Reply
Valued Member
Flo
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎02-28-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

The CapOne will never reach more than a $1000 CL, which is OK, since they promote these kinda cards as credit build cards.

 

And FICO likes Aliens - they have a different payment strategy and did not grow up living off credit cards like a few Americans do. :smileywink:

FICOs April'09 : TU 743, EQ 725, EX:733
FICOs March'09: TU 694, EQ 725, EX 733
Established Member
Tasksgirl
Posts: 39
Registered: ‎09-30-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit


salsa34 wrote:
My hubby just got his SSN and PR card in September '08 and his FICO is currently 750!  Here is what we did...added to him my checking account which had a $1,000 line of credit on it, dating back to April '08.  In December '09 he applied for and received a Capital One Card in his name with $300 limit.  He used the card and paid off the bills on time for 3 months.  By April of '09 (one year anniversary of the oldest item on his credit report), his FICO was 750.  I am amazed it was that easy!

 

LOL hey are you the same Salsa from i2us and that I met in CDJ in September 08??

 

How funny if you are ..

 

My husband's credit is probably horrible (from before) or unestablished.  We have been meaning to get an secured card for him but we weren't quite sure what to do.  I thought I had read that you couldn't get credit by adding AU anymore.. I guess I really messed up!  Hubby got his SSN and PR card the exact same time as yours..  I feel horrible now .. We didn't plan ahead and now we won't be able to include his income on our home loan.. but probably we wouldn't be able to anyway since he just started working.. not sure how that works!  It's a bit overwhelming starting over..

Established Contributor
Ulan
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎09-09-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

Sometimes it helps if you are in an area where realtors are used to people coming over from overseas. I know that all my European colleagues had absolutely no problem with getting mortgages without credit file, because the mortgage companies had an excellent internal track record with people from Europe. It was a bit weird. There was no way to get cable TV or a cell phone, but a mortgage? No problem :smileyvery-happy:.

 

I have to admit that this was before everything went wacky, though.

Established Member
Tasksgirl
Posts: 39
Registered: ‎09-30-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

uh .. nvm LOL .. I was finally able to get his Fico score (last time I just kept getting errors) and his is higher than mine!  I have a 669 and a 645 and he has a 706 !   I had added him to all of my accounts before and when we paid them off it made a huge difference.  I guess it finally sycned up his old number with his new one.  He also had a $5,000 card that we paid off.  I guess that is why his is higher !  wow.. haha thank you for this post or else I probably wouldn't have checked.. I guess we did all the right moves after all!  I still want to see TU to make sure this isn't some kind of fluke but it says he is locked out ??
New Visitor
sflewis
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-01-2009
0

Re: New to this country....need credit


Tasksgirl wrote: 
I still want to see TU to make sure this isn't some kind of fluke but it says he is locked out ??

You may need to call to get the account unlocked. I had that same problem, and they just needed to verify that I was me.

Regular Contributor
iwantbettercredit
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎10-20-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

You know not to be paranoid or anything, and I am all for being friendly and helpful, however, I do think since we do not know each other personally on here we need to be careful what we advise, especially to persons new in our country.  This person is seeking ways to gain credit and is new here, recently married to a women with excellent credit and he is wanting to become an authorized user quickly to gain independence????? Almost sounds like a I paid you to marry me and get credit and then go on my way scheme.

(Sorry! and I do hope I am wrong, but you sound very suspicious to me).

Homeland security is demanding extra identity verification for safety reasons. I do not think we should be helping someone we do not know.  I do not think this is a board twas meant to coach illegal individuals or pending legal individuals on how to gain credit quickly.  If all of you disagree with me I am sorry but it is just my gut feeling.

"All I want for Christmas is to be able to pay our debts"
Established Contributor
Ulan
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎09-09-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

[ Edited ]

iwantbettercredit wrote:

 I do not think this is a board twas meant to coach illegal individuals or pending legal individuals on how to gain credit quickly.  If all of you disagree with me I am sorry but it is just my gut feeling.


I think this post is completely uncalled for. Nobody here gives any advice to circumvent legal practices. Do you think it is especially fun to move into this country or just legally work here and not being able to transfer sometimes decades of completely healthy credit history? When I came here I had to start completely from scratch, even though I opened my account by charging a foreign credit card.

 

Given that there are roughly 1,000,000 legal immigrants to this country every year, I would really abstain from any assumptions of the kind you gave in your post.

 

 

Message Edited by Ulan on 06-03-2009 10:17 PM
Established Member
Tasksgirl
Posts: 39
Registered: ‎09-30-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

[ Edited ]

iwantbettercredit wrote:

You know not to be paranoid or anything, and I am all for being friendly and helpful, however, I do think since we do not know each other personally on here we need to be careful what we advise, especially to persons new in our country.  This person is seeking ways to gain credit and is new here, recently married to a women with excellent credit and he is wanting to become an authorized user quickly to gain independence????? Almost sounds like a I paid you to marry me and get credit and then go on my way scheme.

(Sorry! and I do hope I am wrong, but you sound very suspicious to me).

Homeland security is demanding extra identity verification for safety reasons. I do not think we should be helping someone we do not know.  I do not think this is a board twas meant to coach illegal individuals or pending legal individuals on how to gain credit quickly.  If all of you disagree with me I am sorry but it is just my gut feeling.


 

Do you have any idea how insulting this is?  I can speak for myself and Salsa (who I know from an immigration forum and actually met at our husband's immigration interviews) and first of all, we had to go through ALOT to get our husbands legal.  While you are bringing it up I know dozens of couples seperated from their spouses, many with children.  This process is hard enough and confusing enough.  To be constantly accused of a "fake marriage" is just another stab in the heart to these families.  Secondly, I have been with my husband for many years - is it not normal to want him to establish a legitmate life as soon as possible which includes working legally and having a credit history?  What is this "pending legal" there is illegal or legal and we are discussing legal permanent residents who went to the back of the line and did this correctly.  I am not sure what here you have an issue with. Also, MYFICO just sent out an entire email dedicated to new immigrants establishing credit history.  It is a huge problem for many.

Message Edited by Tasksgirl on 06-04-2009 02:46 PM
Message Edited by Tasksgirl on 06-04-2009 02:46 PM
Established Member
Tasksgirl
Posts: 39
Registered: ‎09-30-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

and BTW I don't think "marrying someone for their credit" is a common occurance..
Valued Contributor
wmarat
Posts: 1,754
Registered: ‎11-03-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

[ Edited ]

Tasksgirl wrote:

iwantbettercredit wrote:

You know not to be paranoid or anything, and I am all for being friendly and helpful, however, I do think since we do not know each other personally on here we need to be careful what we advise, especially to persons new in our country.  This person is seeking ways to gain credit and is new here, recently married to a women with excellent credit and he is wanting to become an authorized user quickly to gain independence????? Almost sounds like a I paid you to marry me and get credit and then go on my way scheme.

(Sorry! and I do hope I am wrong, but you sound very suspicious to me).

Homeland security is demanding extra identity verification for safety reasons. I do not think we should be helping someone we do not know.  I do not think this is a board twas meant to coach illegal individuals or pending legal individuals on how to gain credit quickly.  If all of you disagree with me I am sorry but it is just my gut feeling.


 

Do you have any idea how insulting this is?  I can speak for myself and Salsa (who I know from an immigration forum and actually met at our husband's immigration interviews) and first of all, we had to go through ALOT to get our husbands legal.  While you are bringing it up I know dozens of couples seperated from their spouses, many with children.  This process is hard enough and confusing enough.  To be constantly accused of a "fake marriage" is just another stab in the heart to these families.  Secondly, I have been with my husband for many years - is it not normal to want him to establish a legitmate life as soon as possible which includes working legally and having a credit history?  What is this "pending legal" there is illegal or legal and we are discussing legal permanent residents who went to the back of the line and did this correctly.  I am not sure what here you have an issue with. Also, MYFICO just sent out an entire email dedicated to new immigrants establishing credit history.  It is a huge problem for many.

Message Edited by Tasksgirl on 06-04-2009 02:46 PM
Message Edited by Tasksgirl on 06-04-2009 02:46 PM

No, it is not. It requires patience and carefull planning.

Message Edited by wmarat on 06-04-2009 02:54 PM
IN VINO VERITAS.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+