Not applicable

Re: No chipped cards accepted

all i gotta say is god bless suburban malls and their free parking Smiley LOL

Message 21 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
@nyan thanks. That actually explained a lot. But what would have happened if OP said my card wont be accepted manually? Like i work retail and my debit card fpr example cannot be processed as credit or entered manually. Because the bank set it up that way. So not sure if possible maybe it is but could a lender set it up where the card needs to be swiped?

I doubt your bank actually set it up so it can't be ran manually (though they could), but rather, based on your description, so it can't be run over the major international network it's tied to (Visa/MC). Regardless, it is possible an issuer could set it up. They'd simply set their risk management to refuse keyed entry transactions with a decline.

The OP made it clear there's no point trying to educate him, but to you and anyone else if you're ever in these shoes, usually there is a chip reader. In the case of a full insert reader, it's in the same reader. For a magnetic stripe card you insert and quickly remove the card. For a chip card you insert and leave it inserted, if you take it out early you will get an error. So if this ever happens to you, pop the card in and wait. It's possible his machine was misconfigured so it thought there was a chip reader when there wasn't, I've heard of it happening, but it's very rare. If he did it properly (inserted and waited, we don't know because he refused to answer - but I doubt he did), it's also possible there was a chip reader and it was broken.

This is going to be a major issue over the next year, far more than I first realised. Insert card seems like such an easy concept, but it's just not to a great number of Americans. There were customer training issues in other countries, but nothing like I expect will happen here.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 22 of 48
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

This is strange for the US.  I had a few examples in Europe  where my chip cards could not be processed because they were default to chip & pin and all  of my chip cards are only chip & signature. The fall back to chip & pin did not work at a ticket vending machine. So I tried Cap1 with no chip and it asked for ATM pin and smoothly processed. In these rare occasions I learnt either you have real chip & pin or make sure to still have a magnetic stripe card that processes the old fashioned way but it worked.

There is no way I would have given my CC number either .. I might have asked to open the gate with no payment ...lol

Message 23 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

This is strange for the US.  I had a few examples in Europe  where my chip cards could not be processed because they were default to chip & pin and all  of my chip cards are only chip & signature. The fall back to chip & pin did not work at a ticket vending machine. So I tried Cap1 with no chip and it asked for ATM pin and smoothly processed. In these rare occasions I learnt either you have real chip & pin or make sure to still have a magnetic stripe card that processes the old fashioned way but it worked.

There is no way I would have given my CC number either .. I might have asked to open the gate with no payment ...lol

No turnstyle to jump?

Message 24 of 48
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

No turnstyle to jump?

Nope... personal ticket control in train with a 90$ fee if no ticket presented ....so no way around to get that machine to issue a ticket !...or queue up for hours behind the counter..lol

Message 25 of 48
nyancat
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

The reason for the behaviour you noted is because a chip card MUST honour the CVM list (doesn't always, but is required to - there are machines that don't). A magnetic stripe card CVM is determined by the terminal. This is why, for a magstripe card, you must know your online PIN (aka "cash advance" PIN) if you'll be in eastern Europe (where magstripe+PIN is common). Don't worry, you won't be charged as a cash advance for a purchase, no matter what you're told. That'd be incorrect coding. Bank CSRs rarely understand that the coding of the transaction, not the verification, determines if it's a cash advance.

As for the cards not working with PIN backup, but working with a magstripe card - that is quite surprising to me. What chip cards were you using, and did they actually have PIN in the CVM list? Most Visa cards do NOT (except for Bank of America and some smaller banks), while ALL MasterCards do (MasterCard requires it). This is usually just online-verified PIN, but if it could verify the PIN on a magstripe card, it should have been able to verify online PIN on a chip card if the CVM list allowed it. In my experience, if a machine won't take an online PIN capable chip card, it won't take a magstripe card either - it wants to verify an OFFLINE PIN.

What county were you in and what machines were you using? Also, good news - this situation should get better as Visa is going to be requiring newly installed machines to support no CVM (don't verify the cardholder), which is in the CVM list (at the bottom) for all chip cards.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

No turnstyle to jump?

Nope... personal ticket control in train with a 90$ fee if no ticket presented ....so no way around to get that machine to issue a ticket !...or queue up for hours behind the counter..lol

Just tell em you dropped it on the tracks.

Message 27 of 48
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Nixon... too bad..that does not work and "your fault  - you pay" ...maybe could get the tourist bonus boarding from the airport station claiming not knowing that a valid ticket is must before bording the train...lol

Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous... too bad..that does not work and "your fault  - you pay" ...maybe could get the tourist bonus boarding from the airport station claiming not knowing that a valid ticket is must before bording the train...lol

Lol...I guess.

I was just kidding btw.

Personal responsibility seems to not be a foreign concept there.. Interesting.

Message 29 of 48
Shock
Established Contributor

why in the world isnt there a kiosk where you pay before driving out. or having a manned booth. paying at the gate is just asking for a 20 car pile up behind that one guy who cant get his credit card to work.

which happens to be OP lol

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.