cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Credit, But Would Like to Establish Some, Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Credit, But Would Like to Establish Some, Advice?

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely a good time to start establishing a credit history!

Given that you have a banking relationship with Chase, it actually might not hurt to try with them--have you checked the Chase website to see if you're prequalified for anything? I think I've seen examples recently of people in similar situations being approved for Chase Freedom with a very low limit, which would be a good place to start building. Discover would also be a good place to start, they often like thin (or even nonexistent) files and have been known to approve people with no history for an unsecured card.

I just checked Chase to see if I had any prequalified card offers and there are none. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely a good time to start establishing a credit history!

Given that you have a banking relationship with Chase, it actually might not hurt to try with them--have you checked the Chase website to see if you're prequalified for anything? I think I've seen examples recently of people in similar situations being approved for Chase Freedom with a very low limit, which would be a good place to start building. Discover would also be a good place to start, they often like thin (or even nonexistent) files and have been known to approve people with no history for an unsecured card.

I just checked Chase to see if I had any prequalified card offers and there are none. Smiley Sad

Alas Smiley Frustrated I'd say your two best options are Discover's student card, or applying for a Chase Freedom by going to a physical branch... applying in person might not make a difference, but it probably wouldn't hurt.

The fact that you got rejected for a secured card gives me slight pause, though. Are you sure your reports are clean? Maybe look at Credit Karma or a similar free service to check your reports; the scores they give aren't necessarily accurate (and in your case, you may not even have any) but it will let you see two bureaus' reports to make sure there's nothing weird on there that could be getting in your way.

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just applied for the Discover It Student Credit Card and got APPROVED for a $750 credit line!! thanks so much you guys!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Message 13 of 29
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I would try some pre-qualifier's sites. Just google them. No harm in your score.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Applying for the Capital One Platinum won't work well if you were declined for the Capital One secured card. Sometimes it is hard to get started when you don't have a credit history.

Try applying for the Discover Student Card and see how that works out.  Make sure it is the student version you apply for, and not the regular Discover. They may counter with a secured card.

https://www.discovercard.com/application/apply?execution=e1s1

@Anonymous wrote:
I just applied for the Discover It Student Credit Card and got APPROVED for a $750 credit line!! thanks so much you guys!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:
Yay! Very excited for you. i thought Discover might be willing to help. Treat it well, pay in full, and after 12 months apply for Barclay Rewards and Capital One Unsecured card to continue building. Other cards will begin to open their doors from there. Having a full 12 month payment history will increase your chances of success. Congratulations!

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, that's awesome! Discover is a great place to start, they'll definitely raise your limit as time goes on if you're paying in full and always paying on time. Enjoy Smiley Very Happy And after a year, Chase could be a good addition.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just applied for the Discover It Student Credit Card and got APPROVED for a $750 credit line!! thanks so much you guys!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

YAYYYYYYY!!! Welcome to the Discover family!

I find it funny that Discover approved you for an unsecured card, but Capital One wouldn't give a Secured. Oh wells. You're in with a wonderful bank! Treat the card right & it will treat you right Smiley Wink.

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I find it funny that Discover approved you for an unsecured card, but Capital One wouldn't give a Secured. Oh wells. You're in with a wonderful bank! Treat the card right & it will treat you right Smiley Wink.

Thanks and I thought the same thing. xD I'm interested in reading the application decline email that Capital One said they will send me.

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks and I thought the same thing. xD I'm interested in reading the application decline email that Capital One said they will send me.

Yeah, if you remember to - please share the details with us! It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, if you remember to - please share the details with us! It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Will do! Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.