Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit history....

tag
chucky1234
Contributor

No credit history....

Hello everyone, I just arrived to the US a few months ago and just applied for the Cap One Secured Mastercard and was approved for $200. My husband has added me as AU on his Victoria Secret and Limited CC. Should I wait for a few months to apply for the unsecured credit cards or should I apply now? I hear some folks applying for the Discover IT and Chase card and getting approved with no or limited credit history. Any advise?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: No credit history....

How long have you been an AU?

How are you husbands scores and are balances low on existing cards?

@chucky1234 wrote:

Hello everyone, I just arrived to the US a few months ago and just applied for the Cap One Secured Mastercard and was approved for $200. My husband has added me as AU on his Victoria Secret and Limited CC. Should I wait for a few months to apply for the unsecured credit cards or should I apply now? I hear some folks applying for the Discover IT and Chase card and getting approved with no or limited credit history. Any advise?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 18
eviLution
Established Contributor

Wait til you get at least 6 months of revolving credit history before apping for Discover and wait til you get 1 year of history til you go for the Chase Freedom.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 3 of 18
chucky1234
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

I have been an AU on his accounts for about 1 month ago and his balances are with low balances.

Not sure why my husbands scores would matter? Just curious?

Message 4 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

His score will also affect you as an AU Wait 7 months to a year and you should be in good shape.

Good Luck 

@chucky1234 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

I have been an AU on his accounts for about 1 month ago and his balances are with low balances.

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

His score will also affect you as an AU Wait 7 months to a year and you should be in good shape.

Good Luck 

@chucky1234 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

Sorry I have to speak up here...  His SCORE itself will not affect you, but what will effect you is the payment history on those account on which he adds you as an AU.  If he has other accounts that you are not AU on, they will not affect you.

As long as the account has a low balance, or zero balance, and as long as the account has no negatives such as missed payments, then it will be fine you can only benefit

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Good Luck 

@chucky1234 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

Sorry I have to speak up here...  His SCORE itself will not affect you, but what will effect you is the payment history on those account on which he adds you as an AU.  If he has other accounts that you are not AU on, they will not affect you.

As long as the account has a low balance, or zero balance, and as long as the account has no negatives such as missed payments, then it will be fine you can only benefit

I stand corrected

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 18
Phizzle
New Contributor

The primary's score should not affect an AU score. Everyone's profile is individual to them. The only time his would make a difference is on a joint application.

What will affect your score are his usage and payment history on the cards. Generally speaking, for most known "prime" bank's unsecured products, you want at least six months history (referring to your Chase and Discover reference). Some others may approve you for lower limits (like store cards). I would suggest taking care of your current line for 6 months or so before trying.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 18
chucky1234
Contributor

@Phizzle wrote:

The primary's score should not affect an AU score. Everyone's profile is individual to them. The only time his would make a difference is on a joint application.

What will affect your score are his usage and payment history on the cards. Generally speaking, for most known "prime" bank's unsecured products, you want at least six months history (referring to you your Chase and Discover reference). Some others may approve you for lower limits (like store cards). I would suggest taking care of your current line for 6 months or so before trying.

Good luck!

Great, thank you!

One last question how long before my credit reports generate a fico score? Anybody?

Message 9 of 18
TranTX
Established Member

You may want to apply for Capital One Newcomers.

CHASE: Freedom Visa 5K, Freedom MC 8.5K, United 5.9K, SP 5K
BK of AMER: Better Balance Rewards MC 11.3K
American Express: BCP 5.5K, PRG NPSL
Discover MORE 3.5K, MORE joint 500
Citi: Platinum 3250, AA Visa 6.5K, AA Business 13K
Barclay NFL: Visa 7.5k, MC 7k
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.