Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie going on an app spree

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie going on an app spree

Hey all!  I'm new here, but I've always kept track of my credit and am a member of credit karma.  I recently hit a plateau on my credit score from ck, and the only way the simulator would show improvement was if I added more credit cards.  Currently at 698 on ck.  The biggest negative against me is my short length of credit history, which has only been established for a few years and I only have one credit card w/ a $1500 limit at the moment.

I was skeptical of ck's low score, so went ahead and orded my fico score, which is at 772.  The simulator from Equifax also indicated the only thing that will improve my score is adding more credit cards.  I figured a fico score of 772 could land me some good offers, despite my short length of credit history.

Just a few minutes ago I applied and got instantly approved for a Chase Freedom w/ $150 cash back.  The site says the card will be out to me in 2 weeks, not sure what the credit limit will be.  I want to take advantage of my fico score before the inquiry from Chase hits it.  I've been thinking about also applying for either a AMEX Blue Cash or a Capital One No Hassle rewards card.  Any other suggestions?  Or should I just stop with the Chase card?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Newbie going on an app spree

FYI, your score is going to plummet after you go on this app spree.  772 is a very overstated score based on just one CC and a few years of overall history.  It will be a while before you get back to 772, but it will be necessary in the long run.  I just want you to be prepared for it.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The inquiry from Chase (or anyone else) hits immediately.  And it probably won't have a significant impact if its your first inquiry in a long while.  Having a new account (when that hits) will hit you with a new account ding (possibly) and a lowered AAofA ding (possibly).

With your AAofA being a major factor for you currently, I would calculate what your AAofA was before the app (that should be pretty easy in your case Smiley Tongue) and then calculate what it is now with the new account.  What numbers do you get?  Then calculate again what your AAofA would be with an additional account.  Remember that AAofA is always rounded down, and some folks recommend that you avoid doing an app if it would pull you down a year (i.e. if it would bring your AAofA down from 3 to 2; or from 2 to 1).

Depending on your answer, and not having done the math, I might consider waiting 6 months or so before doing another app.

Your current scores are nice and healthy.  DH's FICO of 804 (with one open revolving account) was shot down to 760 just with app spree's and lowered AAofA.  You can decimate AAofA in a few minutes and it takes years (Iiterally) to build it up again.

DH never received a recommendation from FICO to add accounts.  I'm guessing in your case it's because you have a thin file - he didn't.  So YMMV.

You may want to wait until the new account hits your reports and then pull your FICO again - see what the estimator then gives you as best steps moving forward.

Hope that's somewhat helpful! 

Message 3 of 9
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I have never seen a score as high as 772 with such a thin profile, and I'm wondering...

You said you pulled your FICO from Equifax and it was 772, yet credit karma is in the high 600s.  That's an awfully large gap, considering that i think the ck score tries to mimic FICO scores.  Did you pull your score directly from the EQ website, or from myfico.com?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome advice thanks.  I'll see how this new Chase account effects my score before doing any other apps.

I pulled the fico score directly from Equifax. I also thought it was odd that Credit Karma was so far off.  FYI, my Credit Karma score used to be in the 750 range, but then I traded in my car and for some reason it plummeted down to 698.  I was pleasantly suprised to see my fico score so high.

Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think you would get amex, I would skip capital one.... look at citi forward... that is pretty good rewards and CL's usually higher

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I've read good reviews on the Citi forward as well as the Discovery More cards.  I've got another question... I'm not really planning on using these cards a whole lot, so if I were to leave these open, but carry a $0 balance, will that effect my score negatively?  Or should I always have a small utilization on all of them at all times?

Message 7 of 9
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I would not have a balance on all of them at any time.  You should keep a small balance on one or two.  I usually just let my daily usage card report whatever the balance is each month and then pay it off after the statement.  So, my utilization on the card is usually a little over 10%, but it doesn't really negatively affect my score noticeably, as my total utilization is less than 10%, and I don't think theres a real significant ding until 25% util or so on a single card.  Of course, I'm sure this varies like all other FICO scoring factors.

I thought maybe EQ led you to a FAKO, as they do to many now, but that's definitely your FICO score.

Report back what happens to your score once all your new accounts report.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know.  It'll probably be a month or two before I see how the new Chase card affects my score, I'll report back. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.