Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No AMEX backdating - plunging AAoA

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: No AMEX backdating - plunging AAoA

@Mailak wrote:

Ha, even I always thought it wasn't a real card and was just trying to play with the big boys (that was 15 years ago, though). I think I saw some teletrak issues in other threads as well. I feel sorry about that for you!

I'm close to getting WF or Discover. My initial plan was not to apply for any right now and just apply for the auto loan later with minimum inquiries on file. But AMEX has been really making me angry. I was waiting all day for a supervisor to call me - that call never came ("assure you, within the next couple of hours").

I really need active cards but it seems to me, I'm just rewarding them for bad service.

I could walk in to WF tomorrow but that would mean two inquiries - one HP for a CC and one later for a loan. Other option could be to apply for Discover right now and see if they would later do a CC and loan on a single HP, sometime in fall. Not sure if that could happen though. I don't think I'm looking for a mortgage yet. I think after a couple of CCs and an auto loan, I am done applying for any credit for some years.

I would have been satisifed with just those two AMEX cards but they're making it very hard for me to like them, service-wise.

If you're considering a new car instead of used, with your scores I would guess you could qualify for the special 0% or other very low rates dealers often offer. So you wouldn't be tied to a lender even though it's good to walk in with a car loan approval in hand (WF would no doubt have no prob giving you one at a good rate esp if you had a decent down payment etc).  PenFed and NFCU offer great rates on auto loans as well (I'm sure you've heard of both on here).  Research about auto financing before going to the dealer, they use a lot of tricks to make a profit, esp with financing.

I still feel that AMEX will eventually work with you on your back dating (Original Member Since date), it may only be after activating though, it's hard to say, sometimes they're odd about it.   They may get more agreeable after activating, they want people to use the cards, like I mentioned, they finally agreed to give me my original MS date after activation and sent the the new cards overnight with the new date on them.  They wouldn't budge much when I called to activate however, it was a few days later. I had no intentions on letting it slide LOL. However I was always very personable on the phone with them, asking more than demanding the persons help with the issue.

I don't think Discover does auto loans (I've never looked into it) and if they do, I'd doubt they'd do one on the same HP as for a CC. Most banks won't from what I've read. PenFed will for up to 90 days however (they told us they'll use the same HP for up to 90 days).   NFCU on the other hand (if one can get in with them) LOVES to HP LOL.

If you're interested in Discover at all, I'd say go for the Discover More, then WF. Then later the auto loan won't mind those inq's (different type of loan etc).  Like I mentioned elsewhere, it seems you're careful with your money and credit as well as having a decent income.  I doubt  you'd have a problem getting the 4 cards and the auto loan as well as managing them all properly (or I wouldn't be suggesting any of this).  If you're not looking for a mortgage for at least 12 months you don't have much to worry about really.

Oh, I drove my DM to WF the other day, she went in to move some funds, seemed to take a while.  They were trying to get her to put her investments back with them, she tolerated it because they fixed her online banking with them.  She's not moving anything back to their bank or investment services however. Esp after she showed me her WF CC has the highest interest of any card she has other than a couple store cards (21.99% I think, I may have read it wrong, it used to be very low).  She basicly said "they must think because I'm an older widow that I must be an idiot" and laughed.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 51 of 61
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Here is info from posts that I had saved regarding backdating. There are a couple of different phone numbers, which may be of help:

The account number on reports may means nothing to CSRs, but it does mean something to Amex's credit reporting department.

100% correct, that's how I got my AmEx backdated, I called AmEx's internal credit bureau dept, and gave the account number that was listed on my EX credit report and then she was able to pull it up and see that my AmEx (opened in 91 and closed in 92) was still reporting in 2011 on EX and she kindly had that TL deleted (grrrrr) but, was able to see that I did indeed have an AmEx account opened in 91 and was able to backdate all my current AmEx cards to 91.

So if you have the account number that's listed on your EX report, call AmEx's internal credit bureau dept 1-800-874-2717, and you will be able to get your cards backdated in a snap.

If it is not reporting any longer, I do not believe AmEx's internal credit bureau dept will be able to pull it up, but if you do have old reports with the AmEx TL's reporting, they will give you a fax number to send a copy to.

amex backdating #Is this the number you're talking about?  (800) 297-6197---See if that helps!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 52 of 61
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@Mailak wrote:

Ha, even I always thought it wasn't a real card and was just trying to play with the big boys (that was 15 years ago, though). I think I saw some teletrak issues in other threads as well. I feel sorry about that for you!

I'm close to getting WF or Discover. My initial plan was not to apply for any right now and just apply for the auto loan later with minimum inquiries on file. But AMEX has been really making me angry. I was waiting all day for a supervisor to call me - that call never came ("assure you, within the next couple of hours").

I really need active cards but it seems to me, I'm just rewarding them for bad service.

I could walk in to WF tomorrow but that would mean two inquiries - one HP for a CC and one later for a loan. Other option could be to apply for Discover right now and see if they would later do a CC and loan on a single HP, sometime in fall. Not sure if that could happen though. I don't think I'm looking for a mortgage yet. I think after a couple of CCs and an auto loan, I am done applying for any credit for some years.

I would have been satisifed with just those two AMEX cards but they're making it very hard for me to like them, service-wise.

If you're considering a new car instead of used, with your scores I would guess you could qualify for the special 0% or other very low rates dealers often offer. So you wouldn't be tied to a lender even though it's good to walk in with a car loan approval in hand (WF would no doubt have no prob giving you one at a good rate esp if you had a decent down payment etc).  PenFed and NFCU offer great rates on auto loans as well (I'm sure you've heard of both on here).  Research about auto financing before going to the dealer, they use a lot of tricks to make a profit, esp with financing.

I still feel that AMEX will eventually work with you on your back dating (Original Member Since date), it may only be after activating though, it's hard to say, sometimes they're odd about it.   They may get more agreeable after activating, they want people to use the cards, like I mentioned, they finally agreed to give me my original MS date after activation and sent the the new cards overnight with the new date on them.  They wouldn't budge much when I called to activate however, it was a few days later. I had no intentions on letting it slide LOL. However I was always very personable on the phone with them, asking more than demanding the persons help with the issue.

I don't think Discover does auto loans (I've never looked into it) and if they do, I'd doubt they'd do one on the same HP as for a CC. Most banks won't from what I've read. PenFed will for up to 90 days however (they told us they'll use the same HP for up to 90 days).   NFCU on the other hand (if one can get in with them) LOVES to HP LOL.

If you're interested in Discover at all, I'd say go for the Discover More, then WF. Then later the auto loan won't mind those inq's (different type of loan etc).  Like I mentioned elsewhere, it seems you're careful with your money and credit as well as having a decent income.  I doubt  you'd have a problem getting the 4 cards and the auto loan as well as managing them all properly (or I wouldn't be suggesting any of this).  If you're not looking for a mortgage for at least 12 months you don't have much to worry about really.

Oh, I drove my DM to WF the other day, she went in to move some funds, seemed to take a while.  They were trying to get her to put her investments back with them, she tolerated it because they fixed her online banking with them.  She's not moving anything back to their bank or investment services however. Esp after she showed me her WF CC has the highest interest of any card she has other than a couple store cards (21.99% I think, I may have read it wrong, it used to be very low).  She basicly said "they must think because I'm an older widow that I must be an idiot" and laughed.

Oh, I'm sorry - I think I made it sound like I was going to ask Discover for an auto loan. I actually meant that I was going to ask WF for an auto loan later. And hope that, implausibly, they would be able to do it on one HP. If I get the CC now, and do the loan app later, it will positively be two HPs.

Okay, I think I will activate the two AMEX cards today. I've really been basing this whole thing around "do I activate? you tell me?" but I could activate them today and ask them tomorrow "do I use it?"

I guess I might try Discover since there's a chance they will pull something other than EX. WF will all liklihood pull EX (banker confirmed that for me), which has all the HPs included the now deleted AMEX account. I only keep insisting on WF since I have 35k with them and that exerts a certain pull on them when I deal with them in person at the branch. I can handle the accounts and loan without problem insofar as capacity goes. I hardly spend money on anything, ha.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 53 of 61
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Here is info from posts that I had saved regarding backdating. There are a couple of different phone numbers, which may be of help:

The account number on reports may means nothing to CSRs, but it does mean something to Amex's credit reporting department.

100% correct, that's how I got my AmEx backdated, I called AmEx's internal credit bureau dept, and gave the account number that was listed on my EX credit report and then she was able to pull it up and see that my AmEx (opened in 91 and closed in 92) was still reporting in 2011 on EX and she kindly had that TL deleted (grrrrr) but, was able to see that I did indeed have an AmEx account opened in 91 and was able to backdate all my current AmEx cards to 91.

So if you have the account number that's listed on your EX report, call AmEx's internal credit bureau dept 1-800-874-2717, and you will be able to get your cards backdated in a snap.

If it is not reporting any longer, I do not believe AmEx's internal credit bureau dept will be able to pull it up, but if you do have old reports with the AmEx TL's reporting, they will give you a fax number to send a copy to.

amex backdating #Is this the number you're talking about?  (800) 297-6197---See if that helps!

Thanks bichonmom. The interal credit bureau is who I have been talking too. But instead of looking the number up for me, they went and fixed it by deleting my account off the CR. And now the sup there says he couldn't put it back even if he wanted to. It's gone. It certainly hasn't been easy with the internal credit bureau but I will try some more. Not given up yet!

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 54 of 61
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Ah ok, the Discover auto loan thing did confuse me a bit lol. 

As far as activating AMEX, I'd go ahead with that, then when that person calls back, like I mentioned, tell them you'd "like to use the cards but may wait until they can get your original member since date reflected on your accounts" (that is a more powerful phrase than most realize btw).  Just so you run less of a risk of messing up any other records they may have of your membership date after what you went through with the rep that deleted the info they could see (mention this  using a tone that implies  you feel you messed up, not them)  Smiley Wink

After  you activate however, you may want to check when you set up your online account with AMEX that it's not already back dated (just in case) before that sup calls back.

I think you'd like Discover More, like I've mentioned, I'm impressed so far with them.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 55 of 61
by2
Valued Member

I had a Amex in 1994 and it was closed. I just applied for 2 new Amex cards and they automatically back dated them both to 1994 and reporting them to all 3cb as so.
Starting Score:TU 62611/07/2011
Current Score: 72704/23/2012
Starting Score:EQ 60511/07/2011
Current Score: 69012/20/2012
Goal Score: 760+
Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge/Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge-for-...">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 56 of 61
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Ah ok, the Discover auto loan thing did confuse me a bit lol. 

As far as activating AMEX, I'd go ahead with that, then when that person calls back, like I mentioned, tell them you'd "like to use the cards but may wait until they can get your original member since date reflected on your accounts" (that is a more powerful phrase than most realize btw).  Just so you run less of a risk of messing up any other records they may have of your membership date after what you went through with the rep that deleted the info they could see (mention this  using a tone that implies  you feel you messed up, not them)  Smiley Wink

After  you activate however, you may want to check when you set up your online account with AMEX that it's not already back dated (just in case) before that sup calls back.

I think you'd like Discover More, like I've mentioned, I'm impressed so far with them.

I've been vacillating a bit. I thought I really didn't need another card, so I would sit out another application. But I keep seeing low overall credit as a negative across all CRs, so I think I ought to have a higher CL overall. In a way, the BCP $2k is enough for me (and I have the Green too!) but I think it probably isn't big enough if I want loans, etc. in the long term. I don't really need credit as much as I just want my credit profile to get stronger.

I also wonder if I apply straight away, if I might end up getting a rather small CL from Discover bearing in mind that my reports show only a $300 Cap1 CL albeit with a high FICO score. If I wait till BCP starts reporting, it will show another tradeline but 2 additional accounts will bring down AAoA. TU was already at 2.3 years, so it will come down a lot and there's a good chance Discover might pull TU (FICO 847 before the new accounts show up). EQ FICO is 807 right now.

I see pros and cons either way, so that's why I keep vacillating.

Message 57 of 61
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@by2 wrote:
I had a Amex in 1994 and it was closed. I just applied for 2 new Amex cards and they automatically back dated them both to 1994 and reporting them to all 3cb as so.

How long had it been closed for you? Mine has been closed almost 10 years.

Message 58 of 61
by2
Valued Member

Closed about the same 10 years but I did not have to ask them, got cards and date member since 94' got posted for one to cb and showing 94. As a result, my fake equifax score went up 7 points with just the one posting. My fake credit karma score also increased by 12 pts and vantage by 15. I know they don't mean much but perhaps my myfico scores have increased as well??.
Starting Score:TU 62611/07/2011
Current Score: 72704/23/2012
Starting Score:EQ 60511/07/2011
Current Score: 69012/20/2012
Goal Score: 760+
Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge/Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge-for-...">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 59 of 61
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@by2 wrote:
Closed about the same 10 years but I did not have to ask them, got cards and date member since 94' got posted for one to cb and showing 94. As a result, my fake equifax score went up 7 points with just the one posting. My fake credit karma score also increased by 12 pts and vantage by 15. I know they don't mean much but perhaps my myfico scores have increased as well??.

Oh, you will get some positive benefit for sure when your average age of accounts goes up (when it starts reporting on your credit reports). I know my EX FAKO didn't decrease even though a 15 yo AMEX disappeared but it depends on how much effect it has on the average (more accounts, less effect on average). Plus the real FICO might behave entirely in a different manner.

Message 60 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.