Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question: Please explain "gardening?" and Specific Advice re: Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie question: Please explain "gardening?" and Specific Advice re: Cards

Hi all-  I'm pretty new to this forum, and am going to take place to actively build my credit in the near future.  So i'm just lurking and reading....

I keep seeing references to "gardening,' and wonder if someone could give me an explanation and best practices?  I know it has to do with growing credit card limits/new cards selectively.  Please explain?

My FICO 8 scores are all in the mid-600's right now, and I'd like to shoot those up to mid 700's.   I have three cards in my wallet:

Capital One Quicksilver- $1000 limit.  $20 balance, paid on time for three years straight.  I've never asked for an increase nor have they offered without prompting.

My local credit union card-  $500 limit.    $9 blance, paid steadily for five years.   No incresase in limit sought, none offered.

Credit one card-  $300 limit.  $9 balance.   This one is only 6 months old and I just added it for extra utilization.  Despite everyone's dislike of Credit one, I don't find it bad.

Should I be seeking to increase the limits on all of these?  New cards?  Any advice is helpful.....Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Newbie question: Please explain "gardening?" and Specific Advice re: Cards

Hello and welcome.

This is the approvals forum, so you're in the wrong section for this post lol. Smiley Happy But a mod will come along and move this post shortly.

Second, you're off to a good start, and I would definitely seek some CLIs, but only SP (soft pull, meaning the pull won't show up on your report and hurt your score) CLIs, which I know capital one does, but you'd have to check with your CU and CreditOne.

As far as gardening, it simply means taking time off from applying for any new credit cards and letting your current ones grow in both age and limit. Most of the MyFICO members are outliers in that they apply for multiple credit products a year, and as a result rack up quite a bit of inquiries in their reports, whereas the general public applies for maybe one or two cards every few years. So MyFICOers are sometimes seen as "aggressive credit seekers," although the vast majority PIF and don't carry balances. They simply chase bonuses and maximize rewards (which by the way is also why they accumulate so many cards). They get cards that fit their spending and give them the most cash back or points for traveling simply for using their cards instead of debit or cash.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Omar! Hopefully a moderator moves this to the appropriate category.
Message 3 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

Omar gave an excellent explanation of gardening. There is a new Gardening thread in the Credit Card forum each and every month. Great group of members there. Join in anytime! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all-  I'm pretty new to this forum, and am going to take place to actively build my credit in the near future.  So i'm just lurking and reading....

I keep seeing references to "gardening,' and wonder if someone could give me an explanation and best practices?  I know it has to do with growing credit card limits/new cards selectively.  Please explain?

My FICO 8 scores are all in the mid-600's right now, and I'd like to shoot those up to mid 700's.   I have three cards in my wallet:

Capital One Quicksilver- $1000 limit.  $20 balance, paid on time for three years straight.  I've never asked for an increase nor have they offered without prompting.

My local credit union card-  $500 limit.    $9 blance, paid steadily for five years.   No incresase in limit sought, none offered.

Credit one card-  $300 limit.  $9 balance.   This one is only 6 months old and I just added it for extra utilization.  Despite everyone's dislike of Credit one, I don't find it bad.

Should I be seeking to increase the limits on all of these?  New cards?  Any advice is helpful.....Thanks!

Congratulations! You were gardening for two years, then gardening for another two years, and lately gardening for 6 months. Many here would like to have that sort of discipline Smiley Happy

A clarifying question, however, if you are paying all on time, are there any negatives lurking in your file? Mid-600 implies something out there, either an old late or something? The reason for asking is, the timing of that old late or lates items dropping from your reports will be the main determinant of when your score pops to over 700.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

IMO, Gardening includes softy CLI's and working on neg's.  You may want to make these your next goals (if applicable).  Maybe check into a Share Secured Loan to build more score as you squirrel away a few bucks (if you are lacking instalment history).   I would also suggest replacing Credit One with a quality lender and getting those limits up   :]

great history with those 2 cards   :]     thumbs up

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Some of the factors that cut against a good credit score are (a) recent inquiries (should be low) (b) average age of accounts (should be high), and (c) age of oldest account (should be high).

If you apply for no new credit, you're growing all 3.

That's gardening.

Applying for a credit limit increase is no problem if it's a "soft pull" request, but if you generate a "hard pull" inquiry -- you're not gardening, because you're adding a recent inquiry. Capital One requests are "soft pull"; I don't know about your credit union or Credit One.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

IMO, Gardening includes softy CLI's and working on neg's.  You may want to make these your next goals (if applicable).  Maybe check into a Share Secured Loan to build more score as you squirrel away a few bucks (if you are lacking instalment history).   I would also suggest replacing Credit One with a quality lender and getting those limits up   :]

great history with those 2 cards   :]     thumbs up

This is exactly right! 

I I had a discussion with someone on here the other day. TOO much emphasis is put on the "time" you garden rather than the work you put into it. 

If if you have zero negatives, that's perfect! Then time is a dominant characteristic to your gardening. That and getting some soft pull CLIs. 

But it if you have lates, collections, etc... Gardening is cultivating your credit by sending out goodwill letters, PFD letters, etc. working on time is the least of the concerns at that point.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.