Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with CC ???'s

tag
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Newbie with CC ???'s

I'm trying to rebuild my credit. I've recently applied and was approved for 2 cc:

Orchard Bank (unsecured) $300

Capital One (secured) $200

Should I apply for one more? If so who do you thing I'd have a better chance with getting approved with?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Newbie with CC ???'s

With your score in the 500's, the only other one I'd probably get is one more secured card, if at all... I think you'd be better served by just working with those two for at least 6 months to a year and letting those relationships grow.

In about 6 months, pull at least your Equifax FICO score to gauge where you are at.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 11
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

With your score in the 500's, the only other one I'd probably get is one more secured card, if at all... I think you'd be better served by just working with those two for at least 6 months to a year and letting those relationships grow.

In about 6 months, pull at least your Equifax FICO score to gauge where you are at.

+1

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 3 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:

I'm trying to rebuild my credit. I've recently applied and was approved for 2 cc:

Should I apply for one more? If so who do you thing I'd have a better chance with getting approved with?

No, garden those accounts for a year and make deposits on the Cap1 to raise your CL.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 11
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that I should wait and just garden those 2 cc. I think I have the app itchSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that I should wait and just garden those 2 cc. I think I have the app itchSmiley Happy

+1

Don't burn INQ's that will net you better cards in the future.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 11
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:

No, garden those accounts for a year and make deposits on the Cap1 to raise your CL.

Thanks for the advice.

Message 7 of 11
Cesarlopez
Established Member

I agree! Add as much money as you can to your Cap One depsit account. It will take about 10 days to show that your credit line has increased. And keep your utilization down as low as possible. In about six months to a year try for an unsecured Cap One account and most likley they will enroll you in Credit steps. Good Luck!

CAP1 Venture $3k & No Hassel $750 / Discover More 2.5k / AMEX ZYNC NPSL & Delta 2k / FirstTech CU Visa 2k / USAA AMEX 1k / Sam's 2.2k / Amazon 1.9k / Walmart $800 /
Message 8 of 11
FrugalRican
Blogger

Don't app. You'll be wasting INQ's that you could use within 6 months to a year.

And make sure they you start practicing the utilization rule. (1% - 9% reported balance on 1 card, 0 balance on the other)

Figure out what your statement dates are.

You have a good 6 months, minimum, to practice this. Your patience WILL be rewarded.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@FrugalRican wrote:

Don't app. You'll be wasting INQ's that you could use within 6 months to a year.

And make sure they you start practicing the utilization rule. (1% - 9% reported balance on 1 card, 0 balance on the other)

Figure out what your statement dates are.

You have a good 6 months, minimum, to practice this. Your patience WILL be rewarded.

Plus six months to research what's out there and work on your wish list. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.