Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No US Bank for me. What now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No US Bank for me. What now?

This morning I gave US Bank a call, to apply for the US Bank Cash+ credit card that I have heard so much about from this forum. And, it really did sound awesome. Talking to a CSR that couldn't have been nicer. He explained everything in detail, took all my information, told me about their other card that offers 1% back on everything, etc.

He ran my application through and I was automatically denied for not only the US Bank Cash+ credit card, but also the one they offer that gives 1% back on everything. He then offered me a Student Visa card that US Bank offers, but I said no since I already have one from my own banking company. He told me that I could reapply in a few months, and they would keep my info on file. The main reason for denial was my income, and secondary was a thin file (3 years old..).

ETA: the phone number I called was 1-800-444-1244

Before, I officially head for the garden I would like one last credit card. This credit card would be used mainly at restaurants (both fast food & sit-down restaurants). At this point, I just want to apply for the companies that may actually consider me. Does anyone have any ideas? This is the list I've come up with:

Huntington Voice (3% restaurants)

PayPal Extras Mastercard (3x on restaurants) - I don't think I'll qualify for this, I've already been declined from the Debit Mastercard for using my college address.

Discover IT Chrome (2% on restaurants)

Chase Sapphire (2x on restaurants)

Out of those 4, which might I have the best shot at? Are there any others that I may be overlooking? I am NOT interested in the Freedom or Discover IT; their rotating categories are useless for me atm. Also, I don't qualify for Chase's AARP...I am not old enough for that one.

Additional details: Got denied by US Bank due to low income/thin file. Income: Roughly $16,000 (student...) AAoA: 1 year 6 months Oldest Account: 3 years Scores: Barclay says 727 for Fico. CreditKarma gave me a 752. HP inq: 4; one is falling off shortly.

Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: No US Bank for me. What now?

You are asking for advice but don't give any details about your income, FICO scores, utilization, AAoAs, etc... Kinda hard for someone to help you, don't you think?

Message 2 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Why were you denied for the US bank Cash+ did they give you an reason ? As far as an restaurant card would go if you are only geting 2x back , i would just get fidelity amex is an better all around card since its 2x on everything not just restaurant. FICO score, AAOA , HP inq would be an good start to point you in the right direction though. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of years ago it was said US Bank looked for $30K income and a five year credit file with a card at $5K for CL. A lot has changed in the industry since two years ago. Near as I can tell the backroom says 720 to 740 FICO is good. Note, there are a many posters on this web site that were approved outside the parameters listed. I noticed that a recommendation for the Fidelity Amex was made. Keep in mind that in your area do the vendors pretty much take AX?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses.

I have updated my OP with additional details.

Reason for denial: Low income/thin file

AAoA: 1 year 6 months

Oldest account: 3 years

Hard Inq: 4; one to fall off soon

Scores: Barclay says Fico is 727; CreditKarma lists me as 752.

Income: I'm a student. Roughly $16,000

Message 5 of 7
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This morning I gave US Bank a call, to apply for the US Bank Cash+ credit card that I have heard so much about from this forum. And, it really did sound awesome. Talking to a CSR that couldn't have been nicer. He explained everything in detail, took all my information, told me about their other card that offers 1% back on everything, etc.

He ran my application through and I was automatically denied for not only the US Bank Cash+ credit card, but also the one they offer that gives 1% back on everything. He then offered me a Student Visa card that US Bank offers, but I said no since I already have one from my own banking company. He told me that I could reapply in a few months, and they would keep my info on file. The main reason for denial was my income, and secondary was a thin file (3 years old..).

ETA: the phone number I called was 1-800-444-1244

Before, I officially head for the garden I would like one last credit card. This credit card would be used mainly at restaurants (both fast food & sit-down restaurants). At this point, I just want to apply for the companies that may actually consider me. Does anyone have any ideas? This is the list I've come up with:

Huntington Voice (3% restaurants)

PayPal Extras Mastercard (3x on restaurants) - I don't think I'll qualify for this, I've already been declined from the Debit Mastercard for using my college address.

Discover IT Chrome (2% on restaurants)

Chase Sapphire (2x on restaurants)

Out of those 4, which might I have the best shot at? Are there any others that I may be overlooking? I am NOT interested in the Freedom or Discover IT; their rotating categories are useless for me atm. Also, I don't qualify for Chase's AARP...I am not old enough for that one.

Additional details: Got denied by US Bank due to low income/thin file. Income: Roughly $16,000 (student...) AAoA: 1 year 6 months Oldest Account: 3 years Scores: Barclay says 727 for Fico. CreditKarma gave me a 752. HP inq: 4; one is falling off shortly.

Thanks everyone!

From the List I would suggest the Chrome or Sapphire ( If you have a Freedom you can transfer points between them)

OR the Amex another poster suggested 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 6 of 7
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

From your list, and what you have outlined, I would go for the Discover IT chrome.

AAOA and income are low, and you would get credit lines accordingly. 

In my opinion, its better to get a low CL on something like that, and wait til after garden, and better credit profile for some of the other cards.

Generally speaking 6 months of patience will get you a much higher original CL than the amount of a CLI on the same card in 6 months. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.