Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Step for a 18-year old with 788 FICO

tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Next Step for a 18-year old with 788 FICO

If he's in high school what would he put down for income? I would think he would have to have income to be approved.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 11 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@coldnmn wrote:

If he's in high school what would he put down for income? I would think he would have to have income to be approved.

+1

Also, with the CARD ACT :

If you’re under 21, it will be difficult to open a new credit card account.

You’ll need a co-signer or show proof of income.

Message 12 of 17
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Doesn't it also include any income where there is a reasonable access to? For students this may include part-time work, scholarships, financial aid, money from parents, etc. Someone 18 in high school could very well have income from part-time jobs
Message 13 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@eagle2013 wrote:
Doesn't it also include any income where there is a reasonable access to? For students this may include part-time work, scholarships, financial aid, money from parents, etc. Someone 18 in high school could very well have income from part-time jobs

Yes, it does but as a high school student there isn't financial aid or scholarships. Part time work would be considered but keep in mind until they turn 21, the parent/guardian is on the hook unless he can demonstrate his own income. 

Message 14 of 17
Closingracer
Established Member

@abundancejones wrote:

From my research, Capital One, Chase, and even Citi will likely give him a starter card. 

Discover will NOT. Is he a college student?

Also, are the cards posting to Equifax?

Why not? my First card was the discover it card and i have no prior history on my credit report other then inquries at the time 

Message 15 of 17
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

@eagle2013 wrote:

@abundancejones wrote:

From my research, Capital One, Chase, and even Citi will likely give him a starter card. 

Chase doesn't consider AUs and will not issue any card without 6-12 months prior history. He'll either have to get a secured card, or perhaps a student card. I would recommend BofA to start.

An underwriter won't give AUs credit, but if his score is that high, he can pass through with an auto approval. Chase uses a bankcard enhanced FICO that values any card, even if it is AU. Same with Citi. 

If the teen is working, he should be able to easily get a card. 

Message 16 of 17
xgac12x
Established Contributor

@abundancejones wrote:

I actually got my starter card from Discover. Got it two months after I turned 18. $500 line. I was an AU on a card, and had my parents cosign on a BB Store card that I bought an iPad with and made payments. 

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.