Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Luv From CITI

tag
minimock
Frequent Contributor

No Luv From CITI

I have had my CITI card for almost two years been paying my daughter's tuition through it to the tune of 3 K a month. I tried to get the luv from them several times.

I talked to a CSR and she said no go. I kept telling her that she was checking a 6 month old report, and to check a new report, but she got kinda crappy with me and said she wasnt going to argu about it, so I told her to close it.

I turned around and appllied for a Plat Delta AMEX and was immediatly approved :-) (Trying not to hit utility too bad.)

Starting to think the only way some of these banks get the message is to close the account on them.

I am not saying just one person doing it will have any effect, but I would bet it has an effect if the masses started doing it, And it feels good on a personal level.

Dont like the bank? Loose the bank :-)

So we have two AMEX now.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: No Luv From CITI

That is ridiculous that Citi was treating you that way. You have good fico scores, you use their card a lot, and there is no reason for the rep to be anything less than grateful towards you.

Message 2 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

did the retention department try to stop you at least?

Another user on this forums was having issues with Citi for denying his app initially based off a couple months old EQ report. It's like they're trying to save on fees or something and cant be bothered to pull a fresh report. However, he talked to EO and the problem got rectified pretty quickly. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 26
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I would have attempted online to see if that would trigger a hard inquiry, or ask to speak to a supervisor. In my opinion, closing the card doesn't really help you or hurt them. I would never see a denied credit limit increase as a reason to close a card.

Message 4 of 26
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

I didn't use that card even remotely close to the amount you put on it per month and I got $1,000 CLI without any kind of pull on my credit. But I did have it for two years I believe.

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 5 of 26
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Sometimes there's nothing wrong with closing an account out of pride.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 6 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

While I hate closing accounta myself... You gotta do what you gotta do. If you are handling an account responsibly, and clearly you were, then they should have no reason helping you out.... If a card won't grow with me, I close it. Just like Target's trick azz.
Especially with Citi...
They always say "we will not rest til you are at peace" or some mumbo jumbo like that...yet they continue to provide premium products with subpar service. A premium credit product with subpar Customer Service simply causes the product to become not so premium.

Good luck :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 26
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I must be the odd one then. As long as a limit is within the spending I am going to put on the card, I don't care about the limit. I have a Chase Amazon at 1300 and don't really care to have it increased and hope they don't increase. It looks like they were pretty much in line with minimock's other credit limits anyway.

Message 8 of 26
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

Good on you. Too many others who are willing to provide excellent CS!!
Message 9 of 26
minimock
Frequent Contributor

It's just one of those things I guess.

You know when your at work, and they constantly pound in your head the customer is ALWAYS right.

Well I am very seldom the customer, but by God I was the customer today LOL.

Besides I just called AMEX, so I traded a 4k limit CITI plat for a AMEX Delta Plat with 12K

All in all not a bad day Smiley Happy

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

I understand everyone has different thoughts on these type issues, but I just kind of go with what makes sense for me :-)

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.