cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Balance Credit Card is not Reporting to Credit Union Good or Bad for FICO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Balance Credit Card is not Reporting to Credit Union Good or Bad for FICO?

I have a credit card with high credit limit which I do not use at all (so no balance). The credit card does not report to the credit unions so is it good or bad for my credit/fico score?

I want to apply for a difference credit card that offer good signup travel rewards so would like to know if having this high limit credit card help or hurt my chances of getting this new card. Thanks.

John

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: No Balance Credit Card is not Reporting to Credit Union Good or Bad for FICO?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a credit card with high credit limit which I do not use at all (so no balance). The credit card does not report to the credit unions so is it good or bad for my credit/fico score?

I want to apply for a difference credit card that offer good signup travel rewards so would like to know if having this high limit credit card help or hurt my chances of getting this new card. Thanks.

John

Welcome to the forums !

Are you saying that this credit card is not appearing on any of your credit reports ?   If that is the case then it won't be factored into your FICO score at all.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Balance Credit Card is not Reporting to Credit Union Good or Bad for FICO?

@Anonymous wrote:

John

John,

What kind of card do you have?  I would love to have a card that doesn't report to the CRAs.  FYI,  credit cards are not reported to credit unions.  They are reported to credit bureaus.  You may just have misspoke.   SInce the card doesn't have a balance it's not either good or bad.  But if you plan to carry a balance on other cards, you probably would like for the credit line to report for utilization purposes. 

Message 3 of 11
FrugalRican
Blogger

Does this happen to be a Bank of America Visa Signature card? Or something similar? Or one of the JP Morgan cards?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FrugalRican wrote:

Does this happen to be a Bank of America Visa Signature card? Or something similar? Or one of the JP Morgan cards?

Those cards reports.  The just do not report the credit lines.  I think OP is saying his card doesn't report a tradeline. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah your right I mean the credit bureaus Smiley Wink The credit card I have is the Fidelity Investments Visa Credit Card (from 2005) which I have a $28K credit limit (the highest I have) but which I never use. Trying to see if I should keep this or cancel it to have a better chance at getting the new credit cards. The only other card I am keeping right now is a 10K Discover Card (from 1994 Smiley Surprised also no use/balance ) because of it's long history.

Right now I am trying to get (all by Chase), Hyatt Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom for their great signup travel bonuses.

Thanks,

John

Message 6 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah your right I mean the credit bureaus Smiley Wink The credit card I have is the Fidelity Investments Visa Credit Card (from 2005) which I have a $28K credit limit (the highest I have) but which I never use. Trying to see if I should keep this or cancel it to have a better chance at getting the new credit cards. The only other card I am keeping right now is a 10K Discover Card (from 1994 Smiley Surprised also no use/balance ) because of it's long history.

Right now I am trying to get (all by Chase), Hyatt Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom for their great signup travel bonuses.

Thanks,

John

I would not cancel the card ~ have you checked all three CRAs to confirm that it isn't reporting ?   It would be unusual for it to not be reported at all.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 11
FrugalRican
Blogger

I wouldn't get rid of it. A lot of people would kill for a non-visible line.

Does your card say "Visa Signature" on it?

BTW, Chase MIGHT let you get all those cards at the same time, but be prepared in case they don't. They might state a 30-day rule.

Are you a Chase checking customer?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 11
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

John

What does your report look like? AAoA, inquiries, util %?

Chase will more than likely pull EQ.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it does say "Visa Signature" on it.  I am a Chase Checking Customer. I had a Chase Business Credit Card (opened by me, 9K) but cancelled it since they will use that against me when I apply for the consumer credit card.  I am planning on appling to each of the Chase Cards over an extended period of time. Would like to get at least one of them.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.