Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Question......

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Re: Newbie Question......

@jamie123 wrote:

What is the reporting balance you ask? The CC companies report your account balance once each month to the CRAs. The reporting date varies from your payment due date, up to your payment due date + 3 to 4 days, so you need to control the balance on your card for this approx. 1 week period each month.

Jamie123, are you sure it is payment date? I was under the impression it was STATEMENT DATE. Please confirm.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 11 of 37
jamie123
Valued Contributor

In my experience they report any where from the payment due date, until 3 to 4 days after the payment due date. The statement date usually falls in that date range also.

If you pay your balance down to zero by the payment due date and then say, charge something 2 days after the payment due date, but before the statement date, they will sometimes report that NEW charge even though it is after the payment due date and your balance had been paid to zero.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 12 of 37
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

What is the reporting balance you ask? The CC companies report your account balance once each month to the CRAs. The reporting date varies from your payment due date, up to your payment due date + 3 to 4 days, so you need to control the balance on your card for this approx. 1 week period each month.

Jamie123, are you sure it is payment date? I was under the impression it was STATEMENT DATE. Please confirm.

I have to correct Jamie there............The CC companies report your account balance once each month to the CRAs on the statement cut off time.....On OP case, its on the 12 of every months but they usually report to credit bureaus after 2 to 3 days. I have monitor my account for several months and leave a balance report higher a lil bit than the previous months like $2 dollars and i get the Alert Score Watch after 3 4 ddays payment cut off time.

Example:

My Crappy one cut off time on 13 of each month and i usually get Alert Score Watch on 16 or 17 if i let the balance increase a few dollars.

Credit One Cut off time 10 of each month........ALert on 13 to 15.......

Hope its clear all the newbie..............Feel free to contact me if you still confuse..........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 13 of 37
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

I learned this the hard way with BoA. I put a reccuring charge on my BoA card. It shows up in my "pending" charges 1 or 2 days before my payment due date each month. BoA won't allow me to pay it until it clears. BoA sometimes doesn't clear this payment until 1 or 2 days AFTER my payment due date. If I fail to pay it on the day that it clears, it gets reported to the CRAs even though my balance was zero on the payment due date.

Message 14 of 37
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

I learned this the hard way with BoA. I put a reccuring charge on my BoA card. It shows up in my "pending" charges 1 or 2 days before my payment due date each month. BoA won't allow me to pay it until it clears. BoA sometimes doesn't clear this payment until 1 or 2 days AFTER my payment due date. If I fail to pay it on the day that it clears, it gets reported to the CRAs even though my balance was zero on the payment due date.

I guess they playing trickky on you buddie...........You should start paid it 5 bussiness days in advance............

I also had a bad experience with BOA......I were obtain a secured CC with them...........approved for 500 deposit.....Took my money right away on my Checking account, after a week they did 2nd hard pull on my credit report......They cancel my cards itself and take 1 weeks to refund my money.........Such a pain..............I would never do business with them again...............

Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay this is all going over my head. so to keep it simple, pay off your balances, leaving just $10-$30 balance 3-5 days before the payment due date and then pay it down to 0 3-5 days after the payment due date?

purpose being to show a <10% utilization rate on fico

will the $10-$30 acquire interest from not paying the whole balance prior to the due date?

Message 16 of 37
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

okay this is all going over my head. so to keep it simple, pay off your balances, leaving just $10-$30 balance 3-5 days before the payment due date and then pay it down to 0 3-5 days after the payment due date?

will the $10-$30 acquire interest from not paying the whole balance prior to the due date?

Depend on each CC company but u usually get 25 days grace period which if you paid before due date....There's no interest charge.

+1

Message 17 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nicholasyud wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Depend on each CC company but u usually get 25 days grace period which if you paid before due date....There's no interest charge.

+1

wow i did not know that. learn something new everyday. thank you!

Message 18 of 37
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Yes, first payment a few days BEFORE payment due date. Second payment could really be anytime before the next payment due date but I usually make it a few days after the new statement cuts to show good credit behavior.

Using credit cards is a Catch-22 situation. You need to use them a lot to show lenders that you can manage credit and get them to give you good CLIs, but if you let them report high balances and your utilization percentage is reported at more than 9% your scores will take a serious hit. This is a work around until your credit lines climb high enough to not have to worry about the 9% when you spend normally each month.

When you have a total of $2000 CL nine percent is $180. When you have a total of $20K CL nine percent is $1800 which makes it much easier to manage your credit.

That's one reason people on these forums are obsessed with getting CLIs.

Message 19 of 37
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Yes, first payment a few days BEFORE payment due date. Second payment could really be anytime before the next payment due date but I usually make it a few days after the new statement cuts to show good credit behavior. ( Statement Cut Off Time )

Using credit cards is a Catch-22 situation. You need to use them a lot to show lenders that you can manage credit and get them to give you good CLIs, but if you let them report high balances and your utilization percentage is reported at more than 9% your scores will take a serious hit. This is a work around until your credit lines climb high enough to not have to worry about the 9% when you spend normally each month.

When you have a total of $2000 CL nine percent is $180. When you have a total of $20K CL nine percent is $1800 which makes it much easier to manage your credit.

That's one reason people on these forums are obsessed with getting CLIs.

You confuse those newbie Jamie.....Make it simple

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.