cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No EMV on Chase Sapphire Preferred MasterCard?

tag
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Re: No EMV on Chase Sapphire Preferred MasterCard?

I asked Chase about this today.  It's confirmed that all Chase branded Mastercards (Freedom, Sapphires, Slates, etc) will be moving to Visa cards by early next year due to an "expanded arrangement with Visa".  So there is no reason for you to turn down the EMV-chipped Visa card since you'll be swapped to a Visa card anyway in the next few months.

For me, the Chase Freedom I have is one of the rare Mastercard versions (upgraded from a Slate card that was Mastercard years ago).  When Chase transitions me, that will leave my BofA Cash Rewards as the sole Mastercard in my wallet (3 personal Amex, soon to be 5 Visas and 1 Discover).

Message 11 of 21
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

I actually called Chase today as well and spoke with a nice gentlemen who told me that Chase is indeed looking at converting all Chase-branded cards (not partner cards like United, GM, etc.) to Visa to keep all of them "streamlined" as, he put it, in terms of benefits, better service, etc. for their customers.  He did however, tell me that Chase does not have any plans to convert my current CSP MasterCard into a Visa and that the only way it would convert is by customer request.  What he did confirm is that Chase is no longer currently issuing new accounts (Slate, Freedom, Sapphire) under the MasterCard brand, even if a customer calls in to request a change to MasterCard.  

Basically, what it sounded like he told me was that Chase has no current plans to convert any account to Visa that currently is a MasterCard.  So, if anybody out there prefers to keep their Chase credit card account a MasterCard like I do...don't change anything.  In the future you may be one of the few people who has a Chase MasterCard.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 12 of 21
mxp114
Valued Contributor

That nice gentlemen is wrong, someone leaked a screenshot of the internal memo that stated very clearly all would be issued as Visa in 2014 but not to tell customers about this change until they receive notice. Off memory the timeline was by summer.

Message 13 of 21
sjt
Senior Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

That nice gentlemen is wrong, someone leaked a screenshot of the internal memo that stated very clearly all would be issued as Visa in 2014 but not to tell customers about this change until they receive notice. Off memory the timeline was by summer.

So my Ink Bold World Elite MasterCard will be converted to a Visa Signature?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 14 of 21
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Yes at some point in the future, one site says upon card expiry but the memo mentioned other triggers such as requesting a replacement card that could set off the conversion sooner. I didn't pay attention to the details because I don't have a Chase MC but I did find an article about it, http://thepointsguy.com/2013/09/chase-ink-visa-signature-changeover-what-it-means-for-you/

Message 15 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mxp114 wrote:

+1

An item to keep in mind GeneralCucumbre, that gentleman you spoke with would likely not be priviledged to any upcoming strategy decisions that are usually made at the top.  While he may have general knowledge of what is in current state, he ultimately would not know until most changes are due to occur.  Therefore, what mxp114 mentioned above is in line with the changes that are foreseeable for 2014 as they expand their Visa relationship with their mainline, non-cobranded cards.

Message 16 of 21
Anam
Established Member

Chase just told me that the CSP Mastercards will be switched to Visa around December 16th and mailed out shortly thereafter. The old MC cards will still work untill January.

Message 17 of 21
370Z
Frequent Contributor

@Anam wrote:

Chase just told me that the CSP Mastercards will be switched to Visa around December 16th and mailed out shortly thereafter. The old MC cards will still work untill January.

Well, ain't that a stinky poo. Even sooner than expected.Smiley Mad

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 18 of 21
LoveCardPerks
New Visitor

I'd suggest doing what I did, I emailed [MOD CUT] directly expressing my discontent.  Got a phone call from the executive office a day later.  Customers should voice their concens...

To:  MOD CUT

I was notified that Chase is in the process of ending the relationship with Mastercard, and my Chase Sapphire Preferred card will have to be 'converted' to a VISA.

I want to express my discontent of Chase limiting my consumer choice, and forcing me to switch my card products all to VISA.

I already have 2 VISA cards with Chase, having a Mastercard gave me opportunities to attend Mastercard-only events, and purchase from Master-card only vendors.  Now Chase is limiting my ability, and as a result will have to close this account and open a Mastercard with another bank.

Posting personal names /email address-Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 19 of 21
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@LoveCardPerks wrote:

I'd suggest doing what I did, I emailed mod cut. directly expressing my discontent.  Got a phone call from the executive office a day later.  Customers should voice their concens...

MOD CUT

I was notified that Chase is in the process of ending the relationship with Mastercard, and my Chase Sapphire Preferred card will have to be 'converted' to a VISA.

I want to express my discontent of Chase limiting my consumer choice, and forcing me to switch my card products all to VISA.

I already have 2 VISA cards with Chase, having a Mastercard gave me opportunities to attend Mastercard-only events, and purchase from Master-card only vendors.  Now Chase is limiting my ability, and as a result will have to close this account and open a Mastercard with another bank.

I have yet to get any notification from Chase that my CSP is being converted.

edit-personal name/email address

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.