Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Card Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Card Question

Quick question on what my next card should be.  I currently have a WF Platinum Visa with CL $15,000 age of account is 10 years and an AmEx Green.  I recently got the Green back in June to take advantage of AmEx rewards/service etc as I always PIF and WF rewards are subpar.  I really wish I would have gone for the PR Gold but I still had one Med CA on my CR from back in 06 that I recently have gotten deleted, and did not want to get denied so I just went with the Green.  I regret that in my young age, currently 26, I have never taken advantage of all the flights I had made and the miles, rewards etc that go with it.  I want to take advantage of my flying as much as possible now and would like to know the boards opinion on which card.  I am considering applying for the AmEx PR Gold and dropping the green or going for the US Airways Premier World MC.  If I go for the MC I will wait until an upgrade to Gold is offered or until the 13th month mark to PC to PRG.  Question, since I have recently just gotten in with AmEx is applying for any new credit a good idea?  Which of these situations will benefit me more, I spend a lot each month on Gas and usually fly US Air from PHX atleast 5-10 times a year. 

Current scores are

EX 782

EQ 796

TU 782

Thanks for your help in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Re: Next Card Question

I wouldn't apply to be honest. It may scare AMEX.  I would just wait the 13 months to PC. Your first year with Green is free anyway. Who knows, you may get a free year when you PC to the AMEX Gold PR. Smiley Happy 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also the reason I am interest in the Us Air MC is the 40,000 dividend mile sign up bonus, which will get me almost to chairmans miles for US Air

Message 3 of 7
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

You may want to find out from Chase or Citi whoever does the US Air if the bonus miles count toward your Chariman Miles elite status. Sometimes sign-on bonus miles do not count towards it but you can use them for free flights, upgrades etc.  I know when I signed up for the Chase Continental OPP the bonus miles did not affect my travel status.  It only affects my travel status with them on miles flown. 

You may want to find out before you app. 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like the us air card may be your best bet (as long as you continue to fly us air). I am a fan of the Amex gold pr. The 3x on airfare is very nice and I think te 2x on gas and groceries gets overlooked. Plus they may offer 75k bonus points. Another card you should look into is the chase sapphire preferred. Only a $95 annual fee for a card competitive to the gold pr. I have the lite/free version and it's far and away the best no af card I've ever had.
Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I wouldn't worry about Amex and applying for USAir which also to previous poster is backed by Barclay.

I would apply for it now and then wait for upgrade for Gold. and if you got approved for Green,you would have been approved for any charge up to Platinum, green is not easier then the rest.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thanks for all the input guys

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.