Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Card advice?

tag
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Next Card advice?

Which card should I app for next? I am building credit now after having a low credit score due to thin file. I have zero delinquencies or negative marks on my credit history, but my AAoA is only about 2 years. Current scores/cards (as you can see I only have one actual credit card and it doesn't have any rewards bc it is a student card):

Equifax 673 (lower bc 6 inquiries were pulled here by Citi before they granted the student card- 6 for one card! They say they can't remove.)
Experian 702
TransUnion 705

Care Credit- $3,000 limit
Citi Forward- $2,000 limit
Macy's- $1,000 limit
Nordstrom- $500 limit

For my new job they are going to give me an Amex Gold corporate card. That card is guaranteed to me but I want another card BEFORE Amex pulls that will have rewards/cash back/etc.

Advice?? Thanks MYFICO!!!

-Lovie Smiley Happy
Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Re: Next Card advice?

(I should have said, for anyone who doesn't know- CareCredit can only be used for medical bills. So it isn't really useful as a credit card.)

Message 2 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked for any preapprovals through Chase, Amex, Discover, etc? Chase Freedom or Discover IT both give good rotating rewards. Amex BCE/BCP gives good gas and grocery rewards but your FICO is probably on the low end of their criteria.
Message 3 of 15
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Same thing I said to another poster - only you can decide what is the best card for you. Are you looking for cash back, miles, hotel points? You need to do the research on what cards are out there and see what you want instead of my applying for cards that people tell you to apply for. I'm just suggesting that you to make an informed decision when apping. 

If you're looking to build your credit profile - there are a host of good cards out there depending on whether you're okay with paying an AF, which of course depends on your income and spending habits. But without knowing any of that information, I'd suggest looking into the Chase Freedom or the Discover It for starters. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I suggest the Sallie Mae Rewards card, for 5% Cash Back on Supermarkets ($250/month), Gas Stations ($250/month), and Bookstores ($750/month).

They will pull Transunion.

https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 15
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

B335is how do I check for pre-approvals? I have never done that before...

Message 6 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

You can goto chase ,boa,citi,cap one website and click on pre qualified link.enter name,address,last four of social.then they will tell you if you are preapproved. Also you can Google card match.enter info and you will see if you got an pre approved from some other cards including amex bce/bcp.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 15
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Mongstradamus-

Thanks! I am new to this and wondering- if I get pre-approved is that a good reflection of my actual approval odds for applying for the cards?

Message 8 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@loviedovie wrote:
Mongstradamus-

Thanks! I am new to this and wondering- if I get pre-approved is that a good reflection of my actual approval odds for applying for the cards?

That part I am not sure about, I think you qualified or met some of their pre approval requirements,but its not quite an shoe in or guarantee you will be approved

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@loviedovie wrote:
Mongstradamus-

That part I am not sure about, I think you qualified or met some of their pre approval requirements,but its not quite an shoe in or guarantee you will be approved

It is not a guarantee (e.g. something might have appeared on your CR after their pull), but as someone (enharu?) said it's a better predictor than anything else that you get.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.