. I was okay with that because I didn't think it mattered. (Btw, We have never defaulted on the car loan.)
Fast froward to about 2 weeks ago.i was out clothes shopping and they gave me the usual hook lime of "get an extra discount if you apply..." And I thought sure what will I lose. I was shocked that i was approved for $1000! So I decided to keep going. Here's what I ended up with:

Torrid $1000
Chase Freedom $500
Discover It $6000
Amex Blue (still waiting on credit limit info)
Marriott Premier Visa $5000
Barclay (Apple) $3500
Best Buy $3000
76 gas card $1500

I don't know my scores other than the Discover card came back with TU score of 749.

I'm obviously stopping there to "garden" as you say. But this all got me thinking, maybe I want to buy a house in a few years. How long do these inquiries take to not affect my credit? How heavily weighted are they when I'm applying for a loan?

Welcome to the forum 

Congarts on your spree you got some nice cards with companies that can grow with you.

INQ's as we call them=inquires AKA ...HP=hard pulls 

They stay on your CR's for 2 years from the date of the pull

After 1 year they have no Fico scoring impact

The ding from new credit usually last for 4-6 months depending on the size of your CR's 

Yours is fairly new so the ding may last a little longer

INQ's have an high impact on scores so in your case just garden for 6-8 months using the cards and letting 1 card report a balance of 1-9% monthly to the CB=credit bureaus

All others make sure before statement cut dates are $0 PIF=paid in full

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
Anthonykc
New Contributor

I'm still wondering why Chase Freedom gave you such a low amount. 

also you can call the number for AMEX to find your CL, keep us updated. i want to see what they gave you, considering chase was only $500

btw CONGRATS and WELCOME

Current Score: 715 Goal Score: 775 Will Garden Soon.

CapitalOne Platinum $1.5K | CapitalOne MTV $1.5K | BestBuy Store $6K | Kays $3.5K | Military Star $2K | DiscoverIT $8K | AMEX BCE $1K Smiley Sad | NFUC Flagship $13.5K | USAA World MC $8K | USAA Rate Adv $8K | CSP 5K 10/2013 | NFCU LOC $10K
Message 3 of 4
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Congrats!! Im surprised with all these great initial CL Discover is providing. Also congrats on the 76 CL that should multiply very quick.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.