Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie thinking of applying to a few cards could use some advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie thinking of applying to a few cards could use some advice

Thank you for those links and numbers!  I called the chase number too late, so I'll find out tomorrow what is going on with the Chase accounts.  I did discover that I was approved for the AMEX.  

As to why the Venture card.  I wanted a card that had a solid rewards program that didn't have foreign transaction fees.  The Venture gives me 2 cents per dollar, and since I travel often enough for work (reimbursed) I never want for possible redeption options.  I debated (and still might) the US Bank Cash+ since I have a US Bank account.  But it has foreign fees, and I know that tweaking my catagories around would annoy me at some point.

Should have mentioned that I have one cleared morgage on my CR, as well as a current morgage and student loans all without any marks or negitive dings and a longish history so that is probally why I qualify for the high limit cards.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied.  While I did try to do a bunch of research ahead of time.  It's always nice to get help/advice from the people who know more than I do.  *grin*

Message 11 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on approval with amex!

You may be able to find the limit on the card by calling 866 314 0237

On the prompt say other question...

When you call chase be sure to mention that you opened an Amex account and that you would appreciate chase SW card as a nice compliment to use where Amex is not accepted. Chase analysts like to see amex accounts on your reports. Cash plus is a super card... you might be able to get it now which would be a plus for your wallet... and the account would age with your other new accounts...

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 15
bradpitt
Valued Member

wow!

A 809 fico right after a BK fell off!

I wonder if that is a record.

Impressive score since you had a BK.

Nothing Newbie about it....

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bradpitt wrote:

wow!

A 809 fico right after a BK fell off!

I wonder if that is a record.

Impressive score since you had a BK.

Nothing Newbie about it....

Thanks!  I was a bit surprised myself.  

Just to toot my own horn, the feat that impressed me even more was when I qualifed for a 100% morgage a year after I filed.  I managed to get my score back up to 640, and of course, that was when they would give a 100% home loan to anyone.  Getting that score up to 640 was a challange, I opened up the Household bank card that I still have right after I filed, and I also got myself put on as an authorized user for my friend's CC with a 10 year history.  While I am certainly a newbie compared to many of this board, I sort of enjoy the credit reporting game in my own perverse fashion.  

Message 14 of 15
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for those links and numbers!  I called the chase number too late, so I'll find out tomorrow what is going on with the Chase accounts.  I did discover that I was approved for the AMEX.  

As to why the Venture card.  I wanted a card that had a solid rewards program that didn't have foreign transaction fees.  The Venture gives me 2 cents per dollar, and since I travel often enough for work (reimbursed) I never want for possible redeption options.  I debated (and still might) the US Bank Cash+ since I have a US Bank account.  But it has foreign fees, and I know that tweaking my catagories around would annoy me at some point.

Should have mentioned that I have one cleared morgage on my CR, as well as a current morgage and student loans all without any marks or negitive dings and a longish history so that is probally why I qualify for the high limit cards.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied.  While I did try to do a bunch of research ahead of time.  It's always nice to get help/advice from the people who know more than I do.  *grin*

I have found that the US Bank travel rewards card has really good rewards, but yes as you mentioned it has FTF's. They make a no FTF version if you are with the private bank. 

No FTF US Bank Card

Chase also has some good cards with no FTF"s, such as the Chase Saphire Preferred, Marriot rewards, Hyatt, and a few others.

I am just not a fan of crap1. I hope they treat you well. Just keep in mind that other banks with better customer service will offer some good cards as well.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.