Anonymous
Not applicable

Next step?

So I have the following cards and limits:

Discover It Chrome: $50,000

Capital One Quicksilver: $10,750

Chase Freedom: $10,000 

Chase Freedom Unlimited: $6,000

I'm wondering what should be my next move?  My score is somewhere around 830-840.  29 years old with 40k a year income.  I've had cards since I was a 18, and I'm still an authorized user on one of my mother's credit cards that doesn't get used (25k limit). I PIF except 2k I have on the Unlimited right now with 0% interest.  

I feel like I've reached the Discover ceiling, they won't give me another CLI right now. and I think they might ask for income verification if I keep trying.  I only got the Chase Freedom Unlimited a month ago to take advantage of 0% on purcahses and get the spending bonus (bought a TV with it).  I was disappointed by the low starting limit.  Chase seems to be so stingy with me.  Capital One won't give me another increase either.  I'd really like the CSP but I don't think I could meet the spending bonus and I probably would not keep it due to the annual fee.  I mostly only use the Freedom for the 5% categories (gas) and the Quicksilver for paying bills and other purchases. I use the Chrome for 2% on gas when the Freedom doesn't have it.  What can I do to get a bigger limit with Chase and Capital One?  Apply for another card and then combine?  I think I just don't spend enough to make them happy.  My goal is to have the best score and good limits.  But I really don't know if I want more than 5 cards.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Next step?

American express
Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly my friend...IMO I think that you are pretty well set. What a great profile and magnificent score. What are you actually looking to improve...???

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly my friend...IMO I think that you are pretty well set. What a great profile and magnificent score. What are you actually looking to improve...???

+1  Unless you are looking to fill a specific cash back void (groceries, dining...) you really don't need anything else and already have almost 2x your annual income.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want an other card, diversify.  Amex

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been thinking about AMEX.  Would be nice to be diversified.  Which AMEX would probably be best?  BCE? I might wait until I need to make a large purcahse and use the 0% on purchases.  

Message 6 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Your wallet already looks great!  I know you say you don't have a lot of spend, but what DO you spend your money on?  Do you travel much (how and where)?  That would help determine whether to steer you to a points-based credit or charge card, or towards just another cash-back card.  Do you dine out a lot or do you mostly buy groceries to cook at home?  Before you mentioned the spending being low, I would certainly have suggested CSP for your profile and other two great UR-earning cards.  AmEx has a lot of great products, and of course if you're just looking for large revolving limits I'd point you to Navy FCU or Pentagon FCU.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely pick out whichever card works best for you.  Amex is good and has easy increases to large limits.

Also agreed with above, PenFed and Navyfed are top notch and great to have in your corner.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.