Valued Member
aceofspades25

Newcomer needs some card suggestions. Gardening is tough.

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone!  So here's my story:  When I first made an effort to become aware of my credit in February I checked my score only to be blown away that I had a sad score of 602 and TWO baddies.  Both were medical bills from when I was in college and the bills were being sent to my parents, as they paid all our insurance bills etc.  Both were small ($25 & $147) so I paid them both off and requested a deletion from the collection agencies (CAC Corp & Berks) and issued a dispute with the CRA's.  I never heard back from then until the other day when I checked my score - both were gone and my FICO score jumped up to 694 EQ.  My Experian from their credit monitoring site shows 712, 697 through TU credit monitor.

I got approved for my first baby limit ($300) card with Cap1 at the end of February with that really sad 600 score and it hasn't started reporting yet, even though it has been used & paid for.  It should better start reporting any day now.  I'm already annoyed that it's basically a useless limit (I use it and have to pay it immediately) and theres nothing "fun" about it, but I realize ya gotta start small.

Naturally I hadn't found these forums, got overly excited, and applied for Chase Freedom at the same time I got approved for Cap1 - got denied... which I now realize was a given considering they like to see a nice score and revolving credit history.   I have never been late on a student loan or car payment and am trying to now build up revolving credit history... when is a good time for me to apply for another card and with who?  I have banking accounts with Suntrust, Chase, and PenFed.  I also have an insurance through USAA, and I'm assuming I could get in to NFCU.  My Penfed car loan is recent (December).

Everyone talks about the Walmart Card but I don't/haven't/won't be shopping at Walmart so it seems like a useless card for me besides the monthly TU report they show.  I really want to pull the trigger on a Discover IT but I'm being a good girl and waiting for the TU baddie to come off and hold out for a few more months and let my Cap 1 also start reporting.  Is it possible to get in with Discover with around a 700 score and a lower revolving history?  I would like to get to the point when I can carry Chase, I like them as a bank and would definitely like to add a CC line with them.  In the meantime I would like to find another prime card I could get before applying to Chase again in a year or so.  Honestly, ANY advice would be welcome!

Starting Score (3/1/13): 602 MYFICO - Current Score (1/19/14): 735 EQ FICO, 732 TU Credit Monitor, ??? EXP
GOAL: 750 Across the board
In pocket $1500 CapOne Quicksilver, $2500 PPExtras, $5000 Discover IT, $750 VS, $250 Loft, $1500 WalMartCC, $1300 Nordstrom

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}