cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Interest Promotion Help

tag
Uplink

No Interest Promotion Help

So I have the Best Buy card and spent $459 with the no interest for 6 months promotion with the store card. I have the statement and I think I am reading this right, but since I have other stuff charged to the card, I am not entirely sure how it works. Does this mean $459 of my statement will be interest free until the expiration date, which is 11/14? It says that is the promotional balance but lists a deffered interest charges of $13.23. The total new balance for this statement is $502, typically paying that off will be interest free, with the remained on the next statement. But with the interest, If I pay $43, the amount not falling under the promotion, that $459 will stay interest free?

I was not quite sure how it all worked out, I just kind of been figuring it out on my own. Sorry if my wording is confusing, it's hard to word this kind of thing without it seeming confusing. Pretty much, when you have a balance and a no interest balance included, the no interest is a set amount until it expires? Unless it gets partly paid off, then the promotional no interest decreases. I think I am figuring it out, I just needed some confirmation to make sure I was doing this right.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: No Interest Promotion Help

That $459 may stay interest free but if you only paid $458 or less of the $459 all the deferred interest will be added on at the end ot the promotion. As far as how your payment is allocated you will have to read your terms. Sometimes they like to put the payment on the promotion so they can charge interest on the new purchases.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 7
Uplink

Okay, so the interest will be if it doesn't all get paid off. So I think I see now. That amount will remain interest free on all my statements, so pretty much, my entire account will have to be paid off by the end promotion date to avoid the interest. Right? So If my balance were say $500 and the interest free payments were $1 left, but I couldn't get that one dollar paid off because any new payments went towards the $500, I would be stuck paying all the interest on the $459?

Message 3 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

That's right and like I said say you make that $43 payment. A lot of the time they will try to put the $43 toward the $459 instead of the new purchases. That way the following month they will charge you interest on the $43 plus any new purchases made in the new statement. That's why I said read your terms on how you make your payments and

how the payments are allocated on your account and make sure the new purchases are paid first.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 7
Uplink

Oh, okay. Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
L1L
New Visitor
New Visitor

I have the best buy card and I did read through the terms, just thought I would share....

If you make a promotional charge (6mo interest free), it will remain interest free until that particular balance is paid off. If you make another purchase, it is separate from the promotion. As long as the promotion is paid off before the end of the promotion, you will not be charged interest for that balance. You will be charged interest on non-promotional purchases of course. 

From my own experience, I can tell you that if you make a minimum payment, it will be divided between promotion balances and non-promotion balances. However, be careful because if you make a payment above the minimum, it MAY be applied to ANY of the balances that you have. In order to assure that your payment is applied to the balance that you want, you must call them to let them know which balance you would like the payment applied to. 

Now, when a promotion is coming to an end, they MUST apply any amount paid above the minimum to that promotion if the payment is made within 3 months of the promotion ending. This is the law (didn't used to be).

I have always made minimum payments until the 3 month countdown begins, at which point I PIF for the promotion that is ending. I usually PIF earlier into that 3 month countdown rather than later just to avoid any confusion. I have heard of people paying very close to the end of the promotion, only to have the bank apply the payment after the promotion has ended, thus incurring all the accrued interest!  I just wish to avoid this situation, though I'm sure you could probably wait a bit longer than I do.

I've made promotional purchases at best buy, with different time periods. I've never paid a dime in interest. 

By the way, you may already know this, but when you are making a big purchase that is eligible for an interest free promotion, anything you add to that order also gets the same promotion.

Good Luck!

Message 6 of 7
Uplink

Okay thanks! That's how I thought it woked. I will just make sure to not charge anything when I have a promotion from now on, or at least get it all paid off by that date just in case.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.