Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb with question about Walmart CLI

tag
sunnysideup
Established Member

Newb with question about Walmart CLI

When I applied for the Walmart CLI, I was honest about being a student and using household income (spouse).  I have only had the card about a month, and I have a $600 limit.  I am planning on using the card heavily for Christmas, and I am wondering if I have any chance of getting a CLI with the backdoor number.  What will they ask me?  Will they ask me about not having a job/being a student?  Will they ask me for household income?  Do I have to worry about them closing my account once a real person sees that I am a student with no job?  Also, will it hurt me to have a couple of other accounts with GE and deferred student loans? My score has taken a bit of a dive since I applied (due to other new accounts), and I am at 620 TU FICO (from Walmart).  I have already been denied on the automated line because of it being a newer account, but I have read here and elsewhere that people are still having luck getting CLI's. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: Newb with question about Walmart CLI

@sunnysideup wrote:

When I applied for the Walmart CLI, I was honest about being a student and using household income (spouse).  I have only had the card about a month, and I have a $600 limit.  I am planning on using the card heavily for Christmas, and I am wondering if I have any chance of getting a CLI with the backdoor number.  What will they ask me?  Will they ask me about not having a job/being a student?  Will they ask me for household income?  Do I have to worry about them closing my account once a real person sees that I am a student with no job?  Also, will it hurt me to have a couple of other accounts with GE and deferred student loans? My score has taken a bit of a dive since I applied (due to other new accounts), and I am at 620 TU FICO (from Walmart).  I have already been denied on the automated line because of it being a newer account, but I have read here and elsewhere that people are still having luck getting CLI's. 

hello and welcome! walmart backdoor number will ask you for your income it is possible to get a increase. You will not have to worry about them closing your account especially if you are using the card and paying on time. I would suggest let your current cards grow. You wanting to app more just being a student is not a good idea.

Message 2 of 16
sunnysideup
Established Member

Thanks.  So, you think it's a bad idea to ask for Walmart CLI?  I was planning on using it for Christmas, and PIF by spring.  All the other cards I was going to let season a little while longer.  I graduate in May. 

Message 3 of 16
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@sunnysideup wrote:

Thanks.  So, you think it's a bad idea to ask for Walmart CLI?  I was planning on using it for Christmas, and PIF by spring.  All the other cards I was going to let season a little while longer.  I graduate in May. 

if its only a month old id personally wait. until decemeber and say you want to buy some electronics for the kids and take advantage of the 0percent deals.  

i apped in late july and asked for a cli in early october (3 months) and was denied by the system. due to being to new. 

i called and asked to talk to a rep/uw and they forwarded my request. 

i asked for 3k total to buy some tvs for the holiday season which i plan on doing just not too 3k maybe 2k max. 

i have no baddies only short aaoa due to so many new cards this summer. they soft pulled me and approved me next day. 

income stated was 27k (which is my personal income before my promotion and raise) 

my dti is 11% and util was 4% at time of asking. 

i was denied the same for american eagle that was actually less since i asked for 400 to 1k vs 800 to 3k. 

walmart score that month was 724

hope this helps. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 16
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@sunnysideup wrote:

You can call the backdoor number and ask for the cli. I was saying bad idea to app for more ge cards. walmart is really a gr8 card and it definitely will grow with you.

Message 5 of 16
sunnysideup
Established Member

Oh yeah....I wasn't going to app for any more cards at all.  Just trying to let things settle for now.  But, $600 will not be enough for the stuff I am buying for Christmas - I need to buy some electronics and was going to take advantage of a coupon I found at my store which says "No interest if paid in full within 12 months on any purchase of $299 or more mad in-store on your Walmart credit card"  So, I was hoping to put my Christmas purchases on the card and then PIF in a few months, and then I won't have to pay interest.  Smiley Wink

I'm just wondering what my chances are - my scores are not as good at others, my util is probably not that great right now, and the card is new, but so many people have reported CLI's because of the holidays, that I was hoping this might work out.  It's not sounding too good - is it? I guess I can call and see.  The number I have is 8773794936.  Who do I ask for?

Message 6 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

that's the number I used to get a $5,000 cli on my Wmt Discover earlier this week and a $6,000 cli on my Paypal MC today! haha  when they answer, just say very nicely that you'd like to inquire about a credit line increase on your "xx" account. They handle all GECRB accounts, except JCP.

I'd ask for $2,500. See if they counter. They actually have never countered any of my CLIs, EVER. They always approve them within five minutes, even when I had a 640 FICO.

Also, last year and the year before they did a promo where ANY purchase was with 0% for six months during the month of December.... that was an awesome deal!! I stocked up on a bunch of stuff with that deal... cleaning supplies, hygiene products, etc. HAHA :-)

good luck! Don't feel dumb for calling either! Just be confident!! Believe it or not, a thicker credit line will typically help your score.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

oh btw, I have $36k in deferred student loans. They never ask me about anything, except when I had a couple of baddies, they asked about those, but they were fraud which I promptly explained. They are the nicest foreigners Ive ever spoke with on that number... very nice and respectful.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 16
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Yes call and keep us posted! you should be fine!

Message 9 of 16
sunnysideup
Established Member

The man was so kind and nice.  I asked.  The man said it would take a few minutes to check on it, and put me on hold.  And the answer?  *drum roll*  Denied....will get a letter in the mail.  I guess that is to be expected.  I will definitely try back in December and see if I have better luck. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.