Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit file

tag
j2figuer

No credit file

Hello everyone,

My husband is a new US resident and very new to establishing credit. He was denied for the Capital One secured card a few weeks back due to not having a credit file. We sent a recon letter but as of now we have not received a response. We needed a second car and surprisingly he was able to get a small loan and that should hopefully start generating a file/ score. We got pretty discouraged on the CC situation but I read a lot of posts here recommending DCU for people in similar situations. He applied for the secured Visa but was notified that they actually approved him for a '' regular'' Visa with a 3k limit!

My question is should he try to get another credit card now or should the loan and the one cc be enough for him to build a good score soon?  We plan on keeping the Visa at 10% util.

Adding him as an authorized user on my accounts is not an option at this time since I am working on cleaning up some things and I don't want that to affect his credit.

Any advice/ input would be greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
down_n_out
Contributor

Re: No credit file

Going through a similar situation but I am not a new resident, I got a unsecured Cap One Card but thats all i could get. You can try FingerHut Credit and there are few other CC that don't do credit checks I think OpenSky Secure Card.

Message 2 of 8
ptilda
Established Contributor

I was able to put hubby on my Wally card and my Fidelity card before he even gets here & gets a SSN. Without that, I would see if you can get Walmart or something else with the limited file. They just want to be sure he's a real person & not someone setting up a fradulent account.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 3 of 8
parakleet
Valued Contributor

i would stick with the DCU visa for now and work on building a good payment history for at least the next 6-12 months. By that time, you will have more options available to you in terms of credit cards. I wouldn't bother with secured cards or other subprime cards right now. The dcu card is a good card so I'd just stick with that for now. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 8
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@j2figuer wrote:

Hello everyone,

My husband is a new US resident and very new to establishing credit. He was denied for the Capital One secured card a few weeks back due to not having a credit file. We sent a recon letter but as of now we have not received a response. We needed a second car and surprisingly he was able to get a small loan and that should hopefully start generating a file/ score. We got pretty discouraged on the CC situation but I read a lot of posts here recommending DCU for people in similar situations. He applied for the secured Visa but was notified that they actually approved him for a '' regular'' Visa with a 3k limit!

My question is should he try to get another credit card now or should the loan and the one cc be enough for him to build a good score soon?  We plan on keeping the Visa at 10% util.

Adding him as an authorized user on my accounts is not an option at this time since I am working on cleaning up some things and I don't want that to affect his credit.

What is the DCU card?

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 5 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@j2figuer wrote:

Hello everyone,

Congrats!   I'd recommend getting at least 6 months of payment history on the DCU Visa to generate a FICO score and positive payment record.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 8
j2figuer

It is a credit union. Their website is DCU.org. So far, they seem nice to deal with.

Message 7 of 8
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@j2figuer wrote:

It is a credit union. Their website is DCU.org. So far, they seem nice to deal with.

Thank You

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.