Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No CC Reporting a Balance...

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

No CC Reporting a Balance...

Hello all,

Is the practice of letting only one CC show a 1-9% balance still valid if you also have an auto loan? In other words, can you just let the auto loan report and all your cards report zero? This is for maximum FICO scoring. Thanks as always for your input.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: No CC Reporting a Balance...

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Hello all,

Is the practice of letting only one CC show a 1-9% balance still valid if you also have an auto loan? In other words, can you just let the auto loan report and all your cards report zero? This is for maximum FICO scoring. Thanks as always for your input.

Not sure about this but I would recommend not to stress about micro managing until you plan to app.  1 or 2 revolving accounts with a balance is no big difference in scores anyway (5-10 points only for me) and this will certainly not make the difference between approval or  denial.  Smiley Happy   0 balance reporting is bad and the loss in score is bigger (for me minus 15-20) than reporting 2 accounts with a balance. So I would not report all revolving with 0 balances.  At least in my tests with only revolving accounts. To get auto-luv I think this all 0 and 1 balance reporting micro management thing  might even be contra productive?  I will do 1-2 accounts with balances for end of May/beginning June preparing for an app but in the meantime I simply do not care and report balances as they come. Soon will have 7 out of nine reported with a balance or might end up even 9 of 9..we will see....

edit: all tests with single digit overall util Smiley Happy and up to 90% single card util Smiley Sad..same result

Message 2 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Hello all,

The rule typically applies within revolving accounts, which an auto loan is not, so it's still wise to let one CC show a balance in such a case.

Message 3 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Hello all,

The rule typically applies within revolving accounts, which an auto loan is not, so it's still wise to let one CC show a balance in such a case.

Thank you for your input...this is what I will continue doing at app time.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Correct the 1-9% rule only applies to CC's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Hello all,

Not sure about this but I would recommend not to stress about micro managing until you plan to app.  1 or 2 revolving accounts with a balance is no big difference in scores anyway (5-10 points only for me) and this will certainly not make the difference between approval or  denial.  Smiley Happy   0 balance reporting is bad and the loss in score is bigger (for me minus 15-20) than reporting 2 accounts with a balance. So I would not report all revolving with 0 balances.  At least in my tests with only revolving accounts. To get auto-luv I think this all 0 and 1 balance reporting micro management thing  might even be contra productive?  I will do 1-2 accounts with balances for end of May/beginning June preparing for an app but in the meantime I simply do not care and report balances as they come. Soon will have 7 out of nine reported with a balance or might end up even 9 of 9..we will see....

edit: all tests with single digit overall util Smiley Happy and up to 90% single card util Smiley Sad..same result

Thanks LG...I am planning to app in June/July and was curious what others thought. I'm going to continue the usual one cc at 1-9% in May. Like you said, the few points will not be the approval/denial pivot point.

Message 6 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Thanks to you also, MJ! I'm surprised there wasn't a garden admonition included...lol!

Message 7 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Thanks to you also, MJ! I'm surprised there wasn't a garden admonition included...lol!

Lol 

You want gold so I think you'll be ok .....Disclaimer ....SO FAR Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.