Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No chipped cards accepted

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: No chipped cards accepted

@nyan thanks. That actually explained a lot. But what would have happened if OP said my card wont be accepted manually? Like i work retail and my debit card fpr example cannot be processed as credit or entered manually. Because the bank set it up that way. So not sure if possible maybe it is but could a lender set it up where the card needs to be swiped?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 11 of 48
blondy250
Established Contributor

The card reader was a full insert card reader, I've used many times over my credit history so I definitely know how to use them. A the cards were rejected (the display message was card not read). The fee machine that you drive up too before you.exited definitely does not accept cash and the attendant clearly stated that the cards were not accepted because they were chipped. I found out later that the mall has several prepay kiosks inside the mall that accept cash or credit (no chipped cards). I gladly would have paid the $3 fee inside but when your on line to get out and there are other cars in line behind waiting to leave, getting out of your car to take an elevator to go inside to prepay really isn't an option. Just a cautionary tale, FYI the mall is Bay Plaza and is very new so hopefully these things will be worked out.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 12 of 48
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

I've discovered that some locations have chip card readers, but they apparently don't work. I went into a local Lowe's recently and someone ahead of me tried to use their card in the EMV slot and it wouldn't read the card. Cashier told them that it didn't work and he would have to slide it the old fashioned way. I guess by the end of 2015 things will be more mainstream at various locations.

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 13 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

The card reader was a full insert card reader, I've used many times over my credit history so I definitely know how to use them. A the cards were rejected (the display message was card not read). The fee machine that you drive up too before you.exited definitely does not accept cash and the attendant clearly stated that the cards were not accepted because they were chipped. I found out later that the mall has several prepay kiosks inside the mall that accept cash or credit (no chipped cards). I gladly would have paid the $3 fee inside but when your on line to get out and there are other cars in line behind waiting to leave, getting out of your car to take an elevator to go inside to prepay really isn't an option. Just a cautionary tale, FYI the mall is Bay Plaza and is very new so hopefully these things will be worked out.

It was a full insert card reader? And it said card not read? I'm POSITIVE what the problem was. You need to insert the card and LEAVE IT IN until it prompts you to remove it. I am 95% sure you inserted it and pulled it right back out, resulting in the card not read message.

If your card had a magnetic stripe, it would have worked. Thus the employee's belief that chip cards aren't accepted. I'd bet a coffee on it that they're accepted just fine - you just need to leave them in the slot, unlike a magstripe card that just gets pulled right back out.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 14 of 48
blondy250
Established Contributor

I appreciate your opinion, but that's not the case. I frequent many malls throughout the tri state region I'm very familiar on how to use the reader it's the same as the rest. The machine does not accept chipped cards. My theory is there's what appears to be an RFID reader below the card slot and that it detects the chip as the card is inserted but the system is not fully functional yet and that's why it's not read. Like I've stated I'm very familiar with all kinds of card readers this is one is no different ( I've used chip readers, RFId readers, contactless payment readers and traditional magnetic strip readers) Its not user error.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
Message 15 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

Is the card you have contactless? If not that's definitely not it. Try what I said... Insert and leave. You didn't answer if you did what I suspect (insert and immediately remove). Insert and wait for prompt. See if I'm right by trying it not just telling me I'm wrong.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 16 of 48
blondy250
Established Contributor

nyacat for the last time, I used the card correctly I'm very capable of following simple instructions. My GF got out her car and tried both my PRG and CSP after I did and got the same results, after that I hit the help button after where they clearly stated they DO NOT ACCEPT CHIPPED cards, after that my GF used her non chipped freedom card in the exact same way and it went through immediately, I really don't know what you don't comprehend. I'm not asking for instructions on how to work a CC I'm a 40 yr old man that's been using cards for 20 years, it's not user error. I'm just relaying a mildly annoying story, on things that happen in an imperfect world.

Fico 8 12/9/17
No inquires since 2014
Message 17 of 48
BGoneDebt
Contributor

Thank you!

While I will hold back on my personal thoughts about an establishment not taking cash, I have to say I'm glad I ead your post.  Headed into NYC this weekend, and I will make sure to carry my Discover also.  

Smiley Happy  NYC drives me nuts sometimes - we don't act like the rest of the world.

Starting Score: TU 584 EQ 560 EX 686
Current Score: TU 716 EQ 677 EX 714
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BGoneDebt wrote:

Thank you!

While I will hold back on my personal thoughts about an establishment not taking cash, I have to say I'm glad I ead your post.  Headed into NYC this weekend, and I will make sure to carry my Discover also.  

Smiley Happy  NYC drives me nuts sometimes - we don't act like the rest of the world.

Nah its just cause he was in the Bronx Smiley Happy jk OP

Message 19 of 48
BGoneDebt
Contributor

LOL....I grew up a Westchester girl...it's all my back yard.

Starting Score: TU 584 EQ 560 EX 686
Current Score: TU 716 EQ 677 EX 714
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.