Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Credit Card advice needed

tag
IDrummer3
New Visitor

Newbie Credit Card advice needed

I was just approved for my first credit card (Cap1 Platinum MC) in the past 8 years. The last time I checked my score was around March and it was around 640. Since then I have been making payments on 2 loans both on time. I'm assuming I am still in the mid to high 600s. Should I apply for another card to help boost my score? If so what would I be the most likely to be approved for. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
IDrummer3
New Visitor

Re: Newbie Credit Card advice needed

Also it may be worth noting I have also had Directv in my name since January. Also with no late payments.
Message 2 of 6
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

If you don't have any baddies on your CR you might be able to pick up like a Walmart card. Your honestly best off waiting 6 months if you just got that capital one card, use it heavily up to the CL and PIF. If you have any baddies try to pay them off and remove them. There's not much you can do with technically 1 month or so of history, depending when you got that cap 1 card. However in 6 months or so you'll be able to qualify for a few much better cards.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 3 of 6
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I would look at your reports (if you havent already) so you know for sure where you stand. If you have to recon anything you will want to do so fully prepared.

What kind of utilization is reporting on your Cap1 card and what are you looking for in a new card are some things to consider.
Message 4 of 6
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

*I should add that since the Cap1 account is new and you may have a thin file you may want to consider waiting it out another 6 months.
Message 5 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@IDrummer3 wrote:
I was just approved for my first credit card (Cap1 Platinum MC) in the past 8 years. The last time I checked my score was around March and it was around 640. Since then I have been making payments on 2 loans both on time. I'm assuming I am still in the mid to high 600s. Should I apply for another card to help boost my score? If so what would I be the most likely to be approved for. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum

A lot more info is needed as one poster stated need to pull CR's 

INQ's in the last year?

Scores?

Baddies?

What type of loans/TL's do you have now?

What type of cards are you looking for cash back/ travel?

Do yu shop at Walmart?

How old is the CAP1?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.