Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Credit Cards at All Does this....

tag
walkingant

No Credit Cards at All Does this....

Greetings,

My wife and I have no credit cards at all, and have not had any for about 10 years. We only use Debit cards or cash for purchases.

How badly is this hurting our Fico scores?  The only loan under "credit cards" is a tire store revolving balance of  $ 1596 with a limit of $ 2450 or a utilization rate of 65.14%.

I keep reading that credit cards help your score if you keep the utilization rate below 30%.

Thank You for any responses.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: No Credit Cards at All Does this....

Welcome to the forum !

The only cc on your reports has an extremely high util. Yes, your util is way too high and hurting your CS.

I suggest getting it down to less than 20% before applying for any credit.
Message 2 of 11
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Yes. In a manner of speaking, not having any cards hurts your score in the sense that you will be lacking a big part of the credit mix (loans and mortgages being the other big two) and you also end up not having a thicker credit file which makes your score less resilient to changes. And yes, if the only revvolving account is the one you list, then it is hurting because that level of utilization WILL lower your score.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum

What are your scores, how many INQ's I assume not many since you have no cards?

What is your oldest TL

Answering these may better get you the answers you seek

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Just like the others stated, yes, having only one CC with a high UTL hurts your score. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, having more cards (not over doing it though!) helps your score because it shows that you're able to manage more credit. My CS was lower when I had only two credit cards VS having 6. Also having a credit mix of an auto loan, mortgage, etc.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 5 of 11
walkingant

hi,

Myfico score is 615, it was 619 until a couple days ago when someone pulled a "hard" credit inquiry and it dropped 4 points. I have no idea who that company is or why they would pull my credit.  My score is indeed low from having the state audited my tax returns for last 8 years--in late 2012. They placed four leins on my propety for tax debt I could not pay. I am making $ 340 payments twice a month.   Anyway, I only had one inquiry on my credit before the last one.

As for trade lines, i have a mortgage--it is the oldest TL at 104 months--

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
HiLine
Blogger

Sounds like the tire store thing is actually a credit card of some sort. If so, the high utilization on that account is hurting your score a lot. Paying off the balance will give you a very nice score bump! 

Message 7 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1
The four state tax liens are also a big ding on your cr.
Message 8 of 11
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

@walkingant wrote:

hi,

Myfico score is 615, it was 619 until a couple days ago when someone pulled a "hard" credit inquiry and it dropped 4 points. I have no idea who that company is or why they would pull my credit.  My score is indeed low from having the state audited my tax returns for last 8 years--in late 2012. They placed four leins on my propety for tax debt I could not pay. I am making $ 340 payments twice a month.   Anyway, I only had one inquiry on my credit before the last one.

As for trade lines, i have a mortgage--it is the oldest TL at 104 months--

Thanks

Ouch. Those tax leins will really hurt as long as they are on the report. The util as others have said will give a score bump when it is brought down, 10% would be better than 30, but really unless you are going to be applying for credit soon, it is a non issue. So glad we dont have a state income tax in Texas!
Message 9 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd app for some new cards, maybe a Freedom/IT and a new GE store card.
Also, ask for a cli on the Tire card a cli will help util thus improving FICO. If you're paying a high rate on the tires, you could also do a 0% bt.
Ime, the more well managed accts you have , the better!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.