Regular Contributor

No EMV on Chase Sapphire Preferred MasterCard?

I understand that many who have the Chase Sapphire Preferred have recently gotten EMV (Chip and Signature) versions of their cards and I just called in to request one on my account as it seems that we are transitioning to this new technology.  However, I was told by Chase that they are not offering the chip card to MasterCard accounts.  I was told that I had to convert my account to a Visa card in order to get the chip and signature feature.  I told the guy "thanks, but no thanks...I would rather keep my card as a MasterCard."

After some further research this seems to be valid.  Either way, has anybody with a CSP MasterCard been able to get a chip version?  I also understand that Chase seems to want to drop MasterCard completely and offer Visa products only...and that all current MasterCard account holders will eventually get Visa cards.  Is this true?  Can anybody shed some light?

AMEX Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $20,000
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - $25,000 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $22,000
Chase Slate Visa - $10,800 | Citi AT&T Universal MC - $15,200 | Best Buy (Citi) Card - $10,000
USAA Platinum MC - $21,000 | Amazon Store Card - $3,800
Regular Contributor

Re: No EMV on Chase Sapphire Preferred MasterCard?

It's hilarious, I actually got 5 non-emv cards in the mail after calling in multiple times and they didn't know why. They said they were going to completely drop Mastercard from some of their cards so I just converted to a Visa right there so I didn't have to deal with it in the future. So I should be getting an EMV card soon.

Senior Contributor

I think you can get the signup bonus again by applying for the Visa card.  At least you used to be able to.  That's what I'd be more concerned with.  And then you can get your EMV chip.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor

It's that time of the year where Visa is more popular than Mastercard, same thing is happening with Citi with their thankyou cards. Premier & Preferred now only come with Visa unless you were preselected for a MC.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Chase Sapphire Preferred: 7K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5.7K
MERRILL+® Visa Signature®: 9K | Bank of America Accelerated Cash Rewards American Express Card: 1K
BankAmericard Privileges® with Cash Rewards: 7K
Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 3.5K | Costco AMEX: 10.7K | AMEX PRG NPSL | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi ThankYou Preferred World Mastercard 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard 5K | Citi Double Cash 3.5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K
Regular Contributor

Chase will be phasing out MasterCard by early next year. Co branded cards are to be the exclusion.
Frequent Contributor

I've been watching this recently too, and I am wondering what it means for Mastercard. Are the banks trying to phase it out as a payment network in the U.S. (at least the big ones)? I know oddball CUs, Capital One, and some other small issuers are decidedly Mastercard, but I keep seeing the big banks switching to Visa.
Cards I Carry
$1K$1.1K$7.5K$10.1K$23K$12k$5k$6k$12.5k
Total Available Credit: $85.2k | FICOS: EX 643 | EQ 621 | TU 678
Store: Nordstrom Retail $6k and Target $800. Recently acquired: U.S. Bank Cash Rewards Visa $1k.
Valued Contributor

GeneralCucumbre wrote:

Either way, has anybody with a CSP MasterCard been able to get a chip version?

I haven't and was told the same thing -- after receiving a non-EMV replacement when I requested one with EMV.

Valued Contributor

As part of Chase expanding their relationship with Visa, they are moving all of the Chase branded products (Freedom, CS, CSP, Ink, Slate) to Visa. Existing MasterCard accounts will be issued a Visa or Visa Signature card beginning in 2014. Afaik you can no longer apply or convert into a MC version of the aforementioned products effective 11/1. This is what I was told via SM so take it with a grain of salt :smileywink:

Regular Contributor

I bet this was somewhat motivated by a desire to cut down on sign-up bonus chasers who applied for both Visa and MC versions of a card offering. It's too bad Visa won out though.

Citi DC VS - 11.4k - 12.24% - 6/12 ~ Chase Ink+ WEMC - 5k - 10.24% - 7/12 ~ Chase Freedom VS - 5k - 12.99% - 2/13 ~ Chase Hyatt VS - 5k - 15.24% - 6/13 ~ Amex Hilton - 5.8k -13.99% - 8/13 ~ Chase IHG WMC - 3k - 15.24% - 1/14 ~ Chase Ink$ VS - 5k - 13.24% - 5/14 ~ NFCU $ VS - 20k - 9.65% - 12/14 ~ Citi AA WEMC - 2.9k - 10.24% - 12/14
Senior Contributor

370Z wrote:

I bet this was somewhat motivated by a desire to cut down on sign-up bonus chasers who applied for both Visa and MC versions of a card offering. It's too bad Visa won out though.

I doubt it.  I would imagine it has a lot more to do with getting a better deal from Visa on fees for using their payment network in exchange for moving over several card products.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.