New Contributor
chucky1234

No credit history....

Hello everyone, I just arrived to the US a few months ago and just applied for the Cap One Secured Mastercard and was approved for $200. My husband has added me as AU on his Victoria Secret and Limited CC. Should I wait for a few months to apply for the unsecured credit cards or should I apply now? I hear some folks applying for the Discover IT and Chase card and getting approved with no or limited credit history. Any advise?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: No credit history....

How long have you been an AU?

How are you husbands scores and are balances low on existing cards?

chucky1234 wrote:

Hello everyone, I just arrived to the US a few months ago and just applied for the Cap One Secured Mastercard and was approved for $200. My husband has added me as AU on his Victoria Secret and Limited CC. Should I wait for a few months to apply for the unsecured credit cards or should I apply now? I hear some folks applying for the Discover IT and Chase card and getting approved with no or limited credit history. Any advise?

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Cap1 EO link below
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Capital+One+CEO+email+address+#seen
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
Established Contributor
eviLution

Wait til you get at least 6 months of revolving credit history before apping for Discover and wait til you get 1 year of history til you go for the Chase Freedom.

Current Score: DCU EQ 714 - EX+ 746 - WM TU 746
Goal Score: 750+

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 6000 - Chase Freedom: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
New Contributor
chucky1234

myjourney wrote:

chucky1234 wrote:

I have been an AU on his accounts for about 1 month ago and his balances are with low balances.

Not sure why my husbands scores would matter? Just curious?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

His score will also affect you as an AU Wait 7 months to a year and you should be in good shape.

Good Luck 

chucky1234 wrote:

myjourney wrote:

chucky1234 wrote:

I have been an AU on his accounts for about 1 month ago and his balances are with low balances.

Cap1 EO link below
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

myjourney wrote:

His score will also affect you as an AU Wait 7 months to a year and you should be in good shape.

Good Luck 

chucky1234 wrote:

myjourney wrote:

chucky1234 wrote:

Sorry I have to speak up here...  His SCORE itself will not affect you, but what will effect you is the payment history on those account on which he adds you as an AU.  If he has other accounts that you are not AU on, they will not affect you.

As long as the account has a low balance, or zero balance, and as long as the account has no negatives such as missed payments, then it will be fine you can only benefit

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

webhopper wrote:

myjourney wrote:

Good Luck 

chucky1234 wrote:

myjourney wrote:

chucky1234 wrote:

Sorry I have to speak up here...  His SCORE itself will not affect you, but what will effect you is the payment history on those account on which he adds you as an AU.  If he has other accounts that you are not AU on, they will not affect you.

As long as the account has a low balance, or zero balance, and as long as the account has no negatives such as missed payments, then it will be fine you can only benefit

I stand corrected

Cap1 EO link below
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
New Contributor
Phizzle

[ Edited ]

The primary's score should not affect an AU score. Everyone's profile is individual to them. The only time his would make a difference is on a joint application.

What will affect your score are his usage and payment history on the cards. Generally speaking, for most known "prime" bank's unsecured products, you want at least six months history (referring to your Chase and Discover reference). Some others may approve you for lower limits (like store cards). I would suggest taking care of your current line for 6 months or so before trying.

Good luck!

New Contributor
chucky1234

Phizzle wrote:

The primary's score should not affect an AU score. Everyone's profile is individual to them. The only time his would make a difference is on a joint application.

What will affect your score are his usage and payment history on the cards. Generally speaking, for most known "prime" bank's unsecured products, you want at least six months history (referring to you your Chase and Discover reference). Some others may approve you for lower limits (like store cards). I would suggest taking care of your current line for 6 months or so before trying.

Good luck!

Great, thank you!

One last question how long before my credit reports generate a fico score? Anybody?

Established Member
TranTX

You may want to apply for Capital One Newcomers.

CHASE: Freedom Visa 5K, Freedom MC 8.5K, United 5.9K, SP 5K
BK of AMER: Better Balance Rewards MC 11.3K
American Express: BCP 5.5K, PRG NPSL
Discover MORE 3.5K, MORE joint 500
Citi: Platinum 3250, AA Visa 6.5K, AA Business 13K
Barclay NFL: Visa 7.5k, MC 7k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+