Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nissan VISA redemption rate isn't great

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Nissan VISA redemption rate isn't great

If you expect to redeem MRs, AAdvantage miles, or HHonors points for future travel, then one/some of those might be better for non-gas, non-auto spend.

The earn rate for gas is good if you're confident you'll redeem for service or a vehicle. I suspect a lot of people end up abandoning some or all of their rewards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd keep using the card for gas and dining. It'll be hard to beat 5% and 3% back in the long run. Then I'd put all other spend on a 1.5% or 2% back card. If I were you, I'd try to maximize my rewards on different cards. Later on you can still combine all the rewards you earned in cash back from other cards into a downpayment. 

This sounds good.  I do have a 1.5% back card with CapOne but the interest rate is 19%.  I would have to never carry a balance to keep the interest rate from eating my cash back. Are there any cash back cards with a low interest rate?  What kind of rate does Citi Double Cash offer?  I've tried to get CapOne to lower the rate but they won't.

Message 12 of 15
Appleman
Valued Contributor

The whole point of a cash back card is to not carry a balance. Once you do the bank has won.

You need another card with a lower interest rate to carry a balance if that is what you must do.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMHO it isn't worth it.  So you spend 20 months on a car to get a 1000 dollars off a Nissan?  What if you decide in 2 years you don't wan't a Nissan?  And there often ways to get money off of a car.  Buying Services might help you. I got a special 2k extra off of my BMW X3 as USAA has deal with BMW to get extra off. No spending required. 

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO it isn't worth it.  So you spend 20 months on a car to get a 1000 dollars off a Nissan?  What if you decide in 2 years you don't wan't a Nissan?  And there often ways to get money off of a car.  Buying Services might help you. I got a special 2k extra off of my BMW X3 as USAA has deal with BMW to get extra off. No spending required. 

Yes I can buy services as well. Also, I can use the reward as cash down on an Infiniti too.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.