Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie with a bunch of questions!

tag
ras_34
Established Member

Newbie with a bunch of questions!

Hello all!  This is my first post and I hope that I do not sound too much like a noob but I would really like yalls opinion on what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong when it comes to my credit situation.  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  My credit history is as follows.  I currently have the following credit cards...

Chase Freedom $1500<<<Converted from Circuit City when they went out of business in 2008 or 09.  Member since 2008

Capital One Quicksilver $2250.  Member since 2010

Capital One Quicksilver $1150<<<Converted from HSBC Platinum Card.  Member since 2010

AMEX Zync Charge Card.  Member since 2011.

Citi Thank You Preferred $5000. Member since 2012.

I have NEVER had a late payment since getting my first credit card in 2008.  I am currently at a position where I make 55k a year.  I am using 27% of my available credit and according to Credit Secure is a 712 and Credit Karma is 733.  For the last 3 months I have been using all of my cards and paying them off in full each month for the exception of the Citi card.  I made a large purchase using that card and I am paying that off month by month.   So what I am asking is the following...

Do I have too many cards?

How come so many of you posters have such high limits and I seem to not be able to get anything over a 5K limit?

How do i go about getting higher limits on my card?

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing right?

I would really like the Marriott Premier Rewards Card.  Yes or no?  I will be doing quite a bit of traveling with work.

I know my questions seem very random but after looking around on this forum I have so many questions so I am sure I will continue to be posting.  But, like I said, any info or feedback will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Re: Newbie with a bunch of questions!

@ras_34 wrote:

Hello all!  This is my first post and I hope that I do not sound too much like a noob but I would really like yalls opinion on what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong when it comes to my credit situation.  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  My credit history is as follows.  I currently have the following credit cards...

Chase Freedom $1500<<<Converted from Circuit City when they went out of business in 2008 or 09.  Member since 2008

Capital One Quicksilver $1150<<<Converted from HSBC Platinum Card.  Member since 2010

I have NEVER had a late payment since getting my first credit card in 2008.  I am currently at a position where I make 55k a year.  I am using 27% of my available credit and according to Credit Secure is a 712 and Credit Karma is 733.  For the last 3 months I have been using all of my cards and paying them off in full each month for the exception of the Citi card.  I made a large purchase using that card and I am paying that off month by month.   So what I am asking is the following...

Do I have too many cards? I don't think you have too many. 5 is fine if you can manage them. 

How come so many of you posters have such high limits and I seem to not be able to get anything over a 5K limit? You may want to get your util under 10% before applying for the next card. 

How do i go about getting higher limits on my card? I would suggest reaching out to Cap One EO for a CLI on both cards. I have done this on all of my Cap One cards with success, very nice ppl and it's a SP. I have only had my Freedom a month or so but I've read that CLs are HP for Chase. Not sure the process for Citi, hopefully someone else can chime in on that. 

What am I doing right? Paying your cards in full is great, and it seems like you don't have many inq. 

I would really like the Marriott Premier Rewards Card.  Yes or no?  I will be doing quite a bit of traveling with work. 

I know my questions seem very random but after looking around on this forum I have so many questions so I am sure I will continue to be posting.  But, like I said, any info or feedback will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 2 of 15
ras_34
Established Member

Thank you very much for your advice.  I actually didn't think about my utilization was that bad being under 30%, but after reading others I would definitely agree.  Would I be denied the Marriott Premier rewards card becausebof my utilization?

Message 3 of 15
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the forum !!

Justrebuilding has offered some great advice.

May I suggest that you make your future posts easier to read, by not putting too much information into a single paragraph.

Posts are much easier to read when you provide a bit of breathing room between sentences.

There are many people who think that their entire story needs to be packed into a single post, as if it were an interesting novel.

But you will usually get better responses from more knowlegable users, when you don't force them to work so hard to process too many questions at once.

Good Luck & Best Wishes !!

Message 4 of 15
ras_34
Established Member

Point taken!  Thank you for the forum advice.  Your reply was in fact very easy to read!

Message 5 of 15
DFStudent
Valued Member

@ras_34 wrote:

How come so many of you posters have such high limits and I seem to not be able to get anything over a 5K limit?

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing right?

Do I have too many cards? There is no right or wrong answer to this, it's simply opinion based. To some, 5 is more than enough, and to others, 5 is a small amount. Personally, I have five cards at the moment, and want to increase that number to thicken my credit file a bit. This will help me when it comes time to car and home loans.

How come so many of you posters have such high limits and I seem to not be able to get anything over a 5K limit? Credit history and score. Some of us have

How do i go about getting higher limits on my card? You can request credit limit increases on your cards (if it's a SP, then no brainer). If you're willing to risk a HP (if SP is not an option), then make sure you know the implications it will have on your CR and CS.

What am I doing wrong? Personally, I never carry a balance and PIF. You might also want to check your util %... 27% is kinda high for most of us on here. We tend to keep it around 9% (optimal). 

What am I doing right? You have the Zync card... that's awesome. I wish I had that. I think what you're doing right is recognizing that you need advice... most people don't seek advice often, so it's good that you came here!

I would really like the Marriott Premier Rewards Card.  Yes or no?  I will be doing quite a bit of traveling with work. If the benefits are there for you, then definitely apply for it. 

Final recommendation: Pull real credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and find out your scores (if you apply for new credit, they will usually include it in your approval or denial letter and which lender they used)... don't trust the FAKO scores on those sites you use. They are general indicators, but they can't beat the real thing.

$12,400              $20,000           $10,000             $6,000               $4,700               $5,800            $1,050 (AU)
Suncoast CU VISA - $2500, BOA BBR VISA - $1000 || EX - 778 (12/13), EQ - 764 (12/13), TU - 763 (12/13) || Grad Student
Message 6 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: all the high limits on here.

While some do indeed have high limits, a lot of people here don't.   It's easy to focus on the former, and sort of miss those with two < $500 store cards.

Some of those with high CLs are older, with longer history and more income/resources.   Some others have app'd for issuers more likely to give much higher limits, such as NFCU, PenFed and more recently Duck/Beaver cards.    (Apping doesn't mean that an individual will necessarily get a high limit with these, some got just $500 on the Duck card for example, but it seems more likely than going with Chase/Citi/Barclays etc).    Also people with Amex cards sometimes quickly get much higher limits, through their relatively generous SP CLI program.

Finally, with some lenders, including Chase and Amex, you can transfer credit limits from one card to another, which can help get big limits on one card.

Message 7 of 15
ras_34
Established Member

Thank you all very much for all of the information. One more "noob" question... I take it a soft pull doesn't hurt your CS? Also, from the info given, would I be denied the Marriott rewards card?
Message 8 of 15
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@ras_34 wrote:
Thank you all very much for all of the information. One more "noob" question... I take it a soft pull doesn't hurt your CS? Also, from the info given, would I be denied the Marriott rewards card?

Soft pulls aren't viewable by lenders or calculated into you FICO scores.  

As far as the Marriot, probably best if someone else answers that one too, but my guess is that you would probably get approved.  If you're using 27% of credit though, then ideally knock down some of that util and get under the 10% mark for the best limit and terms.

Message 9 of 15
hot4u
Established Contributor

@DFStudent wrote:

@ras_34 wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing right?

Do I have too many cards? There is no right or wrong answer to this, it's simply opinion based. To some, 5 is more than enough, and to others, 5 is a small amount. Personally, I have five cards at the moment, and want to increase that number to thicken my credit file a bit. This will help me when it comes time to car and home loans.

How come so many of you posters have such high limits and I seem to not be able to get anything over a 5K limit? Credit history and score. Some of us have

How do i go about getting higher limits on my card? You can request credit limit increases on your cards (if it's a SP, then no brainer). If you're willing to risk a HP (if SP is not an option), then make sure you know the implications it will have on your CR and CS.

What am I doing wrong? Personally, I never carry a balance and PIF. You might also want to check your util %... 27% is kinda high for most of us on here. We tend to keep it around 9% (optimal). 

What am I doing right? You have the Zync card... that's awesome. I wish I had that. I think what you're doing right is recognizing that you need advice... most people don't seek advice often, so it's good that you came here!

I would really like the Marriott Premier Rewards Card.  Yes or no?  I will be doing quite a bit of traveling with work. If the benefits are there for you, then definitely apply for it. 

Final recommendation: Pull real credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and find out your scores (if you apply for new credit, they will usually include it in your approval or denial letter and which lender they used)... don't trust the FAKO scores on those sites you use. They are general indicators, but they can't beat the real thing.

+1 Agree do your research on each CC. Which will do a cli with a Soft pull after you get your Util down.

Wait for the Card to Post-Shows your Util is down before asking for  Cli.

MyFico search Forums function should help you ask the right Questions. Example -calling CR about your cards

Get your free annual credit report and look to see if there's anything on it.

Note: Just pick one Agency stagger them out to give you time to read it and understand it.

Especially right now with all the Cough Hackers using something as easy as a  Malware program with some tweaks getting into Target's data base..

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.