Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps with Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next steps with Amex

Been with Amex since may 2015 when I opened my ED @5k with 10k bonus.

July 2015 opened delta gold@2k with 30k bonus and prg with 50k bonus.

SPG I got in spring 2016 when the bonus was 35k. Then platinum 100k just recently.

I am trying to decide if I should upgrade my ED to EDP, or apply for EDP 30k offer. Then move limit and close the ED. I also would like to either close the PRG or keep it another year. I don't want to tick off Amex especially since they have approved my last two clis.

So, upgrade to edp to preserve my aaoa a little bit and close prg? Or maybe go for the EDP bonus and keep the prg open?

I could max out the grocery store category and set up Amex serve if I am ever a few transactions short of 30 for the 50% bonus.

Really at the end of the day I want spg to last forever and have a decent limit and Apr less than or equal to my delta. But that's definitely not guaranteed.

I have used several Amex offers and keeping the prg another year I'd still get another $100 airline credit in January.

What would you do?

How much longer is the spg card going to be around?

Should I even out all of my limits?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
thummel
Established Contributor

Re: Next steps with Amex

I would apply for the edp offer just for the points. Plus you have the first year free if I remember right. Then you can move limits around when the time comes.
Message 2 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It sounds like you know the ins and outs of the programs, so not to sound trite, but only you can really decide what you should do. I personally think you have opened a lot of new cards, have a lot of inquiries, etc and generally that's not a good time to be opening even more accounts. If you want the bonus, go for it, but aggressive credit seeking doesn't look good on anyone's profile.

SPG is assuredly not going to last forever; the merger pretty much guarantees the program is either going to be significantly changed or go away completely. Marriott is not likely to run two programs in the long term. That said, we don't know whether Amex will keep SPG cardholders and PC them to something else, or what will happen as far as the credit card. But at this point, it's far off in the future; the merger hasn't even gone through yet. I'd say it's probably not something to worry about at this stage. Just don't anticipate the program sticking around indefinitely.

Do you really need to take any action here, or are you just "bored"? I don't say that to be rude. It's just that sometimes we find ourselves seeking solutions to problems that don't exist, in the form of looking for new cards, new points, whatever. Is there a need? Or are things find the way they are? What goals are your cards not accomplishing for you as they exist now?

Message 3 of 9
redpat
Senior Contributor

If your goal is to accumulate MR points and use Amex for everyday spend then EDP is a must have card.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

Here's what I'd do:

1.  App for EDP for a bonus.  Given the once in a lifetime bonus, not worth it to PC, ever, in my view.

2.  Proactively seek a replacement for the SPG - assume it will go away.

There is ZERO chance Marriott will retain both programs, offer a fair SPG ---> MR conversion and maintain the integrity of the SPG program.  It is unknown what becomes of Amex as partner, but assume even if Amex retains a portion of the relationship, it's pointless to earn MR points for general spend.  While Marriott points may be fine (Hyatt's a better value) for in house hotel stays, they are abysmal for general spend.

Just make sure you burn all your SPG points before conversion.  DO NOT let Marriott canibalize them.  Transfer all of them to an Airline if you have to.

PS - If you're SPG Platinum, Hyatt had offered a match to their Diamond, which then confers MLife Platinum.  Not sure if the match is still offered, but you may want to ask, if you're SPG Plat.  My plan is to shift the portion of my SPG stays over to Hyatt, which increases my value proposition for UR points.  While the Amex SPG was great, it's time to move on and turn the page.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

It sounds like you know the ins and outs of the programs, so not to sound trite, but only you can really decide what you should do. I personally think you have opened a lot of new cards, have a lot of inquiries, etc and generally that's not a good time to be opening even more accounts. If you want the bonus, go for it, but aggressive credit seeking doesn't look good on anyone's profile.

SPG is assuredly not going to last forever; the merger pretty much guarantees the program is either going to be significantly changed or go away completely. Marriott is not likely to run two programs in the long term. That said, we don't know whether Amex will keep SPG cardholders and PC them to something else, or what will happen as far as the credit card. But at this point, it's far off in the future; the merger hasn't even gone through yet. I'd say it's probably not something to worry about at this stage. Just don't anticipate the program sticking around indefinitely.

Do you really need to take any action here, or are you just "bored"? I don't say that to be rude. It's just that sometimes we find ourselves seeking solutions to problems that don't exist, in the form of looking for new cards, new points, whatever. Is there a need? Or are things find the way they are? What goals are your cards not accomplishing for you as they exist now?

my "bored" action would be to just upgrade to EDP as I would benefit from that. And since I'd be earning extra MRs there would be no point in paying another annual fee on the PRG (or roll the dice for more amex offers).  So no, I get that some people would be bored and do things they shouldnt.  I agree with you that my inquiries are insanely high. And from you, the one that keeps us all in check, (which is a good thing), I would expect no less.

All my gas, dining, and travel is going on Sams Club (except for hotel stays, those go on amtrak for double points). A little dining on AARP.  But for general spend I alternate between SPG/Amtrak/DC. While I generally do not do much shopping at grocery stores (farmers market and sams club), I could probably save money and start couponing for my food at grocery stores again.

I am trying to not spread myself too thin. I am sticking directly with cash back, and cards that transfer to delta and amtrak which I use frequently.  

2 votes app for edp, 1 vote upgrade to edp, 1 vote leave everything as is.

Message 6 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

Regarding inquiries, all things being equal, the major Issuers (Amex, Chase, Citi, etc...) couldn't care less about HPs.  And, neither do I, since all HPs disappear in 2 years.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I vote get the EDP for the points, then combine later.

Also, with the rest of your great file being the balancing act, 12 EX inquiries is nothing to sweat, personally.  That kind of perfection is for house shopping.

Message 8 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I vote get the EDP for the points, then combine later.

Also, with the rest of your great file being the balancing act, 12 EX inquiries is nothing to sweat, personally.  That kind of perfection is for house shopping.

Right, even if I have 50 today, but will not need a loan 2 years later, who cares?  Sure, AAOA is important, but that alone (amount and stability of income is far more important) isn't going to decide my credit worthiness for a fixed loan.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.