Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie seeking advice!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie seeking advice!

Hi everyone, I got bored since last app in Feb.. Currently I have a Discover it for student (Auto CLI from 500 to 650 several days ago) and a Chase freedom w/ 1000 CL. I got the Discover it card in last December. Currently the AAoA is only 0yr3mo but I only have 2% util and PIF every time, no baddies. 

I am a full college student turning 20 in less than a month, income 40k. Travel 2 - 3 times each year and fly internationally to Asia at least once a year.

I have been eyeing on Amex for a long time and wanna take advantage of the 50k PRG offer right now.. 

Or should I go for BCE or delta gold? I mean I can wait for another 2 month for Discover to Age to 6 month. 715 on CK

All advice are appreciated and welcomed! Smiley Very Happy

Thank you!

My shopping list for CCs for next 2 years :

Chase: CSP (50k+5K) , UA (50k) , Marriott, Ritz Carlton (140K), IHG (80K) ---- will most likely close unnecessary cards like Ritz and churn. WIll keep those w/ annual free night.

Amex: BCE, PRG (50K), SPG (30K)

CITI: Prestige (50K+350AF), AAvantage

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie seeking advice!

Are you pre qualified on the Amex website? Delta miles aren't too bad for redeeming to Asia if you have a little flexibility. BCE is a very different card from Delta, you would be getting cash back instead of miles.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your input! I wanna get 140k points and redeeem for a Biz Class ticket, 13 hours on a flight is torture. I am not sure about BCE, or I am probably talking about AmEx Everyday instead lolWoman Very Happy

I dont have any prequalified offer from AmEx. I opted in like one month ago and literally have never received any offer in the mail. I also checked cardmatch websites but only see some $hitty CCs from First Permier bank..

Message 3 of 9
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

The PRG 50k offer has been around for a long time (I got mine December 2013), I wouldn't worry about that going away.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 4 of 9
Kellan
Regular Contributor

@heyitsyeh wrote:

The PRG 50k offer has been around for a long time (I got mine December 2013), I wouldn't worry about that going away.

As a frequent traveler. 10 Personal vacations last year. 9 weeks in Asia etc. I think I would go with the PRG card. I know the annual fee is high, but the new changes coming to the card next month is trying to give CSP card a run for its money. There is a reason that they call delta frequent flyer points Sky Pesos. The membership rewards points can transfer to Singapore Airlines in the Star Alliance, British Airways in One World Alliance. And if you must even you can even transfer to Delta. You have so much more flexiability with the PRG card. Plus

Myself I carry both the PRG and Plat card but I live near an airport with a centurion lounge. Plus you get 3x points with airlines on any airline purchase. And you get 2x at grocery stores and gas stations. You earn points faster. Lastly you can get 100 credit back on airline purchases. Like bagage fees that offsets the AF a bit.

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that offer has been around for quite a while.. dont know if 5 month history is enough for a charge card tho..

Message 6 of 9
ltorres25
Regular Contributor

IMO your credit is too new for you to be able to get a lot of those cards, especially the Ritz. I would wait at least 6 more months before apping for anything so that you don't waste inquiries. 

| TU FICO: 747 | EQ FICO: 746 | EX FICO: 741 | Last HP: 5/20/15 |
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kellan wrote:

@heyitsyeh wrote:

As a frequent traveler. 10 Personal vacations last year. 9 weeks in Asia etc. I think I would go with the PRG card. I know the annual fee is high, but the new changes coming to the card next month is trying to give CSP card a run for its money. There is a reason that they call delta frequent flyer points Sky Pesos. The membership rewards points can transfer to Singapore Airlines in the Star Alliance, British Airways in One World Alliance. And if you must even you can even transfer to Delta. You have so much more flexiability with the PRG card. Plus

Myself I carry both the PRG and Plat card but I live near an airport with a centurion lounge. Plus you get 3x points with airlines on any airline purchase. And you get 2x at grocery stores and gas stations. You earn points faster. Lastly you can get 100 credit back on airline purchases. Like bagage fees that offsets the AF a bit.

Thank you for your input! Yeah the upcoming changes in terms and conditions for PRG is quite alluring, cancelling FTF and providing 100 airline credit. I will definitely get it. And I will also need a CSP or marriott just in case where Amex is not accepted. Also I have a discover it which has a parterner relationship with UnionPay (the largest payment and liquidation company in China), I can literally use it anywhere in China w/o FTF or CDC. 

Just not sure my chances of getting approved for a PRG w/ such a short yet solid history. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ltorres25 wrote:

IMO your credit is too new for you to be able to get a lot of those cards, especially the Ritz. I would wait at least 6 more months before apping for anything so that you don't waste inquiries. 

Yeah definitely. The list is my goal for next 2 years. Recently i am just looking forward to getting PRG/Everyday/BCP.

Thank you for your input! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.