Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Best Buy or Home Depot Love...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

No Best Buy or Home Depot Love...

So, I know Citi backs Best Buy & Home Depot.  

Citi is my oldest card, opened in 2009, PIF, never late, 12k limit.  I also had another card with citi that I had closed 7k limit, never late, PIF.

I was surprised when they only gave me a 500.00 limit with Home Depot and flat out declined me for Best Buy.

Yes, I have 8 apps in two weeks, but I am still a little surprised that I got declined for Best Buy, when i was approved for Home Depot

Any thoughts as to why:

A) I was declined for Best Buy

B) Why limit on Home Depot is only 500.00

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: No Best Buy or Home Depot Love...

Don't know about Best Buy but Home Depot commonly starts limits low and you need to create and account online and request a CLI instantly.

My partner went from 701 to $25k (did have to call in though but I think it's because we asked for well over $25k but I always tell people to ask for $25k and they seem to always get responses back online in just an hour usually and don't need to call.

They will counter, that's why I say ask for $25k and just log back in after an hour and you should see the new CL.

Message 2 of 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the 25k CLI request, have had positive results myself with that.
Message 3 of 9
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Will it be a HP ?  

When I was approved for the card (during the same call) I asked the woman for an increase to 2k and she said I did not qualify, so I said 1k and she said I did not qualify.

So, you think my requesting 25k online will do the trick ?

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

Will it be a HP ?  

When I was approved for the card (during the same call) I asked the woman for an increase to 2k and she said I did not qualify, so I said 1k and she said I did not qualify.

So, you think my requesting 25k online will do the trick ?

you applied over the phone?

and YES I think doing the request online would do the trick because that goes to underwriting not a CSR taking apps

Message 5 of 9
Andy77
Valued Contributor

No, I applied online and then the screen said call and and the woman asked me those questions from my credit report, then I asked her if I could try for a higher limit and she asked me what I wanted and I said..2k and she said that did not go through, then I said 1k...did not go through.

So, when I get the card, I will try online... BUT do you know if it is a HP ?  

Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

No, I applied online and then the screen said call and and the woman asked me those questions from my credit report, then I asked her if I could try for a higher limit and she asked me what I wanted and I said..2k and she said that did not go through, then I said 1k...did not go through.

So, when I get the card, I will try online... BUT do you know if it is a HP ?  

you should be able to set up the account online now without the card and yes it will be a hp (which if you reconed it's possibly already been pulled so they would use that for the request again)

Message 7 of 9
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

congrats on HD approval Andy. I applied for the Citi Best Buy card last year and was instantly declined because of INQs. that was only reason given. It may have been the same for you if indeed most of those recent inquiries have been on EX. I would say the underwriting criteria for the the HD card is more lenient than BB.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 8 of 9
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

most definitely a HP from any of the 3 CBs

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.