Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nfcu cash rewards visa Approval

Congratulations!!!  You are blessed. Smiley Happy 

Message 11 of 21
Cwaxler2008
Established Member

Thanks for the heads up on the APr , i was just so excited when I posted this, it still beats my other cards!

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.  That's an excellent limit and a great rate.  Be sure and check in once every 12 months.  Navy Fed is great about modestly reducing the interest rate on your credit card.  My rate has been lowered twice since I have had a card relationship with them.

Message 13 of 21
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 21
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the card and the great CL Cwaxler!   Smiley Very Happy    NFCU can be pretty awesome!

Navy is great at being generous if you treat them right, but as others have said, if someone messes up with them they can bare big, huge, nasty, teeth.  I'm glad you're intending to be very careful with the card.  There are a lot of people that would love to join them but have no way to get in.   I have to say I'm very impressed with their CSRs.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 15 of 21
Yet2b
Established Member

I have to agree with everything, folks are saying about NFCU.  What a great credit union to work with and be a member of.  I have been with them for a month now.  In that month, they have extended a CL of $35K (initially $25K) on the Cash Rewards Visa and $10K on the Flagship visa.  I asked for a CLI on the cash rewards because we travel from time to time and I like to keep my usage below 10% of the limit.  So, having the higher limit helps a lot with that.  No questions asked ... they just approved it.  The new limit showed up on my accounts page.  They also extended $15K on the LOC.  Which I more than likely will not use.  But it is there should we find the need to use it but only if it can be repaid in 3 months or less.  And I have refinanced both (2) vehicles with them.  On the autos, they did ask for two pay stubs which I provided.  So I have $60K in unsecured available funds and another $90K in secured loans (autos).  $150K exposure, all in the last 30-days.  My FICO scores are in the 740's and income is north of 100K.  DTI when I started this with NFCU was 34%.  No derogs/baddies.  All clear.  PIF Payment history.

My Wife, has also joined NFCU in the last two weeks (based on my membership).  Scores in the lower 600's (previous marriage debt from her ex, soon to drop off though).  NFCU approved her for the cash rewards card with a 2K starting limit.  Still, not too shabby ... it is the highest CL she has across 3 credit cards.

NFCU has been great.  Most places are though, if you pay on time and respect the credit.  But NFCU is head and shoulders above the others in my opinion.  Excellent customer service.  Nice starting limits.  I can go on and on.

TARGET: 800

2/5/12: EQ: 749, TU: 739
Message 16 of 21
daveg38
Established Contributor

Wish it wasn't so difficult to get in...all the years my father spent in the Navy - but he was never offered membership, so he doesn't count.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 17 of 21
Yet2b
Established Member

I don't believe membership is 'offered'.  With your father being a service member, all he has to do is call and join.  That simple.  Or, he can join via the website.  Use a credit card and deposit $5 in a savings account.  That's it.  Once his membership is confirmed/completed, you can join as well as a household member.  This is basically how my Wife joined.  Although, she is a spouse but really, the process I think is the same.  

TARGET: 800

2/5/12: EQ: 749, TU: 739
Message 18 of 21
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Unlike USAA NFCU membership is not open to prior service members, only active duty and retired as far as military affiliation goes. You must join while you are active and can retain your membership after you get out. There are some other avenues available. Their web site gives all the eligibility details.

i personally had an NFCU membership back in the 80's while on active duty. Closed it out at one point. I got back in a few years ago as a DOD contractor assigned to a military installation. I'll never drop it again. NFCU Rocks.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 19 of 21
OhMyCredit
Valued Member

@daveg38 wrote:

Wish it wasn't so difficult to get in...all the years my father spent in the Navy - but he was never offered membership, so he doesn't count.

My husband and I joined Navy Federal using my father-in-law as a sponser even though he was never a Navy Federal member and is retired. They didn't require much more verification than our word. So before you think you can't become a member call their customer service and make sure. We live in a area that is heavily populated by the military and went into a branch so that could be why we didn't have any doubt cast.

Starting Score: EQ 545
Current Score: EQ 694, TU 690, EX 647(Oct 2011), TU08 693
Goal Score: 700 across the board

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.