Did you mean: 

No chipped cards accepted

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: No chipped cards accepted

@mxp114 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

Don't bother. I already tried to explain this to him politely and received an extremely rude and arrogant response. Frankly, I kinda hope now that he doesn't learn. In a couple years, he will be unable to buy gas anywhere as he arrogantly refuses to leave the card in the reader Smiley Happy .... 'Murica is in for a long, long road on customer acceptance with chip cards Smiley Sad 

I realize you want to be helpful but you're too confident in identifying the problem as the user despite the fact he is saying that he knows how to use EMV. You're "95% sure" but he's 100% sure on what happened, so I don't see why there's any dispute :/

nycbob already confirmed that I was correct from his experiences there. Also, the error message given is one that'd be given by an integrated reader if it was broken or if the card was removed prematurely.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 41 of 48
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

nycbob already confirmed that I was correct from his experiences there. Also, the error message given is one that'd be given by an integrated reader if it was broken or if the card was removed prematurely.

Nah, a user that registered hours ago to post twice about this is highly suspect. Besides things get fixed, so even if you personally went down to Bay Plaza today, it wouldn't prove anything. Also my point is you're way too condescending and keep insisting blondy doesn't know how to use EMV. It doesn't even matter what happened, you come across as petty at this point. 

Message 42 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

Nah, a user that registered hours ago to post twice about this is highly suspect. Besides things get fixed, so even if you personally went down to Bay Plaza today, it wouldn't prove anything. Also my point is you're way too condescending and keep insisting blondy doesn't know how to use EMV. It doesn't even matter what happened, you come across as petty at this point. 

If you're insinuating it's me, it definitely wasn't. Also, I never ruled out the possibility of a broken machine or a misconfigured connection to the back end - but the OP wouldn't provide the detail needed to determine that (the exact process he used). The error, however, suggests the card couldn't be read - not that it couldn't authorise. Which basically rules out a misconfiguration (not 100%, since terminals can give incorrect errors). As for a broken reader, that is possible, but usually there's more than one reader in parking garages (I've never been to this one, but the ones I'm familiar with all have at least a few pay stations).

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 43 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

If you're insinuating it's me, it definitely wasn't. Also, I never ruled out the possibility of a broken machine or a misconfigured connection to the back end - but the OP wouldn't provide the detail needed to determine that (the exact process he used). The error, however, suggests the card couldn't be read - not that it couldn't authorise. Which basically rules out a misconfiguration (not 100%, since terminals can give incorrect errors). As for a broken reader, that is possible, but usually there's more than one reader in parking garages (I've never been to this one, but the ones I'm familiar with all have at least a few pay stations).

Blondy mentioned all of his and his GF's EMV cards were rejected, but his GF's non EMV Freedom worked.  Assuming he tried several cards, the odds are good that a few of them were left in the terminal for the requisite amount of time.

I appreciate you're trying to suggest it's user error, but there's no reason to dispute his accounting.  The non-EMV Freedom card worked period.

Message 44 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

While confusion exists on happenings related to Chip & Pin etc this has been a very educational thread as it seems there are more exceptions to the rules than there are rules (love simplicity NOT!). Good old USA going with Chip & Signature. Don't follow the rest of the world.

Message 45 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
While confusion exists on happenings related to Chip & Pin etc this has been a very educational thread. Good old USA going with Chip & Signature. Don't follow the rest of the world.

In my view, this is the single best attribute of the "good old" USA and its companies.  Following are for sheep, and I would hope America will never follow the world, for the sake of conformity.

Consumer protection laws have not advanced at the same pace of technology, where "chip & pin" doesn't have the same consumer protection as "chip & sig".  In other words, in the case of "chip & pin" fraud, the onus of proof is on the consumer, where for "chip & sig," it's on the merchant/bank.

Unless our consumer laws keep pace, I will *NEVER* adopt chip & pin, regardless of what the world chooses to do.

PS - However, if consumer protection laws keep pace, I'll be more than happy to adopt chip & pin.

Message 46 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Blondy mentioned all of his and his GF's EMV cards were rejected, but his GF's non EMV Freedom worked.  Assuming he tried several cards, the odds are good that a few of them were left in the terminal for the requisite amount of time.

I appreciate you're trying to suggest it's user error, but there's no reason to dispute his accounting.  The non-EMV Freedom card worked period.

In a dip reader, they're used differently, a non EMV card is inserted and removed in one motion. An EMV card is inserted and left inside for five seconds or so (until prompted to remove). Thus, of course the non-EMV card would work if inserted with the motion for a non-EMV card. Again, I can't rule out from those messages that one terminal was broken - but I'd be shocked if there wasn't more than one terminal there.

This user error can go the other way too, but it will end up working. I was at a parking lot in Canada last year, same type of machine (dip reader, with a PICTURE of a chip card on the machine, in Canada where chip is common). I inserted the card. And it didn't react. And I waited, and waited, and waited and it still said insert card. I removed the card in frustration, and it went to processing! The reader was not chip-enabled, so it read the magstripe on removal. The prompting was terrible that it didn't say remove card or "insert and quickly remove"

The reason magstripe readers read on removal is because it is human nature to use a smooth, quick removal motion - thus they get a more reliable read.

Message 47 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
While confusion exists on happenings related to Chip & Pin etc this has been a very educational thread. Good old USA going with Chip & Signature. Don't follow the rest of the world.

In my view, this is the single best attribute of the "good old" USA and its companies.  Following are for sheep, and I would hope America will never follow the world, for the sake of conformity.

Consumer protection laws have not advanced at the same pace of technology, where "chip & pin" doesn't have the same consumer protection as "chip & sig".  In other words, in the case of "chip & pin" fraud, the onus of proof is on the consumer, where for "chip & sig," it's on the merchant/bank.

Unless our consumer laws keep pace, I will *NEVER* adopt chip & pin, regardless of what the world chooses to do.

PS - However, if consumer protection laws keep pace, I'll be more than happy to adopt chip & pin.

In the UK, the same consumer protections exist for chip and PIN. In other countries, there were NEVER as strong of consumer protections even before chip and PIN.

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.