Nice while it lasted - AMEX FR!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Nice while it lasted - AMEX FR!

@Repo-ed wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

@android01 wrote:

CLOSE IT.  Having an AMEX or any other flavor of credit card is simply not worth the level of intrusion into your personal finances that allowing them to have your tax returns does.  I've been an AMEX customer for 27 years, and although I've never been F/R'd, I would close every AMEX account I have without even thinking twice should they ask for one.

Why do you say this? They already have your personal information, SS#, employment data, etc... what's the big problem backing up what was stated on an app?

Agreed

We had a big thread about this recently with opinions ranging all over the map.  I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole (again), so here's the thread for reference:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Why-is-a-FR-so-bad/td-p/1765362

        
Message 11 of 31
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Haha, that was my thread! Thanks Rev for stopping this before it went viral again.
Message 12 of 31
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Covered by others

Message 13 of 31
slippy84
Contributor

So did they at least call you before you tried using your card and it was declined?

All these stories about people being declined then calling in to find out that they are on FR are just crazy. If AMEX really wants to initiate a FR, they should at least have the decency to call you before they freeze your card.

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 14 of 31
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I asked about differing income and the female said that as long as you can show some income, they will not close it. 8000 does not seem unrealistic for 45000 income so they may just leave the limit the same. Their cards are really nothing special though, so if you have no use for them I would just close it.

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slippy84 wrote:

So did they at least call you before you tried using your card and it was declined?

All these stories about people being declined then calling in to find out that they are on FR are just crazy. If AMEX really wants to initiate a FR, they should at least have the decency to call you before they freeze your card.

no they called after.

Message 16 of 31
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

no they called after.

I doubt they will close it with an income of $45k. Maybe CLD, but you can call underwriting and explain what's up.

Not a lost cause.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 17 of 31
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Least they called you, no one has yet called me and my card got suspended a week ago. I did send the tax form since I knew I was being FR'd when i saw the red suspension message and i still wait a response. It is a bad service in suspending your account with no contact, I suspect I will get a letter this week informing me of my FR.
Message 18 of 31
slippy84
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@slippy84 wrote:

no they called after.

Ridiculous. Makes AMEX much less attractive when they treat their "cardmembers" like that

US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 19 of 31
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Well $130k to $45K is a big drop and is a good reason to inquire, however what they require to resolve the problem is for most people too much of a hasstle when credit cards are so easy to get.

Just know that when you (and countless others) close your account you're sending a message to Amex that their business practices aren't welcomed by most consumers.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.