Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next credit step?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next credit step?

Hi I'm new to the forum as a member hut a long time reader. I'm currently looking for advice on which card (store or credit) to apply for. I'm currently rebuilding my credit profile. I have one Cap1 CC with a $200 limit opened 04/2011 no lates and an auto loan of 1 year with no lates. Only the Cap1 inquiry and a rejected chase freedom inquiry are on my report with the cap1 dropping in April. I pulled my 3 CRs from experian in Oct. And they were all between 718-725. I know those are just FAKO scores but hopefully they are close. AAOA is 9 months. No baddies on my report. What should be my next step? I was thinking of going for a Wal-Mart card then applying for a Barclays 6 months after that. Any advice from you guys is appreciated thanks!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: Next credit step?

welcome to the forums,,, think u still need another rebuilder card,,, its been to long for me now to give advice but other will chime in

Message 2 of 10
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

I bet if you wait till April when you have a year and those inquiries no longer hit you, you can get a nice card at that time and you won''t have to settle for Cap One.

Just wait till then and apply for a decent card you may be surprised at what you can get.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking I'd wait till April but I wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make. What card would you guys recommend as my 2nd card?
Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Since you virtually have no inq I would risk it and apply for an American Express Charge Card and a Citi Forward Card.

Some other options depending what you have in your area is Walmart card (get free TU Fico each month if you sign up for paperless statements)

Target

Macy's

Expres

Really anything with GE or WFFNB

Message 5 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

i would wait and get some history on your accounts.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
i would wait and get some history on your accounts.

Once you have 6 months with the first card I REALLY think a person needs to add 2 more, and hopefully the 2 more you add are with prime banks that can grow with you.

Many in the last year have had great success with Amex Charge and Citi Forward with just 6 months history.

I have seen some denials but as I stated before with only 2 INQ I would risk another 2 to apply for the cards above I mentioned... At that point if both of those are declined I would be looking into a store card or a credit union to start building relationship with them.

Get the apps out of the way while you are young in credit.

Message 7 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@creditaddict I see your point. Go ahead and try for the Walmart card!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the advice guys. When I applied for the chase freedom in Nov. I was rejected due to age of accounts and not enough revolving accounts. Do you think I'll run into similar problems with store cards or subprime cards? Sorry to ask so many questions but my plan is to get a mortgage in 2014 and I wanted make the proper steps.
Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
thanks for the advice guys. When I applied for the chase freedom in Nov. I was rejected due to age of accounts and not enough revolving accounts. Do you think I'll run into similar problems with store cards or subprime cards? Sorry to ask so many questions but my plan is to get a mortgage in 2014 and I wanted make the proper steps.

No for store cards, they are very good about letting you in with little history. Especially GE

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.