cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No CLI for a *secured* card from Orchard?

tag
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

No CLI for a *secured* card from Orchard?

I just called Orchard to find out, basically, where to send my check to increase my limit on the secured card I have with them. I was told that they are not granting any CLIs at this time, "due to a business decision."  HUH?? That seems non-sensical to me, as this is a *secured* card. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Or, at least some clarification as to how this can be?

(BTW - I've had this card since Aug 09 and have diligently paid if off every month before the statement is released; my current CL is $200. Admittedly, I didn't know about utilization % until I joined MyFICO; I clearly need to bring that number down -- which is why I wanted the CL to begin with!)

Thanks!

Staring FAKO: 490 (NEVER again!!!!)

Current (as of 3/2011): EX(FAKO): 538; TU: 635; EQ: 637

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: No CLI for a *secured* card from Orchard?

@hapagrrl wrote:

I just called Orchard to find out, basically, where to send my check to increase my limit on the secured card I have with them. I was told that they are not granting any CLIs at this time, "due to a business decision."  HUH?? That seems non-sensical to me, as this is a *secured* card. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Or, at least some clarification as to how this can be?

(BTW - I've had this card since Aug 09 and have diligently paid if off every month before the statement is released; my current CL is $200. Admittedly, I didn't know about utilization % until I joined MyFICO; I clearly need to bring that number down -- which is why I wanted the CL to begin with!)

Thanks!

Staring FAKO: 490 (NEVER again!!!!)

Current (as of 3/2011): EX(FAKO): 538; TU: 635; EQ: 637

Sounds like the rep either didn't realize you had a secured card and wanted to add more money to your secured deposit to increase your CL or she misunderstood that you wanted to add money not get a partially unsecured CLI.  Call back, make sure they understand.

Message 2 of 6
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

You're right, that would be an interesting "business decision."

"Hey Orchard, will you hold onto some more of my money and charge me interest to borrow my own money?"

"No, too risky!"

I agree, call back.  That doesn't sound right.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Datx
Valued Contributor

I had the same question for Orchard Bank last year and sent a secured email to them from my online account. Here is the email they replied back with:

Thank you for your email inquiry dated 07/24/10. In order for an increase in
your credit limit to occur, it will be necessary to send a minimum deposit of
$100.00. The check must be in increments of $100.00 not exceeding a total
credit limit of $15,000.00 and mailed to the following address:

HSBC Bank USA
P.O. Box 9
Buffalo, NY 14240

Please remember to write CLI and include your savings Account number on the
memo line of your check. Once your check has cleared, your credit limit will
be increased accordingly. Please allow 16 days from the date of receipt for
personal checks to be processed. Cashier's checks will be processed within 24
to 48 hours upon receipt.

Message 4 of 6
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

Thank you, Everyone, for all your helpful and funny responses - and helping me feel less like an idiot (Yeah, Orchard -- as if I don't feel bad enough with my ca-ca credit scores Smiley Wink).

Oh, and I did repeat to them several times that this was for a secured card -- which she should've been able to see, anyway, if she'd pulled up my account...

Anyway, rather than complain about their outsourced call center, I'm going to email them through my online account, then, as you suggested, MyCreditStinks. It's funny - I thought calling would get me better customer service Smiley Sad

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 5 of 6
Datx
Valued Contributor

@hapagrrl wrote:

Anyway, rather than complain about their outsourced call center, I'm going to email them through my online account, then, as you suggested, MyCreditStinks. It's funny - I thought calling would get me better customer service Smiley Sad

I agree that you should be able to get good CS through the phone too. I just went the email route because its just easier for me.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.