Reply
Valued Contributor
wmarat
Posts: 1,754
Registered: ‎11-03-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

[ Edited ]

You are wrong.

 

But what do I know, I am just an immigrant.

 


iwantbettercredit wrote:

You know not to be paranoid or anything, and I am all for being friendly and helpful, however, I do think since we do not know each other personally on here we need to be careful what we advise, especially to persons new in our country.  This person is seeking ways to gain credit and is new here, recently married to a women with excellent credit and he is wanting to become an authorized user quickly to gain independence????? Almost sounds like a I paid you to marry me and get credit and then go on my way scheme.

(Sorry! and I do hope I am wrong, but you sound very suspicious to me).

Homeland security is demanding extra identity verification for safety reasons. I do not think we should be helping someone we do not know.  I do not think this is a board twas meant to coach illegal individuals or pending legal individuals on how to gain credit quickly.  If all of you disagree with me I am sorry but it is just my gut feeling.


 

 

Message Edited by wmarat on 06-04-2009 02:55 PM
IN VINO VERITAS.
Established Member
Tasksgirl
Posts: 39
Registered: ‎09-30-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit



No, it is not. It requires patience and carefull planning.

Message Edited by wmarat on 06-04-2009 02:54 PM

Well not a "huge problem" as I said, that was the wrong way to phrase it.. but what I was trying to say was that it's a relevant issue to many people, apparently enough to cause MyFico to send out an entire e-mail newsletter dedicated to new immigrants establishing credit.

Valued Contributor
wmarat
Posts: 1,754
Registered: ‎11-03-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

Oh, it is a huge issue for all people, whether they understand it or not.

 


Tasksgirl wrote:


No, it is not. It requires patience and carefull planning.

Message Edited by wmarat on 06-04-2009 02:54 PM

Well not a "huge problem" as I said, that was the wrong way to phrase it.. but what I was trying to say was that it's a relevant issue to many people, apparently enough to cause MyFico to send out an entire e-mail newsletter dedicated to new immigrants establishing credit.


 

 

IN VINO VERITAS.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

Being an authorized user on a spouse's card is a perfectly legitimate way to establish credit, whether for a native-born American or a recent immigrant. Why would it be somehow suspect for one person to do so, and not another?

Please remember that we have a wonderful mishmash of members here, and be friendly, supportive and respectful!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
fevmlo
Posts: 640
Registered: ‎03-28-2008
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

Nice to know that we immigrants are viewed as "suspicious" if we want to establish ourselves as real live fully-functioning members of society. That was a spectacularly xenophobic and insulting post up there. Makes me sad. :smileysad:

 

Perhaps the OP would like to buy a car without having to get his wife to co-sign for it. Presumably they might want to buy a house together at some point in the not-too-distant future, and establishing credit would be pretty vital if trying to get approved for a mortgage. An immigrant arriving in the US is in the same situation credit-wise as a college-aged kid, and if (like me when I moved to the US) they're considerably older than that, they have some serious catching-up to do. Already I've been asked suspiciously why my credit file is so short at my age, by a BofA underwriter - luckily my explanation (only been in the US a short time) seemed to relieve them, rather than concern them. 

 

I too am (obviously) an immigrant, here because my husband is American. I love it here, but he and he alone is the reason I am in this country. When you move to the US in such a situation, it is natural and normal, from my experience and the experience of others I know in a similar situation, to want to get "up to speed" and feel "independent" as quickly as you can. That's "independent" as in "able to function like an equal partner in the marriage rather than a child" rather than as in "dubious foreign type who can't wait to run off cackling into the sunset at the earliest opportunity". "Establish credit" is right up there on the list of To-Do-As-Soon-As-Possibles not far behind "get social security number" and "obtain driver's license".  

EQ: 723 / TU: 760 (August 2009)
Valued Contributor
wmarat
Posts: 1,754
Registered: ‎11-03-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

I am wondering, should we (immigrants) appologise and justify ourselves.

 

Each immigrant has choosen to move to this country for his/hers own reasons. Each legal immigrant made it by the book, going through countless circles of bureaucrtic hell. 

 

By the way, this country is the world's melting pot, where almost each resident is an immigrant at least in 7th generation.

 

Yes, there are people who use system to their advantage. Yes, there are dishonest people. So what. All here born peple are crystal clear moralists?

 

Indeed, it was xenophobic post, and insulting, but IMHO  a poster insulted himself/herself.

I wish it were ignore function here.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Regular Contributor
iwantbettercredit
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎10-20-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit


p350z wrote:

I just got married a couple months ago and recently received my work permit and social security number. My next step is to get a job and build my credit. She has excellent credit, not sure of the score but close to 800 I believe.  My plan was to become an authorized user on her credit card.  After doing some research I have found that this is a very successful strategy.

 

Does anyone know how much and how fast this can improve my score? Also, since I have no credit what would my score be right now? Her cards have been open for over 10 years. Will I receive the same benefits as her as to the length of the accounts being open or will my report just show the beginning date as when I signed up to be an authorized user. One last question. Should I sign up to be an authorized user on all her cards or start slow? She has one with a $20,000 limit and a 0 balance...........wow, I am lucky!

 

Thanks 


Ok, First let me say this.  I have no problem at all with anyone coming into the united states in order to start a better life or because they want to be with their families or because they met someone and fell in love and want to be together,  With that being said, maybe I could have chosen better words in previous post but the above post kinda got to me.  My intend with my previous post was not insult any specific groups of people amd if it was taken that way i do apologize, however, one of the greatest things about living in the US is ou right to free speech and also my right to report anything suspicion that could effect my country, neighbors, family and friends.  My previous was in response to and directed at p350z and no one else. If you wish to put yourself in his shoes then so be it that is your choice.  Now for the reason I started my comments:  Read his posting....First clue I had was "New to this country...need credit" to me that statement is uncalled for, we do not need to know you are new, who cares, he has drawn attention to himself by stating that. His comments also have an urgent or hurried feel to it, like he is rushing to get credit and hoping his wifes excellent credit with accomplish this for him because that is his plan or stategy as he puts it in his own words. So, what is my problem with this?????  My problem is we have international terrorist as well as domestic terrorists in our country who for whatever reason are trying in inflict harm on us (Meaning everyone here in the US) A good example the reason for all of this is Sept 11th.  People who came into this country protrayed themselves as being friendly, eager to establish themselves quickly  and all was done with the intent to harm citizens and non citizens in the USA.  As with all marriages, you built on it.  Good credit comes from many things including your habits, planning and your goals in life and when you get married over time you both plan for long term dreams, goals and what you what to accomplish.  You do not simply get married and then try your hardest to get excellent credit over night.  We have plenty of domestic bad people in this country who prey on women and men and take advantage of them by using them for their money and credit and scam them into having nothing left.  It is my nature to try to protect anyone from getting hurt by these types of people no matter what color race, sex, nationality.  I do not want to see anyone get hurt or taken advantage of and if I can help that then I will and if you all have a problem with that then to bad. 

I found p350z's post to be suspicious based on his comments only and was concerned about his plans, stategy and who it could effect. Actually he might have had very sincere intent, but it did not hit me that way.

Thank you I have said my peace.

"All I want for Christmas is to be able to pay our debts"
Moderator Emeritus
llecs
Posts: 32,869
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit


iwantbettercredit wrote:

First clue I had was "New to this country...need credit" to me that statement is uncalled for, we do not need to know you are new, who cares, he has drawn attention to himself by stating that. His comments also have an urgent or hurried feel to it, like he is rushing to get credit and hoping his wifes excellent credit with accomplish this for him because that is his plan or stategy as he puts it in his own words. So, what is my problem with this?????  My problem is we have international terrorist as well as domestic terrorists in our country.......


Not everybody who comes into this country is a terrorist.

 

....but before I post further, welcome p350z to the USA! We're glad you are here!

 

 

 I have some in-laws that applied to enter into this country over 20 years ago. Their number was finally called in January and they entered this country to make it their home and eventually to become American citizens. None of them are terrorists. One of the two brothers is a farmer and the other was a mechanic. Well, I guess one could throw seeds at you or chase you with a rake. Joking aside, they came here with not much in their pockets but were able to get jobs right away.

 

Unfortunately when you come here, you do have to establish credit in a hurry. The biggest challenge these two face are finding a place to live for themselves and their families. Not many places in the DC area will allow you to rent without a credit check first. Without credit, they have no chance of moving into an apartment. Then there are other issues too like establishing utilities once they get a place, getting phone/cell phone service, some banks check your credit first, car insurance will charge a higher rate with poor/no credit, and so on. Eventually they'd like to get a home, car, etc and have the ability to finance them if needed. The time to start building your credit is now, not later.

 

There's no nefarious reason to rush into this. It just has to be done.

 

Regular Contributor
iwantbettercredit
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎10-20-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit


llecs wrote:

iwantbettercredit wrote:

First clue I had was "New to this country...need credit" to me that statement is uncalled for, we do not need to know you are new, who cares, he has drawn attention to himself by stating that. His comments also have an urgent or hurried feel to it, like he is rushing to get credit and hoping his wifes excellent credit with accomplish this for him because that is his plan or stategy as he puts it in his own words. So, what is my problem with this?????  My problem is we have international terrorist as well as domestic terrorists in our country.......


Not everybody who comes into this country is a terrorist.

 

....but before I post further, welcome p350z to the USA! We're glad you are here!

 

 

 I have some in-laws that applied to enter into this country over 20 years ago. Their number was finally called in January and they entered this country to make it their home and eventually to become American citizens. None of them are terrorists. One of the two brothers is a farmer and the other was a mechanic. Well, I guess one could throw seeds at you or chase you with a rake. Joking aside, they came here with not much in their pockets but were able to get jobs right away.

 

Unfortunately when you come here, you do have to establish credit in a hurry. The biggest challenge these two face are finding a place to live for themselves and their families. Not many places in the DC area will allow you to rent without a credit check first. Without credit, they have no chance of moving into an apartment. Then there are other issues too like establishing utilities once they get a place, getting phone/cell phone service, some banks check your credit first, car insurance will charge a higher rate with poor/no credit, and so on. Eventually they'd like to get a home, car, etc and have the ability to finance them if needed. The time to start building your credit is now, not later.

 

There's no nefarious reason to rush into this. It just has to be done.

 


 


No Duh!!!! where on earth did I say everyone who comes into this country is a terrorist.  You are just looking to make my words mean what you want them to mean.  Yes, I do understand people need to get credit, utilities a place to live, etc. However, he stated he married a women with excellent credit. She obviously has all those things, he can now take his time and earn it like all of of have to.  Secondly, If I cant afford to move, I dont.  I would not move to another country with a place to live and my future secured.  I would not expect some else to accomplish these things for me.  So yeah, to all those who came here and did it the right way, hard work, patience, and law obiding I earn it myself through patience, hard work and diligence, I too welcome them also the USA,
"All I want for Christmas is to be able to pay our debts"
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: New to this country....need credit

Really, if you look at the main theme of this argument, it's not about immigrants getting credit too quickly.

It's the age-old argument about whether it is ethical to use AU status to improve one's credit profile and scores more quickly than would happen without it. And that's a debate that periodically rages up and down the forums. Spouses are OK, but not kids; spouses and kids but not siblings; blood relatives but not friends; and on and on.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}