Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps ? Is it time to garden ?

tag
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

Re: Next steps ? Is it time to garden ?

@mjccredit wrote:

Newbie here, was a lurker for about 3 months before joining. I need some advice on my next steps. I had credit cards more than 8 years ago and paid them off and closed them after a divorce. Since then I have been an AU on 2 high limit low util cards that are both over 10 years old and have a mortgage and a heloc that are 18 months old and a 6 month old car note. My file goes back 20 years but with no real use in the last 6 years until I bought the house 18 months ago. I have one baddie on my record its an old util bill that I didn't even know about for 4 years I paid it off 3 years ago but they didn't delete it so it shows pif. I went on a small spree this past weekend and am wondering what my next steps should be . Here are the results of my recent spree:

Amex platinum - approved
Capital one quicksilver - 7 to 10 day  message was on my pre-qual list
Chase don't recall which card was on prequal list got 7 to 10 day message
Did the shopping cart trick for lane Bryant and got approved for $250.00

What should I do next , wait and see what happens on the chase and capital one? Call and if denied ask for recon? Should I apply for additional cards? How long do inquiries stay on file and when would be the best time to apply for more cards ? I don't qualify for usaa or nfcu which seem to be a little more lenient than some others. I really want to get over 750 in the next 2 years and have a couple of good high limit accounts with good rewards, cash back or travel. 

Any advice you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on your recent approvals!

Based on the fact you're getting 7-10 Approvals Times is a sign you need to garden as creditors have to manual review you just to issue you credit. Also, although I see alot of ppl using AU accounts on here to boost their credit, I always tell people that once their credit is rising and their profile is diversfying, I would take my name away from any AU account so you don't have to deal with other ppl's credit problems (in case the other person on the account runs the card with the intent of not paying it). It's always good to play it safe and avoid joint accounts when it comes to credit (especially if you're trying to build up)

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 11 of 15
burberryboy007
Valued Member

Being approved for an AmEx Platinum sounds like as good a time to garden as any..maybe it's just me

American Express Gold Card NPSL | NEFCU Platinum Visa 7.5k | Amazon Store Card 6.5k | Discover More 5.5k | American Express Delta Gold Skymiles 3k | Barclaycard Arrival+ 1.5k |
Starting Score: 664
Current Score: 745
Goal Score: 800

Message 12 of 15
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum 
Recon Chase ASAP

Wait on CAP1 and if denied contact EO

With so many pending and not getting instant approval after the above attempts head for the garden for 6 months 

+1 OP!!! Come on and join us in the garden Smiley Happy  we are always looking for new members and you will have a blast in the garden.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 13 of 15
mjccredit
Valued Member

I am still waiting on cap 1 but I will head to garden now and wait for 6 months before I do ore more. There are a couple of cards I want later but can certainly wait on them. 

Thanks for your guidance !

Ex 653 Eq 699 TU 677 Jan 2014
Nov 2014 733
Goal score at least 780 across all 3
Amex platinum NPSL1/14 ,Chase Freedom $5500 1/14,Lane Bryant $250Capital one ,quicksilver $3,5001/14, TR visa $13,100. 2/14 penfed Platinum Cash Rewards $25,000, 7/14 Amex Everday Preferred $34,500, 7/14 CSP $14,000, 11/14 ink Plus $35,000
Message 14 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mjccredit wrote:

I am still waiting on cap 1 but I will head to garden now and wait for 6 months before I do ore more. There are a couple of cards I want later but can certainly wait on them. 

Thanks for your guidance !

You've already taken the HP so you can join the garden right now Lol 

Get.....tell them MJ sent you Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.