cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Foreign Transaction Fee on PENFED or other cards?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: No Foreign Transaction Fee on PENFED or other cards?

I just got off the phone with NFCU and they said they aren't doing chip and pin cards yet.   They also said that I need to spend all of my rewards points before I product change because I will lose all points with the change.   So I need to look for some rewards to buy and I might look again at that Andrews AFB visa, but I think I will try to see how often I need it when I get to UK before applying.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 21 of 33
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Google images flagship card and you can see pics of the chip and pin version

My google image search resulted in many pictures of the NFCU flagship card, but I didn't see any with a chip in it.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 22 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that stinks.I thought they had them because I saw them all on Google when I was looking at cars designs. Sorry man!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 33
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

The State Department FCU just announced a EMV card with no FX fees. It's a reward card as well.  Membership is open to anyone. www.sdfcu.org.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 24 of 33
compassion101
Established Contributor

Thanks for posting this thread. I have called CapOne and they tell me that my cards have no foreign transaction fees, which I never knew. Quite helpful as Cahse does charge fees and I am off to Montreal for 2 months next week!

Message 25 of 33
Scamp
Valued Contributor

FWIW, Chase also offers a British Airways Visa card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, and their new cards at least have a chip in them (whether or not this will work at chip-and-pin places in the UK, I don't know, as I've not inquired with them about that yet).

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 26 of 33
heirophant
Established Contributor

BOA Travel Rewards has no foreign transaction fees.

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 27 of 33
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

BOA Travel Rewards has no foreign transaction fees.

I am now thinking about this card.  BoA usually pulls TU afaik, which is a better score for me right now and the inq wouldn't hurt my EQ report which has way too many inquiries.  I would apply right now, but I don't know what I would use for a mailing address since I am moving out of a hotel next week, then living in DC for 2 weeks, then catching a plane to UK.  I think I will do it once I get to my final destination though.

Message 28 of 33
heirophant
Established Contributor

FWIW, BOA almost exclusively pulls EX.  Not to throw a monkey wrentch in your plans...

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 29 of 33
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@heirophant wrote:

FWIW, BOA almost exclusively pulls EX.  Not to throw a monkey wrentch in your plans...

Where have you heard that?  The last time I applied with BoA they pulled TU.  Also, on a website (which i will not link here) that lists peoples application statuses and which report was pulled, it is predominantly TU with only a small few getting EX.

But, even if EX was the case (which i doubt), my goal is to avoid pulling EQ, so I win either way.   Plus, if they do pull EX, I would get my EX FICO.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.