cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next APP spree planning?? Advice please : )

tag
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

Next APP spree planning?? Advice please : )

Hi, Need some advice for the second APP spree on my life : )  Into the 4 to 6 week planning stage for my next APP Spreee. Yeaaaaaaa : )  I have been in the Garden for 11 months soon to be 12. I am waiting for my 2 inq's on TU and EX to age 12 months. which is mid June

from NY

NO Baddies on credit files

income 100K aprox

current credit scores high 700's to 800's. Last Discover/Barclays TU score was 815

Inquires 0-EQ, 2-TU, 2-EX. all will be 12 months old next month

Current AAoA 10 years and a few months

6 Credit Accounts

2 Student Loans(3.5k total) just reported 20yrs old from FED REHAB program : ) it jumped my AAoA from 5 years to 10 years.

4 CC's (56K total)

current cards

Discover 15k  (2yrs old) all SP CLI 6 total from $500 orig CL

Freedsom 10K still initial CL from 11 months ago. no auto CLI. Waiting to 13 months hopping for AUTO CLI before spreee

Barclay RING 7.5K still inital CL from 11 months ago. no auto CLI. waaaaaaa. hoping for auto CLI love at 12 months

AMEXmsd 1995 TE(costco) 24K --waiting this out with costco. Hearing it possible will get one more D* for amex for current TE card holders if you wait it out. not sure if to believe that yet. possible to lose all AMEX relationship if wait till next april and the citi switch

Looking at --- (these are not fully set but heavily looking at)

Barclays "Sallie mae"

Chase CSP

Citi "Double Cash" and maybe a Business "CC" product but it seems Chase Bussiness cards smoke the CITI business cards

BOA "Some card" not sure which. looking to get a banking relationship with them?? any ideas

NFCU "Checking and membership" and "one of their CC's"

Any idea what order should I pull off the App spree that would be best?? thinking NFCU should def be last in App spree

do any of the cards seem bad to pick up considering what I have already??

What BOA product would fit in and not be useless compared to what I have and am attempting to get??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next APP spree planning?? Advice please : )

Great list, except BOA. There is nothing any of their cards offer that you haven't already covered with the rest on your list.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

you will LOVE Navy Fed!!

I would skip BOA as well

Message 3 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

Penfed!
Message 4 of 8
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Penfed!

Penfed, SM, CSP...basically, most everything you're looking at seems good. A lot are underwhelmed by the double cash though for some reason...I think due to a delay somewhere in the payment process(?) no idea...

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 8
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I am of the mindset that you should only apply for cards that you will actually use and perhaps strategize a game plan for how you will use each one in order to avoid redundancy so you're not left with a bunch of cards that end up in the sock drawer.

That being said...

CSP would be a good companion for your Freedom card.  You might want to go all in with the Ultimate Rewards program and funnel much of your spend through those two cards since the UR points are versatile and valuable (someone else will have to break that down as I haven't redeemed my UR points for anything other than cash)?

The Sallie Mae card is great, but the monthly caps are on the low side for some (but perfect for a single person).  It has a higher monthly cap for bookstore purchases and Amazon qualifies, so that's always a plus.  Given the cards that you already have and what you're looking at, this one may not be as necessary.  

If you want to get in with BOA, perhaps you might look at Fidelity Amex, which is 2% back on all purchases.  That could essentially replace the Citi Double Cash on that list.  I prefer Double Cash for my personal spend (which is low), but if you have enough uncategorized or miscellaneous spend that you would like to earn more than 1% cashback on, that might be a good bet.  The only catch is that you have to open a Cash Management Account with Fidelity, which is basically a free checking account and it requires no minimum to open or maintain the account.  You also can't redeem the cash until you've amassed $50 (or 5000 points) in rewards.

Message 6 of 8
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great list, except BOA. There is nothing any of their cards offer that you haven't already covered with the rest on your list.

What about Better Balance Rewards? Smiley Happy Essentially money for free. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightJester wrote:

Looking at --- (these are not fully set but heavily looking at)

Barclays "Sallie mae"

Chase CSP

Citi "Double Cash" and maybe a Business "CC" product but it seems Chase Bussiness cards smoke the CITI business cards

BOA "Some card" not sure which. looking to get a banking relationship with them?? any ideas

NFCU "Checking and membership" and "one of their CC's" 

Citi is probably the hardest of the bunch so I'd get that first then Chase CSP.  Both will probably be EX

The others don't really matter much as NFCU is probbaly EQ and Barclay's is a TU pull.  

From your list, it looks like 2 EX, 1 TU, 1 EQ ... you'll still have plenty to spare to broaden your lineup a bit and get even more cards like perhaps adding  the Cap1 Venture and Quicksilver at the end to get a $20K card. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.