Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie...Looking for some advice.

tag
MYCherie
Regular Contributor

Newbie...Looking for some advice.

Hi everyone, first of I would like to thank you for where I ama today.  This forum has assisted me on the road to credit recovery, but I believe I may have missed up.  For the last year I have been a lurker and finally decided to tell my story and will make it quick.  I had the below cards

BBRZ 300

Cap1 500

Cap 1 500

Household 320

My scores were around 540-580, then this summer i just on a whim with a friend who applied I applied also for a Jared, they gave me 6000 and I felt pretty good so I applied at khols, Cap 1 who gave me 300. During the middle of November addicted to this forum thought shoot let me apply for something else, since everyone is doing so well and I pay my cards in full and very seldom get a balance reported , about 20% util.  I started on a stupid app spree and were approved for the below, 

Wal Mart 400

Amazon Card 700

Pay Pal Connect 800

Macys 600

Bloomies 300

Old Navy 200

I am now afriad that because I have all these inquires I will not get a decent card besides Cap 1, Barclays denid me for too many inquiries.  Sigh I know should have read the threads better Smiley Mad

What should I do now if I want to gain better footing in getting a discover or anything else at this point besides store cards.

Income 98k and aaoa 3.5 with new cards and I just received my scores throu equifax 555 and experian 561 and walmart Fico 623.

Starting: 563 | Current: 646 | Goal: 750.
Garden 09/24/2013

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: Newbie...Looking for some advice.

@MYCherie wrote:

Hi everyone, first of I would like to thank you for where I ama today.  This forum has assisted me on the road to credit recovery, but I believe I may have missed up.  For the last year I have been a lurker and finally decided to tell my story and will make it quick.  I had the below cards

BBRZ 300

Cap1 500

Cap 1 500

Household 320

My scores were around 540-580, then this summer i just on a whim with a friend who applied I applied also for a Jared, they gave me 6000 and I felt pretty good so I applied at khols, Cap 1 who gave me 300. During the middle of November addicted to this forum thought shoot let me apply for something else, since everyone is doing so well and I pay my cards in full and very seldom get a balance reported , about 20% util.  I started on a stupid app spree and were approved for the below, 

Wal Mart 400

Amazon Card 700

Pay Pal Connect 800

Macys 600

Bloomies 300

Old Navy 200

I am now afriad that because I have all these inquires I will not get a decent card besides Cap 1, Barclays denid me for too many inquiries.  Sigh I know should have read the threads better Smiley Mad

What should I do now if I want to gain better footing in getting a discover or anything else at this point besides store cards.

Income 98k and aaoa 3.5 with new cards and I just received my scores throu equifax 555 and experian 561 and walmart Fico 623.

Congrats! I think you went for too many cards backed by the same bank : GE in such a short time. A thread recently stated they closed all of the accounts because they were all GE and opened within a short time and they got spooked. I would lay low and let them garden also note GE is very good with Credit Limit Increases. So if nothing happens and they stay open just wait for them to age and request CLI's throughout the year for different cards with time between each account. 

Message 2 of 12
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Honestly, yes you may have opened too many cards in a very short period lol. The good news is, all of this positive credit will work for you while you're not paying attention to it. After 1 year, the Inq's won't affect your FICO, but they'll stay on there for 2 years. How many Inq's are you at? and how many are scheduled to fall off within the next few months?

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
MYCherie
Regular Contributor

Thanks CC365, I just read the same thing about closing of the cards. Ugh... I hope not.  I have been sitting on the Cap 1 cards for over a year and a half.  I am going to fly under the radar.. Yep 5 Ge cards, I pray they do not close me.  Its been almost 30 days so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Garden 09/24/2013

Message 4 of 12
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Hopefully they just let you skate by. I think you'll make it if you've already went 30 days.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
MYCherie
Regular Contributor

I have are you ready 28 inq....(covering my face, blushing)  But I have 9 which will fall off the first 3 months of 2013.  I hope so and will stay in the garden, just afraid so many store cards will keep me from getting anything prime...

Garden 09/24/2013

Message 6 of 12
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Lots of cards but are they what you want? I mean wouldn't you prefer two or three primes with better individual CL's? At 98K and 3.5 AAoA what's holding you back?
Message 7 of 12
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I would have to agree. Too many GE backed cards. It's ok to have maybe one or two cards from the same bank but anymore than that and the limits will begin to decline. It just gets to point where a single bank is only willing to lend you so much money. Never fear, GE limits will grow with you in about 4 to 6 months with a few potentially upgrading. I know the Walmart upgrades to Discover. I think Old Navy upgrades to VISA.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 12
MYCherie
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I would love only a few prime cards but I apped for Citibank, whom I bank with and Discover both declined. I figured more time is needed..

Garden 09/24/2013

Message 9 of 12
djrez4
Established Contributor

Let's talk about the derogatories on your reports....

There have to be quite a few for you to have scores in the 500s.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.