Valued Contributor
Themanwhocan

Re: Next Card advice?

longtimelurker wrote:

mongstradamus wrote:

loviedovie wrote:
Mongstradamus-

Thanks! I am new to this and wondering- if I get pre-approved is that a good reflection of my actual approval odds for applying for the cards?

That part I am not sure about, I think you qualified or met some of their pre approval requirements,but its not quite an shoe in or guarantee you will be approved

It is not a guarantee (e.g. something might have appeared on your CR after their pull), but as someone (enharu?) said it's a better predictor than anything else that you get.

So its about as accurate as a Weather report. If you believe in those.

Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe

Themanwhocan wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

mongstradamus wrote:

loviedovie wrote:
Mongstradamus-

Thanks! I am new to this and wondering- if I get pre-approved is that a good reflection of my actual approval odds for applying for the cards?

That part I am not sure about, I think you qualified or met some of their pre approval requirements,but its not quite an shoe in or guarantee you will be approved

It is not a guarantee (e.g. something might have appeared on your CR after their pull), but as someone (enharu?) said it's a better predictor than anything else that you get.

So its about as accurate as a Weather report. If you believe in those.

LOL! Well, 3-day forecasts are about 85% accurate, and 4-7 day forecasts are about 75% accurate!

So, obviously not perfect...but definitely not as bad as many think XD

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k | SavingStar American Express $14.8k

EQ FICO 708 TU FICO 747 Credit Karma (TU) 771 Transrisk 783/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 754 Credit.com (EX) 753 VantageScore 3.0 712
Regular Contributor
heyitsyeh

The Discover/Chase Freedom duo is a great way to start out.

PR Gold Amex - NPSL
Sallie Mae World MasterCard - $3.5k
Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $10.2k
Discover It - $11.5k
Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard - $14k
Fidelity Amex - $15k
aerin_sol

For the record Citi Forward *does* have a rewards system.  5x points on bookstores, restaurants and entertainment, and 1x points on the rest.

Citi Forward ($1700)
Discover IT ($1500)
Chase Freedom ($1000)
AMEX BCE ($2000)
Regular Contributor
loviedovie

aerin_sol that is true. It's just that from what I have noticed so far, the thank you points can pile up into tens of thousands before you can get even a 50$ gift card back. So I thought maybe a cash back card would yield more rewards with a straight 1% return.. Maybe I just have to look into it more?

Starting Score: EXP 615 | TU 610 | EQ 635
Current Score: EXP 719 (lender pull 10/15) | TU 707 | EQ 700 (lender pull 10/25)
Goal Score: 740

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}