Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Cap One CLI for me..

tag
Roxlie
Contributor

No Cap One CLI for me..

I've had a Cap One Platinum card for 17 months now. It was opened with a $500 CL 16.99%. Last month I called to ask about a CLI and the guy said although I've had a perfect payment record they couldn't approve it. He couldn't even say why cause it looked fine to him. We talked for nearly 30 minutes and he told me it's not a rebuilder card, it's a step above that. I think he was as confused as I was. After the call I called the backdoor # and tried again..same response as before. So I went online and applied for another card and was instantly approved for a $500 CL 0% for 6 months then 8.99% after that. So, I'm in the process of combining those cards now. I was going to keep the card I got in Jan 07 for the age but decided that the 8.99% is better than the 16.99. I just can't understand why they couldn't approve a CLI but offered me another card with a way lower interest rate. This card came with a flyer for the credit steps program saying after 3 consecutive payments they will auto CLI. I guess we'll see.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: No Cap One CLI for me..

well i'll tell you one thing is that they want you to have multiply cards with them so they can charge you more interest and possible annual fees. that what i think.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 2 of 12
Roxlie
Contributor

That could well be, but they are allowing me to combine them..so there goes the AF and almost 2x the interest. It's very strange...if I don't get the auto CLI on the 4th statement I'll have to call them again.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

lets say you have a cap one card and they wont give you a cli so you get another cap one card and combine them to basically force the cli. I wonder if you could do this every six months(basically when the 0% apr stops) and just keep getting your limit up that way. would probably screw up your FICO score tho - hmmm
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just kicked Cap 1 to the curb for the exact same reason.

When I called to cancel (I requested the CLI in Feb) they went over the same things - you pay on time, you are a good customer, yada, yada, yada.

When they asked why I was canceling I told them the card was useless with a $500 limit.

Still no CLI - CLOSED!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

you will screw it up because you open to many credit lines or for another reason?
Message 6 of 12
Roxlie
Contributor

Wow Techno..and your scores are about 60-70 points higher than mine..I guess I shouldn't hold out much hope for a CLI in the next few months. Does anyone know if the Credit Steps program is a guaranteed increase?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roxlie wrote:
Wow Techno..and your scores are about 60-70 points higher than mine..I guess I shouldn't hold out much hope for a CLI in the next few months. Does anyone know if the Credit Steps program is a guaranteed increase?

Yes, it's guaranteed as long as you use your card, don't pay late, and don't go over the limit.

Mine showed up on my fifth statement.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I have read from those here who have a card in credit steps the answer is a
         resounding YES!   However, you MUST make your payments on time.

Roxlie wrote:

Message 9 of 12
Roxlie
Contributor

Okay good to hear. I make all my payments on time so I'll be looking forward to it then. Maybe I'll wait another month in case it doesn't come on the 4th statement.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.