Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No EMV for my Cap1 World MC

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

No EMV for my Cap1 World MC

The chips are flying, apparantly, but Capital One is not participating.  I recently contacted them to see if they would put and EMV chip on my Quicksilver World Mastercard.  I told them I wanted it for higher security and ease of use while travelling.  You would think that a World card with no FTF and a decent limit would be available with a chip, but no such luck.

What follows is a paste from the chat with a Capital One rep:

Chat Information : Hi, this is <chatrep>. Whom do I have the pleasure of chatting with today?
you: Hello. This is p-.
you: I would like to find out if you can add an EMV chip to my credit card for higher security and ease of use when travelling.
you: right now it is just a magnetic stripe.
<chatrep> : Hello p-.
<chatrep> : Let me check that for you.
you: Thank you
<chatrep> : You're welcome.
<chatrep> : Chip & PIN is the brand name for a card payment system used in many countries outside of the United States. A Chip & PIN-enabled card contains a microchip embedded inside the card which is used with a 4-digit PIN for authentication.
<chatrep> : Capital One does not have a Chip & PIN card available at this time, but keep in mind that merchants who accept Visa / MasterCard credit cards must accept all valid cards regardless of whether or not the card is enabled with Chip & PIN technology.
you: Ok. Do you have any information on the timetable for the roll out? Other card providers have already begun to offer it, and the change is supposed to be complete in the US by 2015.
<chatrep> : We want to make sure that we provide you with the safest, most reliable product when you travel. We are currently exploring options to improve your experience with foreign transactions, but do not have an expected date of availability.
you: Ok, thanks.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: No EMV for my Cap1 World MC

Makes sense. No FTF, but no chip either..Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote: Makes sense. No FTF, but no chip either..Smiley Frustrated

Yeah...  So now the question is whether I had an uninformed rep or not.  Anyone get an EMV from these guys?

Message 3 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'll keep you posted, as I'm researching it.  Three months to vacation, but no chips in my wallet.

Message 4 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote: I'll keep you posted, as I'm researching it.  Three months to vacation, but no chips in my wallet.

Frustrating, isn't it?  They all say that processing rules mean everyone has to honor the mag, but try telling that to a foreign waiter.  Chase said no as well, on my Sig card.  I haven't asked USAA yet.

Message 5 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

Amex promised to chip the Unicorn, but then just sent a new normal card.  Now they say it's not available.

Message 6 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Not overly worried, but I'm sure at one point it'll be an issue. I'm sure I could nail my 5/3 wmc for a chip.

*edit: read the rehash on the no zync chippage, but I'm due in Nov for pc, so I'll be calling them on the first of the month. All answers then!

Message 7 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Just posted on Cap One FB, "when will the higher tier cards be available for chip/pin, or chip/sign, to compliment FTF?"

MY POST GOT DELETED.Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 19
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I have tried  a similar mission with my Visa Signature card... no luck Smiley Happy ... but who knows?  Cap1 might come up with a chip faster than expected... after all CSR in the PH are not really up to date with the product info... they told me that my account is not eligible for a pc to  Quicksilver VS  and the next week I get the letter that my account will be switched automatically... so I wait for a surprise on the chip here as well ..LOL

Edit: There is also Barclays Arrival WMC - no chip option yet Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 19
p-
Valued Contributor

Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:  Just posted on Cap One FB, "when will the higher tier cards be available for chip/pin, or chip/sign, to compliment FTF?" MY POST GOT DELETED.Smiley Mad

Really?  That's dirty.  Maybe it would get their attention if more of us visited their page at https://www.facebook.com/capitalone and asked them about it.  I just did.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.