Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with Newbie Q's

tag
chaimanmau
Valued Member

Newbie with Newbie Q's

First off, hello all!  I've been lurking around since I signed up earlier this week, making sure I am not putting the T3 connection we have at work to waste.  Just to bring you up to speed with what's going on with me, I am trying to recover from a series of BAD decisions from 2005.  I pulled my EQ credit report earlier this week and found that I currently have about 6 CO's (like how I've caught up to your jargon?), 4 credit accounts all of which are showing a last payment in or around 2006-2007 (I'm hoping the Statute of Limitations takes over this and that I am able to dispute these off my CR - I am in Cali).  The other 2 negative/closed accounts that are showing up are from collection agencies - none of which show where the debt originated from or any last payment dates.  The amount of all accounts once added is around $5096 - including the amount owed to collections agencies.

Newbie questions are one, am I correct in thinking that I can get the negative accounts removed from my CR given that the statute of limitations in California is 4 years?  Two, I am not receiving any calls from any collection agencies, but know that to be able to remove these from my CR, I need to contact them and tell them to take a hike - and that might not work out well for me.  

So basically what I am looking for is a little guidance on how to proceed.. I've learned my lesson the hardest way possible and am looking for a fresh start.  On that note, I am glad to announce that I have just gotten approved for 2 CCs, Orchard Bank Classic (unsecured) with a $300 limit, and CapOne (secured) with a $200 limit - option to add on of course as you all know.  I am still awaiting response from Citi for a Shell gas card and Amazon for a store card - although I am now aware that store cards don't really do much for revolving credit except lower your score once you apply.  Also trying to convice the girl to add me on to one of her Chase CCs as an AU to bump me up a little.. Maybe I can butter her up by buying her something using one of my new cards. Smiley Happy

Really looking forward to insight from everyone here.  The board has been extremely informative and helpful thus far and I'm looking forward to being able to make my own contributions soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Mau

My wallet is thin but I have other stuff in my pants

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie with Newbie Q's

The SOL in various states may absolve you of the legal responsibility for the debt. In terms of credit reporting that is regulated by the Fed the COs can generally stay on your credit reports for 7 years 6 months. Judgments/BK can go even longer.

Welcome to the party.

Message 2 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@chaimanmau wrote:

First off, hello all!  I've been lurking around since I signed up earlier this week, making sure I am not putting the T3 connection we have at work to waste.  Just to bring you up to speed with what's going on with me, I am trying to recover from a series of BAD decisions from 2005.  I pulled my EQ credit report earlier this week and found that I currently have about 6 CO's (like how I've caught up to your jargon?), 4 credit accounts all of which are showing a last payment in or around 2006-2007 (I'm hoping the Statute of Limitations takes over this and that I am able to dispute these off my CR - I am in Cali).  The other 2 negative/closed accounts that are showing up are from collection agencies - none of which show where the debt originated from or any last payment dates.  The amount of all accounts once added is around $5096 - including the amount owed to collections agencies.

Newbie questions are one, am I correct in thinking that I can get the negative accounts removed from my CR given that the statute of limitations in California is 4 years?  Two, I am not receiving any calls from any collection agencies, but know that to be able to remove these from my CR, I need to contact them and tell them to take a hike - and that might not work out well for me.  

So basically what I am looking for is a little guidance on how to proceed.. I've learned my lesson the hardest way possible and am looking for a fresh start.  On that note, I am glad to announce that I have just gotten approved for 2 CCs, Orchard Bank Classic (unsecured) with a $300 limit, and CapOne (secured) with a $200 limit - option to add on of course as you all know.  I am still awaiting response from Citi for a Shell gas card and Amazon for a store card - although I am now aware that store cards don't really do much for revolving credit except lower your score once you apply.  Also trying to convice the girl to add me on to one of her Chase CCs as an AU to bump me up a little.. Maybe I can butter her up by buying her something using one of my new cards. Smiley Happy

Really looking forward to insight from everyone here.  The board has been extremely informative and helpful thus far and I'm looking forward to being able to make my own contributions soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Mau

Sorry but Statute of Limitations means the debt can be collected, you don't legally owe the money.   It has nothing to do with your credit report.   The CO will come off in 7.5 years.    So if you do nothing, your CR will be clear in 2 or 3 years.  

It is good that you started rebuilding your credit with Capital One and Orchard.   Store cards add to your credit history just like the others, I recommend them if you are a regular customer. .

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Hi !  Welcome to the forums !

The negative items such as Charge Offs and Collections will remain up to 7.5 years from the DOFD, the first point where the original account was deliquent and never caught up.   The SOL is the period of time in which creditors have to bring legal action against you for unpaid debt.    You can still be sued after the SOL expires, however you would just need to show up and assert SOL as your defense.    Also, any unpaid debts can be collected on forever, regardless of the SOL. 

Store cards are treated just like any revolving bank CCs in terms of utilization and AAoA, there's really no difference with the caveat that FICO does like to see open bank cards in the mix.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
chaimanmau
Valued Member

Thanks for all the responses! Looks like I have a little more waiting to do before I can get back up the charts.. Will lurk more to learn more about proper util of these low limit CCs Smiley Happy

My wallet is thin but I have other stuff in my pants

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@chaimanmau wrote:

Thanks for stopping by!

Mau

Welcome to the forums!!!

I think it would suit you best to garden your new accounts for 1 year and add deposits to your secured card. This will help you get decent limits a year from now.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.