cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit history, denied Chase Freedom, how to recon?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No credit history, denied Chase Freedom, how to recon?

@espnjunkie wrote:

Chase Freedom is considered to be a prime card and without established credit history there is pretty much zero chance of successful recon. I'd suggest applying for a starter Capital One card, letting that account age for 6 months and then applying from there

I'd beg to differ on the Freedom's being a prime card (640 FICO qualification, or anyone describing any card as "prime" for that matter); however, you're correct: Chase's near hard-line minimum is 1 year on a revolving tradeline for a Freedom.  Exceptions have been made but it's few and far between and usually when someone has a non-trivial relationship with Chase already.  Traditionally they haven't counted AU's either is my understanding.

@nukpana: Chase simply isn't student friendly, nor new credit file friendly.  They had a student card at one point and they likely had a secured card at one point as well, but they haven't in years.  Think that was part portfolio management, and part marketing (vis a vis old-school Amex), not certain why they haven't changed that as there's a Chase bank popping up on nearly every street corner in the sleepy married-with-children portion of LA I live in: if they're reaching out to compete with BOFA and WF on the consumer side, you'd think they'd open up their portfolio options a bit more.

I think Cap One unsecured is a good recommendation, as is either a BOFA or SDFCU secured card.  When did you get added as the AU (ACM) on the Costco Amex?  If it's been a while you might have more options but I am unfamiliar with AU-only files when it comes to most lender approvals: someone can likely better answer that question if you have non-trivial time on that tradeline.

        
Message 11 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@espnjunkie wrote:

Chase Freedom is considered to be a prime card and without established credit history there is pretty much zero chance of successful recon. I'd suggest applying for a starter Capital One card, letting that account age for 6 months and then applying from there

I'd beg to differ on the Freedom's being a prime card (640 FICO qualification, or anyone describing any card as "prime" for that matter); however, you're correct: Chase's near hard-line minimum is 1 year on a revolving tradeline for a Freedom.  Exceptions have been made but it's few and far between and usually when someone has a non-trivial relationship with Chase already.  Traditionally they haven't counted AU's either is my understanding.

@nukpana: Chase simply isn't student friendly, nor new credit file friendly.  They had a student card at one point and they likely had a secured card at one point as well, but they haven't in years.  Think that was part portfolio management, and part marketing (vis a vis old-school Amex), not certain why they haven't changed that as there's a Chase bank popping up on nearly every street corner in the sleepy married-with-children portion of LA I live in: if they're reaching out to compete with BOFA and WF on the consumer side, you'd think they'd open up their portfolio options a bit more.

I think Cap One unsecured is a good recommendation, as is either a BOFA or SDFCU secured card.  When did you get added as the AU (ACM) on the Costco Amex?  If it's been a while you might have more options but I am unfamiliar with AU-only files when it comes to most lender approvals: someone can likely better answer that question if you have non-trivial time on that tradeline.

I'm not certain how set in stone it is but I have heard of another category which I think is applicable here called near prime. These are cards for people in the 600s range. Scores below 600 are considered subprime. There is no way that the freedom is a sub prime card, but it may be the middle ground between sub-prime and prime. Some definitions consider near-prime and sub-prime the same, but I think there is a middle ground. There is a big difference from 500 to 640 for example. 

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2013/01/10/banks-offering-more-near-prime-credit-cards/

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 17
noobody
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
 Chase's near hard-line minimum is 1 year on a revolving tradeline for a Freedom.  Exceptions have been made but it's few and far between and usually when someone has a non-trivial relationship with Chase already. 
+1
several of my young friends applied for freedom and being denied, during recon, they always ask for 1 year credit card history. one of them denied for short of history at 11.5 month mark, recon, got 500CL, after hevey usage for several month, autoCLI to 2k, then apply and approved CSP for 7K
so IMHO, do not waste a hard pull on freedom until you have 12 month positive TL 

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 13 of 17
shark268
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@espnjunkie wrote:

I got instant approval of the Freedom this last week with 8 months credit history and no relationship with Chase whatsoever. This was also after TWO app-o-ramas where I opened like.. 8 accounts within the last 2 months. 

edit: added quoted text

4/2013 first credit ever. Eq Fico 749, discover TU fico 777

NFCU NavChek: 15k // NFCU CashRewards 14k // Sportsman's Guide Visa 9k // CSP 7.5k // CU LOC 7.5k // Amex BCE 6k (1987) // Total Rewards 5.5k // BarclayCard Ring 5k // Amex ED 4.5k (1987) // Commerce Bank 4k // Cap1 VentureOne 3k // JCrew Store: $6.45k // WF Visa 3k // Amazon Store 2.5k // Quicksilver MC $1.5k // Discover IT $1250 // Chase Freedom $1k // PenFed LOC $500
Message 14 of 17
toppers555
Established Contributor

@ OP . You do know Chase no longer does  Student loans correct?

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 15 of 17
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@toppers555 wrote:

@ OP . You do know Chase no longer does  Student loans correct?

+1 I was going to say this. They discontinued October 2013.  

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 16 of 17
nukpana

Oh crud, I did not know they discontinued student loans. Thank you for the tip! Man, I feel like they are getting rid of everything.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.